Thread: Ted Nolan out as Islanders coach?

All League

Ted Nolan out as Islanders coach?

Doesn't want to coach kids I guess?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,3241479.story

The two-year marriage of inconvenience between Islanders general manager Garth Snow and coach Ted Nolan ended Monday. Irreconcilable differences over the direction of the franchise led to a mutual decision by Snow and Nolan, who met earlier Monday morning at Nassau Coliseum, to part ways.

Nolan quickly gained popularity with Islanders fans in his first season when his motivational touch and hard-working style of play produced an eighth-place finish in the Eastern Conference and a playoff berth by a team most experts picked to finish near the bottom of the NHL. But last season's playoff hopes faded because of injuries and a series of distracting internal disputes between Nolan and Snow, and several key players apparently lost faith in the coach's methods.

The rift between Nolan and the organization became apparent last spring after his request for a contract extension before the final year of his three-year contract was denied by owner Charles Wang. When Snow became convinced that Nolan did not share his belief in rebuilding by emphasizing the development of the organization's young prospects, he made the decision to end the power struggle and seek a partnership with a coach of his own choosing.

Describing the reasons for making a coaching change, Snow said, "There were philosophical differences between Ted and myself. Since last season and continuing into the summer, I have realized we don't share the same philosophies as Ted. I'd like to thank Ted for his two years with the team and wish him the best."

Asked why it took three months since the end of the season to reach this conclusion, Snow said, "That's a fair question. This has been a difficult decision for both Ted and myself, especially for me because of [Islanders owner] Charles Wang's desire to give Ted the opportunity to coach in the NHL and because of his loyalty to those he hires.

"I understand there could be some criticism, and if there is, it can fall on me. What I can tell you is there was a process. I spoke with Ted regularly following the season and when the draft and free agency ended. Our strong belief about our philosophical differences led me to believe, and Ted as well, that we needed to part ways. I know this decision will be best for not only the team and our fans, but for Ted as well."

No successor is in place, but Snow said he plans to begin a search for a replacement "as soon as possible." Three logical candidates who figure to be on the list include Paul Maurice, John Tortorella and Bob Hartley. Those three were fired last season by Toronto, Tampa Bay and Atlanta, respectively. There is a strong connection between Snow and Hartley, who once coached the Isles' GM.

Former Islanders stars Bryan Trottier, who is now executive director of player development, and Butch Goring, who is a part-time television commentator, are not expected to join the list of candidates, and neither is Jack Capuano, who coaches the team's AHL affiliate in Bridgeport.

Nolan, who compiled a two-season record of 75-68-21, must be paid for the final year of his contract, which is believed to be in the vicinity of $600,000 per year. He was not immediately available for comment.

It was Wang who hired Nolan two years ago in an earlier shakeup that saw former general manager Mike Milbury moved out of hockey operations to become vice-president of marketing. Nolan had been out of the NHL for nine seasons after a two-year coaching stint in Buffalo ended in a controversy that also cost Sabres GM John Muckler his job. Nolan, who is a member of Canada's First Nation, expressed the belief that racial bias was partly to blame for his long absence from the league.

After hiring Nolan, Wang named former Rangers president Neil Smith as the Islanders' GM. But after only 40 days on the job, Smith was fired because he resisted the management-by-committee approach favored by Wang, who replaced him with Snow, who was the Isles' backup goaltender at the time.

In their first season working together, things seemed to go smoothly for Snow and Nolan. No one was more excited than Nolan when Snow pulled off the trade for Edmonton forward Ryan Smyth to help with the playoff drive, and no one was more disappointed than the coach when they lost Smyth and several other free agents last summer. But Nolan was heavily involved in all the personnel decisions when Snow signed free agents Bill Guerin, Mike Comrie, Ruslan Fedetenko, Jonathan Sim and Andy Sutton a year ago.

As the season progressed, differences between Snow and Nolan became apparent. Nolan preferred to rely on tested veterans, while Snow privately urged him to give more playing time to such young players as Jeff Tambellini, Blake Comeau and Frans Nielsen. Snow also was concerned about the Isles' 29th-ranked power play and Nolan's refusal to give young players an opportunity and his insistence on playing forward Miroslav Satan at the point, where he committed several turnovers.

Nolan's 1-3-1 defensive system in which one defenseman was designated to mirror the opposing center as he entered the Isles' zone was another bone of contention. When Nolan finally changed the defensive system, and the injury-weakened Islanders shutdown high-powered Pittsburgh in a 4-1 home win in late March, Snow took it as a sign that the Islanders should have been playing that way all along.

As the season deteriorated, the flare-ups between Snow and Nolan became more public. Snow second-guessed the coach's decision to play backup goalie Wade Dubielewicz ahead of a healthy Rick DiPietro during a radio interview before a home game against the Rangers in early March. The coach carped about not being invited to the "Core of Four" dinner celebrating the Islanders' Stanley Cup teams from 1980-83, which later was disputed by a team source.

The rift grew when Nolan raised the contract extension issue and then complained publicly about Snow's characterization of his role in the decision to part with Dubielewicz in free agency. When it came time for the draft and free-agent signings this summer, Nolan was completely out of the decision-making loop.

The break was irretrievable, so, the divorce became final Monday.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Is there anything more ridiculous than the NY Islanders. So stupid. Can't wait to see who he brings in as coach. I heard he's been talking to Tommy Soderstrom about the job.

All League
    From Milbury to Snow.....utterly clueless!!

Good for Nolan. He deserves better than the Mausoleum and that mess of an organ-I-zation.

The Islanders are an absolute joke. Ted Nolan is a great coach and did a tremendous job with zero talent and despite having a romper room front office. No one in their right mind would want to play or coach for this laughingstock organization. Charles Wang needs to either sell the team or throw millions at someone who has a clue to run this team.

Hall Of Fame
    I can't tell you how f****** pissed I am right now. A backup goalie who should have never been elevated to such a high position just basically fired the only positive the Islanders had going for them. Last years roster was a complete joke and should have won 25 games. Snow showed what a moron he is during the whole Ryan Smyth debacle and now he lets Nolan go, the guy who got more out of the rag tag roster than anyone else could have. I'm a little buzzed now, but I have to admit this franchise should be sold and playing in Little Rock or Biloxi.
    Good God!

Dumb move on the Isles. Nolan is a good coach. This may not seem like much but awhile ago SI polled NHL players and asked who they would love to play for Mike Babcock came in first and Ted Nolan was voted 2nd. I don't know what issue it was in or if it matters, but thought it was interesting.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by METER View Post
    Dumb move on the Isles. Nolan is a good coach. This may not seem like much but awhile ago SI polled NHL players and asked who they would love to play for Mike Babcock came in first and Ted Nolan was voted 2nd. I don't know what issue it was in or if it matters, but thought it was interesting.
    You're damn right it matters. In another poll. NHL players were asked which team they'd like to play for and the Islanders came in second to last. So basically, the Islanders just got rid of their only attractive option to free agents. This team is screwed for years now.

Apparently Snow thought the team was "underachieving"...

Maybe Snow was trying to tank to get a shot at Stamkos and Nolan's mild success (relative to the putrid roster) set him off.

All League
    Nolan's a good coach. Snow is a tool.

Hall Of Fame
    Coach wanted. You'll play in an outadted, cockroach infested arenaa with a team built around an injury prone goalie with a 50 year 1 billion dollar contract. If interested, contact New York Islanders.

All Pro
    Snow wants to tank for Tavares.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y View Post
    Coach wanted. You'll play in an outadted, cockroach infested arenaa with a team built around an injury prone goalie with a 50 year 1 billion dollar contract. If interested, contact New York Islanders.
    LOL.

I wanted to give Snow a chance. Ryan Smyth was good, then let him get away, I said "ah well, sometimes shyt happens". Then the draft - why would you not take the best guy at pick 5 instead of trading down twice to pick an unknown at 9, then I said "OK, got a bunch of youth for the farm, maybe things'll be good for some years in a few years". Now to fire Nolan who was a pretty good coach IMO. I think Snow's chances have run out. What an a$$hole.

Although I did see a few games last season when the Isles did look a bit uninspired. Maybe Nolan did lose the team a bit. Hey, look at this- I'm like the battered wife (mmm, crispy!) - keep comin back for more! Jeez.... Shoot me now.

All League
    I think ultimately it came down to Ted is not great with young players. He's done a real good job with not alot on the roster, but I think their kids are pretty good and they want them to play rather then players like Ted's buddy Andy Hilbrith or however you spell it. I could never see why he stuck with some of the older veterans for so long, when it was obvious they were not going anywhere last year. So i think that was the big sticking point.

This team is never going to afford or lure the big name free agents, so it is going to need to have kids play like some of Pitt's kids to get them respectable and then the free agents will take a look. I don't think Ted wanted to do that, he wanted to compete for the playoffs each year, but I think this team needs to take a chance with alot of these young kids they have and if that means struggling for a bit, then let's do it now. but the kids have to play, the Goalie is not getting any younger, even though he's signed forever.

All League
    Where's Jordy been at?

It only became weird when he hasn't yet posted in a Ted Nolan thread

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y View Post
    A backup goalie who should have never been elevated to such a high position just basically fired the only positive the Islanders had going for them.
    Agreed. Wang got Snowed under. Here I thought The CMan would bring them back. He's made some horrendous moves.

All League
    So who's gunna be coach? Sounds like Snow has interviewed just about everyone, including the janitorial staff here at work. That's probably who he'll hire, then...

All League
    Any news from Isles land? Snow said it would take a week or two, and it's been about three weeks now.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Down t0 3 candidates Hartley, Maurice, Gordon-hopefully he decides before training camp starts.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBoydOdegard View Post
    Down t0 3 candidates Hartley, Maurice, Gordon-hopefully he decides before training camp starts.
    I'm not a fan of Maurice, and "they" say Hartley lost his team in ATL, kinda like "they" said Nolan loast his team here. I know nothing of Gordon, though.