Thread: Fernando Impresses Keith Law

Fernando Impresses Keith Law

Per metsblog.

During yesterday’s Futures Game at Yankee Stadium, in which the World defeated the U.S.A by a score of 3 to 0, Mets OF prospect Fernando Martinez was 1-for-2, while playing five innings in center field.

Keith Law of ESPN.com said Martinez was one of ten who impressed at the event, writing:

“No one from either squad looked better in BP than Martinez, who put one in the third deck in right, another off the facing of the second deck and a third to dead center. He lets the ball travel and commits late to swinging, which he can do because of his plus bat speed. He only had two at-bats, because just one of the five World Team outfielders, the overmatched Gorkys Hernandez, played the full nine innings.”

Martinez is hitting .294 with 12 2B, 2 3B, 4 HR and 21 RBI in 52 games with Double-A Binghamton this season.

Fernando in left field?

He is still only 19. I am not sure if it would be good to keep him up here possibly platooning while he could be playing everyday at AA. Tough call but its nice to know their is a backup plan if Omar does't find a replacement corner outfielder.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    Fernando in left field?

He is still only 19. I am not sure if it would be good to keep him up here possibly platooning while he could be playing everyday at AA. Tough call but its nice to know their is a backup plan if Omar does't find a replacement corner outfielder.
    With his supposed arm, hes a RF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    LF he can't cover ground like Church.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Yeah I was assuming that Church will play most of the 2nd half but that is yet to be determined.

He also played left in spring training and made some nice plays and a great diving catch that I think was #1 on sportscenter that night.