Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John McLaughlin refers to Barack Obama as an "Oreo"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

John McLaughlin refers to Barack Obama as an "Oreo"

Let me guess....satire also?????

[QUOTE][SIZE="5"]McLaughlin takes heat for 'Oreo' comment[/SIZE]
    Posted: 03:09 PM ET

(CNN) — Longtime Washington talk-show host John McLaughlin is facing fire Monday for referring to Barack Obama as an "Oreo" during a segment on his Sunday political program, "The McLaughlin Group.

The veteran Washington journalist was discussing the recent comments from the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who was caught last week by an open microphone on Fox News saying the Illinois senator is "talking down to black people" as he campaigns for the White House. Those remarks were largely seen in reference to Obama's recent admonishment at a Chicago church of some black men who he said were not living up to their responsibilities as parents.

Referencing Jackson's comments, McLaughlin said Obama "fits the stereotype blacks once labeled as an Oreo — a black on the outside, a white on the inside."

"Does it frost Jackson, Jesse Jackson, that…an Oreo should be the beneficiary of the long civil rights struggle which Jesse Jackson spent his lifetime fighting for?" McLaughlin asked his panelists.

The term "Oreo" is often viewed as a derogatory term toward some African-Americans who appear not to exhibit certain stereotypes of their race.

Watch: McLaughlin's comments cause uproar

Panelist Peter Beinart, a senior fellow on the Council of Foreign Relations, immediately called that depiction of Obama "completely unfair."

Michelle Bernard, another panelist on the program and the president of the Independent Women's Forum also said she disagreed with the comments, saying "If Barack Obama is an Oreo, then every member of this generation of African-Americans is an Oreo, because we stand on the shoulders of the people who fought for our rights, and all of us say that you cannot blame 'the man' or white racism for everything that ails the black community."

Roland Martin, a CNN contributor and host of a syndicated radio show, says some people may be overreacting to McLaughlin's remark.

"Obama's candidacy is bringing to light to the internal conversation that is taking place in black America and white America. I think a lot of people are uncomfortable with the dialogue," he said. "If John McLaughlin was an African American and who had made the comment, people would have said, well, he probably understands what he's talking about."

"The reality is we also have a white, his mother is white and his dad is from Kenya," Martin also said. "I think that is the qualifier there and this is a debate that you have heard take place inside of the black community that you also have people who question someone like Obama, where does he stand? Is he black enough?"[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    off the topic a bit....

BO had a fundraiser this weekend where Bernie Mac referred to women as "hoes"....last time that happened BO demanded Imus get fired....will he whine about the same treatment for Bernie Mac or give the money back that was raised???
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 07-14-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2626909]off the topic a bit....

BO had a fundraiser this weekend where Bernie Mac referred to women as "hoes"....last time that happened BO demanded Imus get fired....will he whine about the same treatment for Bernie Mac or give the money back? raised???[/QUOTE]

you mean aside from the fact that Bernie got booed by the crowd for doing it and then BO stated afterwards that Bernie was out of line and needed to clean up his act and that what he said was unacceptable?

[QUOTE][B]Obama camp rebukes Bernie Mac over joke[/B]
    Posted: 10:20 AM ET

(CNN) — Bernie Mac made a surprise appearance at a Barack Obama fundraising event Friday evening — but given heckling from the crowd and a rebuke from the Illinois senator's campaign for an off-color joke, the comedian may wish he'd just stayed home.

Introducing Obama at the high-dollar fundraising event in Chicago, Mac delivered a 10-minute standup routine during which he joked about sexual promiscuity and referred to women as "hos."

"My little nephew came to me and he said, 'Uncle, what's the difference between a hypothetical question and a realistic question?"' Mac said toward the end of his routine. "I said, I don't know, but I said, 'Go upstairs and ask your mother if she'd make love to the mailman for $50,000."'

"Hypothetically speaking, we should have $100,000. But realistically speaking we live with two hos," Mac said, delivering the joke's punchline.

Some attendees of the $2,300 per-person event immediately registered their displeasure with Mac's joke, and asked that he leave the stage.

"It's not funny. Let's get Barack on," one man shouted.

Mac introduced the Democratic presidential candidate shortly after and Obama called the comedian a "great friend." The Illinois senator also joked that Mac needs to "clean up [his] act."

"We can't afford to be divided by race. We can't afford to be divided by region or by class and we can't afford to be divided by gender, which by the way, that means, Bernie, you've got to clean up your act next time," he said. "This is a family affair. By the way, I'm just messing with you, man."

But the campaign issued a statement shortly after the event that was decidedly more serious in its condemnation of Mac's comments.

"Senator Obama told Bernie Mac that he doesn't condone these statements and believes what was said was inappropriate," campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Mean Bro Green; 07-14-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mean Bro Green;2626924]you mean aside from the fact that Bernie got booed by the crowd for doing it and then[B] BO stated afterwards that Bernie was out of line and needed to clean up his act and that what he said was unacceptabl[/B]e?[/QUOTE]

that's what BO did??? guess you didn't read the entire story...

[QUOTE][B]Bernie Mac makes off-color joke at Obama event
    The Associated PressPublished: July 12, 2008[/B]

CHICAGO: Comedian Bernie Mac endured some heckling and a campaign rebuke during a surprise appearance Friday night at a fundraiser for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Toward the end of a 10-minute standup routine at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Chicago, the 50-year-old star of "The Bernie Mac Show" joked about menopause, sexual infidelity and promiscuity, and used occasional crude language.

"My little nephew came to me and he said, 'Uncle, what's the difference between a hypothetical question and a realistic question?'" Mac said. "I said, I don't know, but I said, 'Go upstairs and ask your mother if she'd make love to the mailman for $50,000.'"

As the joke continued, the punchline evoked an angry response from at least one person in the audience, who said it was offensive to women.

"It's not funny. Let's get Barack on," a man shouted from the crowd, which paid $2,300 each to support the Illinois senator.

About 15 minutes later, Obama tried to smooth things over with a joke of his own.

[B]"We can't afford to be divided by race. We can't afford to be divided by region or by class and we can't afford to be divided by gender, which by the way, that means, Bernie, you've got to clean up your act next time," Obama said. "This is a family affair. By the way, I'm just messing with you, man."[/B]

The incident drew response from Obama's campaign, which criticized Mac for his choice of material.

"Sen. Obama told Bernie Mac that he doesn't condone these statements and believes what was said was inappropriate," spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement after the event.

Mac, a Chicago native, said he's a longtime Obama supporter and called the presumptive Democratic nominee a "man's man" while offering him advice for the duration of the campaign trail.

"People like rumors. They're going to say things like you was at the club with Lil' Kim, and you and Kanye West got into a fist fight," he said. "You can't get upset. You've got to keep hope alive."

Mac's appearance was Obama's first celebrity event of the evening. Later at a Lincoln Park nightclub, Obama spoke to a raucous crowd of music fans, who paid up to $500 per person to see a performance by Wilco lead singer Jeff Tweedy, and two other band members.

"Before these guys go, I want them to know that I had heard a rumor that they had suggested that I had nothing by them on my iPod," Obama said. "That is not true. I love Wilco."
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/07/12/america/Obama-Bernie-Mac.php[/url]

really sounds that hussien thought the words were "unacceptable....:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap.

John McLaughlin is still alive. Who knew?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2626931]that's what BO did??? guess you didn't read the entire story...

[url]http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/07/12/america/Obama-Bernie-Mac.php[/url]

really sounds that hussien thought the words were "unacceptable....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I would have preferred that he left off the just messing with you part, but as many people would tell you he was probably dead serious about what he said and then tried to lighten the mood but made his point clear

no need to wipe his azz with the man just to make the point that he was serious, sounds like he made his point

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mean Bro Green;2626943]I would have preferred that he left off the just messing with you part, but as many people would tell you he was probably dead serious about what he said and then tried to lighten the mood but made his point clear

no need to wipe his azz with the man just to make the point that he was serious, sounds like he made his point[/QUOTE]

don't mean to deflect from your McLaughlin htread but the question still stands; BO demanded imus got fired for a simliar thing.....when will he demand BernieMac get fired (if he even has a show)?????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2626952]don't mean to deflect from your McLaughlin htread but the question still stands; BO demanded imus got fired for a simliar thing.....when will he demand BernieMac get fired (if he even has a show)?????[/QUOTE]

what can he demand Bernie Mac get fired from....does he have a job????

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2626952]don't mean to deflect from your McLaughlin htread but the question still stands; BO demanded imus got fired for a simliar thing.....when will he demand BernieMac get fired (if he even has a show)?????[/QUOTE]

i guess this means you have no interest in discussing the oreo comment???

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mean Bro Green;2626958]i guess this means you have no interest in discussing the oreo comment???[/QUOTE]

McLaughlin already apologized....personally I could care less if his show is ever aired again...

your turn....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2626962]McLaughlin already apologized....personally I could care less if his show is ever aired again...

your turn....[/QUOTE]

BO already admonished Mac, but you want more right

why is John's apology enuff?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mean Bro Green;2626969]BO already admonished Mac, but you want more right[/QUOTE]

well no- he didn't admonished him....he played games, as you even admitted....I want BO to be consistent- he did more than admonish imus now, didn't he???

[QUOTE]why is John's apology enuff?[/QUOTE]

I don't know nor care if it is enough....just like I wouldn't know nor care if his show was still on the air....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 07-14-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2626937]Holy crap.

John McLaughlin is still alive. Who knew?[/QUOTE]

Does anyone watch the McLaughlin Group?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Bernie Mac make the statement on his show like Imus did?

There is a big difference here. Imus said what he said on his show, in the course of doing business and trying to be controversial for ratings. Bernie Mac made his comment during a fund raiser and was immediately chastised by people in the audience, not to mention that Imus' statement was mean-spirited and directed at a specific small group of college girls and Mac's was not.

We are all guilty of saying inappropriate things at times in our lives. The only difference being that most of us do not say these things in a public forum.

I don't have a big problem with what McLaughlin said as his "oreo" comment was more a jab at Jackson and others in the black community who are acting hypcritical regarding Obama because he is half white than it was at Obama.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2626974]Did Bernie Mac make the statement on his show like Imus did?

There is a big difference here. Imus said what he said on his show, in the course of doing business and trying to be controversial for ratings. Bernie Mac made his comment during a fund raiser and was immediately chastised by people in the audience, not to mention that Imus' statement was mean-spirited and directed at a specific small group of college girls and Mac's was not.

We are all guilty of saying inappropriate things at times in our lives. The only difference being that most of us do not say these things in a public forum.

I don't have a big problem with what McLaughlin said as his "oreo" comment was more a jab at Jackson and others in the black community who are acting hypcritical regarding Obama because he is half white than it was at Obama.[/QUOTE]

did Imus actually say it or one of his guys???? (I don't know to be honest)....

to try and claim there is a difference between the two statements made is really laughable....from what I remember imus was also immediately chastised and like bernie mac, also made his comments in a public forum...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2626988]did Imus actually say it or one of his guys???? (I don't know to be honest)....

to try and claim there is a difference between the two statements made is really laughable....from what I remember imus was also immediately chastised and like bernie mac, also made his comments in a public forum...[/QUOTE]

Big difference. Bernie Mac is a comedian. Also, the blame goes to whoever hired him for this gig. Anyone who has seen 10 minutes of Bernie's act of Friday, would know that "ho's" would be said without a doubt.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    and the justification continues.....

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;2626998]Big difference. Bernie Mac is a comedian. Also, the blame goes to whoever hired him for this gig. Anyone who has seen 10 minutes of Bernie's act of Friday, would know that "ho's" would be said without a doubt.[/QUOTE]

why- imus would not be considered a comedian before anything else???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2626988]did Imus actually say it or one of his guys???? (I don't know to be honest)....

to try and claim there is a difference between the two statements made is really laughable....from what I remember imus was also immediately chastised and like bernie mac, also made his comments in a public forum...[/QUOTE]

Imus is the one who made the comments and CONTEXT absolutely matters.

Imus called a bunch of college athletes "nappy-headed hoes" in a vain attempt to call attention to himself.

Bernie Mac told a joke as part of a comedy routine.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2627002]and the justification continues.....

why- imus would not be considered a comedian before anything else???[/QUOTE]

Has Imus ever said anything that could remotely be construed as funny?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2627005]Imus is the one who made the comments and CONTEXT absolutely matters.

Imus called a bunch of college athletes "nappy-headed hoes" in a vain attempt to call attention to himself.

Bernie Mac told a joke as part of a comedy routine.[/QUOTE]

he said it to be funny...whether or not it was is another matter...he's also said a lot of deragatory things against white people over the years in a lame attempt to be funny yet no one called for his dismissal.....but again- is BO going to call for TV networks, movie studios, etc to fire berniemac???