Thread: Favorite Yankee Stadium Moments

Jets Insider VIP

Favorite Yankee Stadium Moments

Sean said it in another thread and its true- this All Star stuff is really driving the point home that this is it for Yankee Stadium.

So many, many, many memories. It's going to be bittersweet when it closes. So much to reflect on, yet so sad to see it go. ESPN just did a nice little montage of the greatest home runs in Stadium history, and I actually felt a little emotional. It really is a shame about the timing of the Yanks pseudo-rebuild this year. The only really appropriate way to close it out would be with a championship, but it's not looking good. Then again, with the magic of this place, I guess you never know.

Anyway, what's your favorite memory either in Yankee Stadium or watching from afar?

Mine in no certain order:
    - I grew up idolizing Donnie Baseball. He had a rough go of it the end of his career, but seemed somewhat rejuvenated in 95 when the Yankees made their first playoff run in his career. The only thing better than being there when he was introduced that first game against Seattle in the ALDS was witnessing him hit an RBI single that game. I swear to you to this day, I have never heard a louder sound in my life, not even in subsequent World Series games years later. The whole building shook. It was amazing.

- Was there for Leyritz's walk-off that season too.

- Hayes' catch in 96 to win it, FINALLY. That one still stands out as the best, because it was the first one I could remember in my lifetime.

- My birthday celebration at a bar with some friends a few years back. Boone's homer. I don't know if I've ever jumped that high in my life. F Boston.

- My first game when I was a kid, 1985. I knew there was something special about that place from Day 1.

- 9/11/02 game. The tribute. No words.

Former heroin addict, Josh Hamilton rocking 28 HR's off of his 71 year-old childhood pitching coach in the HR Derby is really climbing the charts.

This sounds so corny, but my father first taking my brother and I to the stadium in 1983. My dad is straight off the boat from Greece, never knew a thing about baseball but he took us to games all the time and never complained about what was going on. He enjoyed just taking us. Of course he eventually picked up the rules of the game and players. But everything after that was gravy.

That's what I'll remember.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by METER View Post
    This sounds so corny, but my father first taking my brother and I to the stadium in 1983. My dad is straight off the boat from Greece, never knew a thing about baseball but he took us to games all the time and never complained about what was going on. He enjoyed just taking us. Of course he eventually picked up the rules of the game and players. But everything after that was gravy.

That's what I'll remember.
    Not corny at all. Nothing better than a dad, his son(s) and baseball.

Veteran
    JOSH HAMILTON GOING WILD DURING THE 2008 HOMERUN DURBY....ahhhh good times

Billy Crystal watching the Sox win the ALCS. Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Billy Crystal watching the Sox win the ALCS. Priceless.
    Aaron Boone all over a Tim Wakefield meatball. Great end to one of the best games I've ever seen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

On Seaver's 300th W I sat right behind his wife & daughter. Then a cow came out and took a dump on Scooter.

Practice Squad
    me beating a deadsox's fan in 05
    Last edited by YanksNjETS; 07-15-2008 at 12:44 AM.

All Pro
    I remember going to a Yankees/Red Sox double header as a kid with my Dad, Mom and little brother. I was maybe 10 or so back in the early 80s. The Yanks won both and I remember walking up the exit (we had good seats towards the bottom section) and seeing some crazy guy rip a hat off a Red Sox fan and burn it while holding it up in the air. That was the COOLEST!!!

I went to MANY games there and that stuck out the most. I also had tickets to the game on 9/11 that was obviously later postposed.

Veteran
    2004 ALCS game 7

I think Sean started a thread like this a while back but I can't find it. Anyway...

-My first Yankee game with my Father. July 18, 1999. Yogi Berra Day and David Cone's perfect game. The whole day was unbelievable. From Yogi riding around the stadium before the game, to Larsen throwing out the first pitch, and witnessing the excitement build as Cone got closer and closer to perfection. We got the two ticket stubs and the commemorative pins framed. I will never forget it.

-My first time walking through Monument Park. I had been to the Stadium many, many times already, but never actually got to see it until 2005.

-Like Guido mentioned, the Charlie Hayes catch to end the '96 World Series. I was pretty young at the time, but that was my first great Yankee memory.

-All of the dramatic home runs of the 2001 World Series against the D'Backs. After 9/11, the dramatic home runs by Tino, Brosius, and Jeter were just unbelievable. I still get goose bumps every time I watch them.

-The Aaron Boone home run in the '03 ALCS. I was watching the game alone at home and didn't even care that people were sleeping in the house. I went absolutely nuts.

-Each and every time I get to hear Enter Sandman when I'm at the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I think Sean started a thread like this a while back but I can't find it. Anyway...

-My first Yankee game with my Father. July 18, 1999. Yogi Berra Day and David Cone's perfect game. The whole day was unbelievable. From Yogi riding around the stadium before the game, to Larsen throwing out the first pitch, and witnessing the excitement build as Cone got closer and closer to perfection. We got the two ticket stubs and the commemorative pins framed. I will never forget it.

-My first time walking through Monument Park. I had been to the Stadium many, many times already, but never actually got to see it until 2005.

-Like Guido mentioned, the Charlie Hayes catch to end the '96 World Series. I was pretty young at the time, but that was my first great Yankee memory.

-All of the dramatic home runs of the 2001 World Series against the D'Backs. After 9/11, the dramatic home runs by Tino, Brosius, and Jeter were just unbelievable. I still get goose bumps every time I watch them.

-The Aaron Boone home run in the '03 ALCS. I was watching the game alone at home and didn't even care that people were sleeping in the house. I went absolutely nuts.

-Each and every time I get to hear Enter Sandman when I'm at the stadium.
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...tadium+tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Thanks bud.

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe we can get a merge?