Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama Looked the Other Way With Slumlord Rezko

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Obama Looked the Other Way With Slumlord Rezko

Taking donations from him instead of having Rezko pay to fix his violations. What a State Senator.:rolleyes:

[url]http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2008/07/let-me-put-it-in-pictures-for-our.html[/url]

For more than five weeks during the brutally cold winter of 1997, tenants suffered without any heat in a government-subsidized apartment building. The 31-unit building in Chicago's Englewood neighborhood had been "rehabbed" just four years prior at taxpayer expense, no less.

How cold was it? Temperatures routinely dipped around ten below zero. With wind-chills factored in, the effective temperatures approached 30 below.

And the residents of the building had no heat for more than a month.

The building's owner -- Rezmar Corporation -- didn't bother to turn on the heat for weeks. In fact, it didn't do so until it was sued.

And the Englewood building wasn't the only one of Rezmar's properties that had scores of code violations. At least a dozen times, Rezmar had to be sued in order to simply turn on the heat in its properties.

17 buildings ended up in foreclosure, 6 are boarded up, hundreds of apartments are vacant and require repair... and taxpayers were stuck with millions in unpaid loans.

All of these buildings were in -- or just blocks away -- from a single state senator's district. A district belonging to a young, up-and-coming politician named Barack Obama.

In fact, during the brutal winter of 1997, even while Rezmar refused to heat its Englewood apartments, it was donating $1,000 to state senator Obama's campaign fund.

During the winter or the scores of subsequent code violations, did state senator Obama ever lift a finger to protect his constituents from "predatory slumlords" like Rezmar?

The answer appears to be a resounding "No". In 2007, Obama's own campaign staff stated, "Senator Obama does not remember having conversations... about properties that [Rezmar] owned.."

The shivering tenants in in and around the district were left defenseless. Assailed on one side by predatory slumlords like Rezko, they were -- for all intents and purposes -- left out in the cold by their state senator, Barack Obama.

There's a simple reason Obama didn't lift a finger to protest these horrific violations. His political patron, Tony Rezko, was a driving force behind the Rezmar schemes. And Rezko helped raise a quarter of a million dollars for Obama's various campaigns.

And after stating he'd "never done any favors for" Rezko, the Chicago Sun-Times discovered letters Obama wrote to city and state officials supporting Rezko's bid for $14 million in taxpayers' money for an elder-care facility.

While Obama didn't expend an ounce of energy to protest Rezko's outrageous violations, he did take time to write letters on behalf of Rezko in his efforts to secure an additional $14 million in taxpayer funds.

[IMG]http://bp0.blogger.com/_orkXxp0bhEA/SHLAkqyi0gI/AAAAAAAAHRg/BWaJF6XsKnc/s400/080707-letter-for-rezko.jpg[/IMG]

State senator Obama couldn't effectively represent his abused constituents... perhaps because he was otherwise occupied helping his slumlord patrons with their various flim-flam operations.

And as a so-called "community organizer" and then a state senator, Obama couldn't even keep federally subsidized housing complexes like Grove Parc habitable.

Barack Obama couldn't effectively represent a tiny district in Chicago's south side.

Now extend that kind of failure to the entire United States.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess Bush has a lot to answer for as well in your eyes...

[QUOTE]Rezko attached himself to lots of politicians. Rezko donated money to every major Democratic politician in Illinois, then helped organize a $3.5 million fundraiser for President George W. Bush in 2003.[/QUOTE]

hmm..and did Rezko ask Obama to write the letter.....um..no....

[QUOTE]The common definition of a favor in this context is a political action done in exchange for donations. Rezko’s lawyer reported that Rezko had not asked Obama to write the letter. Instead, Obama (along with a local state representative and an alderman) endorsed the project because it had widespread community support. It’s difficult to imagine any politician on the south side of Chicago who wouldn’t have a routine letter written to endorse government funding for affordable housing and social services for low-income senior citizens in that area.[/QUOTE]

hmmm...I guess in your mind, anything Rezko wanted Obama gave him.....

like this maybe?

[QUOTE]The Chicago Tribune reported, "when Rezko pushed for passage in Springfield of a major gambling measure, Obama vocally opposed it."[/QUOTE]

this Rezko thing really doesn't have legs....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being accused to be a Muslim isn't good enough?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2627527]Being accused to be a Muslim isn't good enough?[/QUOTE]
    Who "accused" anyone of being a Muslim here? Don't get this comment. What does this have to do with the original post?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2627515]I guess Bush has a lot to answer for as well in your eyes...

hmm..and did Rezko ask Obama to write the letter.....um..no....

hmmm...I guess in your mind, anything Rezko wanted Obama gave him.....

like this maybe?

this Rezko thing really doesn't have legs....[/QUOTE]
    Why would a state senator work to help out a slumlord in his own district who is not providing heat to his constituents? At the very least he could have used the potential contract as leverage to force the appropriate repairs. Poor judgement on Obama's part. Politics as usual, money talks, constituents be damned. Funny coming from someone running under the "CHANGE" moniker.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has to do with the typical smear BS. Your thread is based on a BS blog.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2627566]Who "accused" anyone of being a Muslim here? Don't get this comment. What does this have to do with the original post?[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2627635]It has to do with the typical smear BS. Your thread is based on a BS blog.[/QUOTE]
    Did he not write letters of support for a slumlord? How is that BS? To put this report in the same category as those questioning the source of his middle name "that must go unsaid" is disingenuous.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2627515]I guess Bush has a lot to answer for as well in your eyes...[/quote]

Yes.

However, last I checked, Mr. Bush isn't running again. We call this kind of deflection a "dodge".

[QUOTE=piney;2627515]hmm..and did Rezko ask Obama to write the letter.....um..no....[/quote]

Only if you believe Rezko and his Lawyers. Why should we believe them at this stage, with their man about to be elected President? It's in Resko's best interests not to upset the Obamatrain. His future pardon relies on it.

We sure could use some independant investigations into this possible corruption, but somehow I doubt the Obama supporters will warm to that idea as they do persuing BushCo.

[QUOTE=piney;2627515]this Rezko thing really doesn't have legs....[/QUOTE]

Of course it doesn't, because folks like you willfully ignore things that don't fit your agenda, or could hurt your candidate.

You can somehow cite chapter and verse all the evils of Illegal Irish immigration, for example, but plead ignorance on MS13 and La Raza.

Conevenient ignorance is still ignorance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    From everything else I have read Obama was not the only one to support New Kenwood LLC.
    [QUOTE]As a state senator in 1998, Obama wrote two letters to city and state officials to support a Rezko/Davis senior housing project in his district that received more than $14 million in taxpayer money and netted $885,000 in fees for the two developers.

He was one of several political and community leaders who pushed for funding for the project. Among those sending similar letters of support were Ald. Toni Preckwinkle (4th), then-state Rep. Lou Jones (D-Chicago) and Robert Grossman, head of the Hyde Park-Kenwood Conservation Community Council.

Obama press secretary Bill Burton said Rezko never asked Obama to send a letter having anything to do with that project. And Rezko's attorney, Joseph Duffy, said Rezko "never spoke with, nor sought a letter from, Sen. Obama in connection with that project."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2628330]Did he not write letters of support for a slumlord? How is that BS? To put this report in the same category as those questioning the source of his middle name "that must go unsaid" is disingenuous.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2628538]From everything else I have read Obama was not the only one to support New Kenwood LLC.[/QUOTE]

Then those guys were wrong, too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where does it say that Obama even knew about the situations with the guy's properties?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2628387]However, last I checked, Mr. Bush isn't running again. We call this kind of deflection a "dodge".[/QUOTE]

it is not a dodge...the people who have brought this up the most are the most ardent Bush supporters in this forum...so when one of them points Obama's relationship with Rezko, they should most certainly explain why they don't have a problem with Bush and Rezko's relationship.

[QUOTE]Only if you believe Rezko and his Lawyers. Why should we believe them at this stage, with their man about to be elected President? It's in Resko's best interests not to upset the Obamatrain. His future pardon relies on it.[/QUOTE]

I will give you this, you have to take the word of the Lawyers...but it does seem like a project that Obama would back, regardless of who was the benefactor of the project.

I mean, c'mon, housing for poor elderly people....really, you claim Obama had to be "bribed" to write the letter?

[QUOTE]We sure could use some independant investigations into this possible corruption, but somehow I doubt the Obama supporters will warm to that idea as they do persuing BushCo.[/QUOTE]

I am all for an independant investigation, because from what I have read, there is really nothing nefarious to turn up. Just some blogs that have grown on the internet....mostly filled with incorrect information.

But of course, you have no problem believeing some faceless right wing blogger.....

[QUOTE]Of course it doesn't, because folks like you willfully ignore things that don't fit your agenda, or could hurt your candidate.[/QUOTE]

it just doesn't ring as a "corruption" scandal...I mean, this guy hardly contributed a large amount of money or really did anything tangible for Obama...

[QUOTE]You can somehow cite chapter and verse all the evils of Illegal Irish immigration, for example, but plead ignorance on MS13 and La Raza.
    [/QUOTE]

wow...I must have really hit a nerve...

I thought you were Scottish....

[QUOTE]Conevenient ignorance is still ignorance.[/QUOTE]

jeez....I am the one who said I was ignorant of the issue and couldn't discuss it intelligently until I read up on it......how is it convenient? I am handcuffed in any discussion regarding La Raza...

Do you think I haven't read about it because I don't want to?

if so, then you are starting to sound like Press......

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it was a new company and from the letter stated it was not only a housing complex but a senior center and some type of health care facility. If you are a politician isn't this what you would want for your constituents?

By posting this thread you are saying he should not of supported this and because he did he should of ran the facility as well?

I hate to see Obama lose your vote over this HD.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2628558]Then those guys were wrong, too.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sharrow;2628559]Where does it say that Obama even knew about the situations with the guy's properties?[/QUOTE]
    If he didn't then he is incompetent. They were in his senatorial district which he represented in the Illinois State House.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2628598]If it was a new company and from the letter stated it was not only a housing complex but a senior center and some type of health care facility. If you are a politician isn't this what you would want for your constituents?

By posting this thread you are saying he should not of supported this and because he did he should of ran the facility as well?

I hate to see Obama lose your vote over this HD.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

If Rezko wanted funding Obama should have made him address the deficiencies in his other properties first. And as far as my vote, I think that ship has sailed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2628582]it is not a dodge...the people who have brought this up the most are the most ardent Bush supporters in this forum...so when one of them points Obama's relationship with Rezko, they should most certainly explain why they don't have a problem with Bush and Rezko's relationship.

I will give you this, you have to take the word of the Lawyers...but it does seem like a project that Obama would back, regardless of who was the benefactor of the project.

I mean, c'mon, housing for poor elderly people....really, you claim Obama had to be "bribed" to write the letter?

I am all for an independant investigation, because from what I have read, there is really nothing nefarious to turn up. Just some blogs that have grown on the internet....mostly filled with incorrect information.

But of course, you have no problem believeing some faceless right wing blogger.....

it just doesn't ring as a "corruption" scandal...I mean, this guy hardly contributed a large amount of money or really did anything tangible for Obama...

wow...I must have really hit a nerve...

I thought you were Scottish....

jeez....I am the one who said I was ignorant of the issue and couldn't discuss it intelligently until I read up on it......how is it convenient? I am handcuffed in any discussion regarding La Raza...

Do you think I haven't read about it because I don't want to?

if so, then you are starting to sound like Press......[/QUOTE]

You know Piney......we REALLY need to start writing shorter posts at each other. Really.:D

Scottish yes, but of Scots/Irish 50/50 Blood.

And yes, I think there was some backroom dealing, palm greasing and other standard-issue-politics. Please note that I say "standard-issue" because frankly, I would think ANY politician so named in suhc an issue would be guilty of that. It's S.O.P. for these people.

And I'm sorry, but when the topic is illegal immigration today, and you write a novel on the Evil Irish Illegals Army, but literally know nothing of La Raza or MS13, yes, it does come across as politically motivated "ignorance" intended to push an agenda, not honest commentary of today's issue. Sorry, but thats how it reads to me.

And I sound like Press? Really? **** me, maybe I DO need a break.:(

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2628774]You know Piney......we REALLY need to start writing shorter posts at each other. Really.:D

Scottish yes, but of Scots/Irish 50/50 Blood.

And yes, I think there was some backroom dealing, palm greasing and other standard-issue-politics. Please note that I say "standard-issue" because frankly, I would think ANY politician so named in suhc an issue would be guilty of that. It's S.O.P. for these people.

And I'm sorry, but when the topic is illegal immigration today, and you write a novel on the Evil Irish Illegals Army, but literally know nothing of La Raza or MS13, yes, it does come across as politically motivated "ignorance" intended to push an agenda, not honest commentary of today's issue. Sorry, but thats how it reads to me.

And I sound like Press? Really? **** me, maybe I DO need a break.:([/QUOTE]

well, could there have been standard issue back-scratching...well...I won't rule it out, but this doesn't seem to be the case with this specific. Just my opinion from reading up on it.

I don't think I wrote a novel....I was just trying to illustrate how we have romanticized our own legacy as immigrants...the common belief is how honorable and hard working all of the european immigrants were.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2628828]I don't think I wrote a novel....I was just trying to illustrate how we have romanticized our own legacy as immigrants...the common belief is how honorable and hard working all of the european immigrants were.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough I suppose, even if I think you are vastly overstating the "Illegal" Irish in order to rationalize and/or find equivalency with the current invasion of 12-20 Million illegals. And it's beside the point anyway.....I could care less what ethnicity the illegal is, I want him out.

I speak only for myself (an immigrant) and my family (all immigrants). We were damn hard working, and damn honorable, and most important of all.....100% legal. I am sure you could understand how that may color my viewpoint on this issue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The letter was in reference to get a second loan. This is about a bunch of nothing.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2628761]If Rezko wanted funding Obama should have made him address the deficiencies in his other properties first. And as far as my vote, I think that ship has sailed.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2628951]Fair enough I suppose, even if I think you are vastly overstating the "Illegal" Irish in order to rationalize and/or find equivalency with the current invasion of 12-20 Million illegals. And it's beside the point anyway.....I could care less what ethnicity the illegal is, I want him out.

I speak only for myself (an immigrant) and my family (all immigrants). We were damn hard working, and damn honorable, and most important of all.....100% legal. I am sure you could understand how that may color my viewpoint on this issue.[/QUOTE]

I am in no way trying to rationalize the current mess we have with illegal immigration, and I in no way think that the numbers are in any way equivalent...

I am sorry if it came across that way...

really, my only issue is with the dehumanization of the illegal mexicans....

I just am amazed at how many people, from european descent, seem to think that everyone who came here, that wasn't Mexican, were honorable hard workers while the mexicans are lazy and take advantage of the system, and only come here to commit crimes.

There were good and bad in both, there were illegal immigrants back then too, there were crooks who came in with the hard workers.

That is really my only point. My point has nothing to do with the justification of illegal immigration.

I understand how you can let your own personal family history color your view, I try hard not to let mine.

The funny thing is, to me, I get shocked at some of your reactions because you always have come across as a guy who lives in the "real" world...

like back when people were discussing torture, and (unless I am mistaken) you thought that the idea of people wanting the US to hold itself to a higher standard is impractical in the real world...because it will have no tangible effect on the war on terror.

I feel that way about illegal immigration;

It would be great if everyone followed our immigration laws, but they don't....so we need to take measures to better enforce our laws....

I mean, I am positive if we could kick out every illegal and did not change how we go about securing our borders, then in 20 years or less, we will be right back where we started.

yeah, can you blame the guys sneaking over the border, sure...but it won't do anything to solve the problem.

This isn't a case of blaming america, just a case of finding a solution.

Somehow, I feel you are at odds with that, that you feel we as a country should receive no blame for the mess we are in.

And anyone who thinks we, as a country, should take the responsibility for this mess, are somehow advocating illegal immigration.

They are not mutually exclusive thoughts.