Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wagner

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Wagner

Who else here was convinced that he was going to blow the game as soon as he came jogging in?

The Mets WILL NOT win a thing with this guy as our closer. If we somehow manage to get into the playoffs, I am confident that he will ruin it for us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJet View Post
    Who else here was convinced that he was going to blow the game as soon as he came jogging in?

The Mets WILL NOT win a thing with this guy as our closer. If we somehow manage to get into the playoffs, I am confident that he will ruin it for us.
    Yet he was the only Met on the allstar team not counting Wright.

You know theres a Baseball section with a ASG thread right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    main board or bust....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wagner is no Mariano .... but who is?

He is still one of the best 6-8 closers in baseball. Pipedown.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    he gave up 1 run in the all star game...I guess the kid who gave up the 2-run HR is a bust too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    he gave up 1 run in the all star game...I guess the kid who gave up the 2-run HR is a bust too.
    he's not talking about giving up runs, or blowing saves. even mariano blows a save now and then. but wagner seems to ALWAYS blow the big ones. hence the lack of confidence in wagner if the mets make the playoffs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Wagner is no Mariano .... but who is?

He is still one of the best 6-8 closers in baseball. Pipedown.
    Even Armando Benitez could secure the save in July...

Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    he's not talking about giving up runs, or blowing saves. even mariano blows a save now and then. but wagner seems to ALWAYS blow the big ones. hence the lack of confidence in wagner if the mets make the playoffs.
    Exactly...as soon as I saw him jog in I knew that he was going to blow it for the NL

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    Not saying I can watch the 9th with a lead and not sweat it out, but are there really that many better? Mariano is the only real one and it not that he throws harder then anyone else, it's his pinpoint control, with the speed and late movement.

Wagner is a hard thrower with minimal control and one other pitch...but who else we gonna use?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    Not saying I can watch the 9th with a lead and not sweat it out, but are there really that many better? Mariano is the only real one and it not that he throws harder then anyone else, it's his pinpoint control, with the speed and late movement.

Wagner is a hard thrower with minimal control and one other pitch...but who else we gonna use?
    Are there any better in the rest of baseball? I could probably name 7-8. Or were you asking any better options on the Mets?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all know the Mets will go after hispanic K-Rod in the offseason

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Are there any better in the rest of baseball? I could probably name 7-8. Or were you asking any better options on the Mets?
    7 or 8 outta 30 aint bad and im sure some of the 7 or 8 are debatable

nobody likes a dominant closer more than me, i value them more than good SPs but with the exception of Mariano there hasnt been one closer that has been dominant year in and year out, there have been guys with good stretchs ( gange, lidge, etc), wagner scares the **** outta me but in reality you cant ask for that much better.

P.S. if Krod keeps it up for over a couple years he may take mariano spots as best in the game

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post

nobody likes a dominant closer more than me, i value them more than good SPs but with the exception of Mariano there hasnt been one closer that has been dominant year in and year out, there have been guys with good stretchs ( gange, lidge, etc), wagner scares the **** outta me but in reality you cant ask for that much better.

P.S. if Krod keeps it up for over a couple years he may take mariano spots as best in the game
    K-Rod has 3 blown saves and a 2.36 ERA

It's good, but not Mariano good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    wow

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post

Sounds about right, but the way he worded it made it sound like he was a top 3 closer. He started off the season dominant and has been very inconsistent lately, hopefully he gets it back on track for you guys to make your playoff run.

Like you said, K-Rod needs to extend his greatness for a few years down the road for him to be mentioned in the same breath as Mo. He started off so great so young, so he has as good a chance as anyone. He actually started off the season shaky and sat out a week or two with some leg/shin problems on both sides I believe.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by METER View Post
    wow
    Surprised?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surprised?

It's like the pink elephant in the room

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds about right, but the way he worded it made it sound like he was a top 3 closer. He started off the season dominant and has been very inconsistent lately, hopefully he gets it back on track for you guys to make your playoff run.

Like you said, K-Rod needs to extend his greatness for a few years down the road for him to be mentioned in the same breath as Mo. He started off so great so young, so he has as good a chance as anyone. He actually started off the season shaky and sat out a week or two with some leg/shin problems on both sides I believe.
    agreed on all counts, Wagner has a lil of benetiz in him and the reason Benetiz was so heart wrenching to Met fans was because yea he blew saves, but not only did he blow the big ones, its the fact that he was unhittable in all the regular ones that makes it that much harder to watch, and part of that is Billys problem, he is son dominant at times but then a big moment comes and hes throwin batting practice

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mean't available anywhere... K-Rod would be a def upgrade, and possibly available in the future, but who else? Do we have anyone to groom? Burgos when his arm is healed??

I'm sure you could name others, but after Rivera..........then maybe Paplebond, Nathan, K-Rod, Persival??, Hoffman?? <I think he's similar to Wagner, not great in the big spot>, Lidge??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surprised?
    You are on the edge of a major blowup aren't you?