Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Papelbon felt threatened in New York (Story)

Hall Of Fame

Papelbon felt threatened in New York (Story)

Papelbon's pregnant wife reportedly felt threatened
    ESPN.com news services

Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon blamed the New York media for creating a firestorm that resulted in his pregnant wife being threatened on Tuesday.

MLB.com reported that during a red carpet parade for the All-Star Game that went down Sixth Avenue in Manhattan, Papelbon and his wife Ashley were bombarded by insults from fans.

"I feel like I needed to be in a bullet-proof car," Papelbon said, according to the Web site. "My wife is pregnant and she's getting her life threatened. It's stupid."

Papelbon had said that he would welcome closing out the All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium even though its the home field of Mariano Rivera.

"I've said from the very beginning, since two days ago, and talked to Tito [Red Sox manager Terry Francona] about it, I said, 'I want Mariano to close.' I understand what it's about to pay your dues in this game and what it's about to put in your time," Papelbon said, according to the Web site. "If you were to ask me, of course I wanted to close. That's my competitive nature."

Papelbon said he was shocked when he saw a New York Daily News headline that read "PAPELBUM! Red Sox reliever says he, not Mariano, should close tonight's All-Star Game."

"That was an easy headline for that [newspaper] to say, 'Yeah, Papelbon said he wants to close.' Yeah, of course I do," Papelbon said, according to the site. "That's my competitive nature. But I'm stepping away and saying I don't need to close."

Papelbon told MLB.com that he was so disturbed by the parade incident that he didn't even care if he pitched on Tuesday.

"Your family gets involved like that and you're trying to enjoy an experience with your family, and you have a wife who's pregnant who doesn't feel safe riding in a red-carpet event, you know what I mean? How would you feel?" Papelbon said, according to MLB.com.

Papelbon did pitch and received a harsh welcome when he entered in the All-Star Game in the eighth inning.

The crowd of 55,632 chanted "Overrated" with Papelbon on the mound, and sounded almost pleased when he allowed Adrian Gonzalez's go-ahead sacrifice fly.
    Like someone was going to kill his wife...

All Pro
    Now this is what I call a "feel good" story.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Now this is what I call a "feel good" story.
    Haha seriously, this guy is becoming a joke.

All League
    As Seinfeld would say......

That's a shame.'

Quote Originally Posted by Al Woodall Rocks! View Post
    As Seinfeld would say......

That's a shame.'
    LOL, that's a perfect reaction

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I was at the game and that "over-rated" chant started so spontaneously and overtook the whole stadium immediately, it was like it was rehearsed.

I laughed my b*lls off.

It was in stark contrast to the unbelievable reception Rivera got.

You could see that Mo was clearly moved by the noise.

Jeter too, for that matter.

I couldnt bring myself to waste any energy cheering for Pay-Rod, though I thoroughly enjoyed booing each individual Red Sock (except Francona, he's aces)

If anyone really threatened Pablumbums wife, they deserve a beating.

Overall, a magical experience (ceptin for the hour wait for a train in Penn to go home, blech.pitoooey)

Boy who cried wolf.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You stay classy New York!

Hall Of Fame
    HAHAHA. We're supposed to feel sorry for this clown now? If you can't handle a little booing (which I'm sure a lot of other guys got too), go home. What a puss.

Take a lesson from it, Papshmear: KEEP YOUR STUPID MOUTH SHUT.

Not only does he b*tch and moan about not being able to close, he cries about not feeling welcome in NY... What a b*tch! Did he expect to be cheered? Jesus the guy is an idiot.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    lol, I cant even repeat the things the classy Red Sox fans said to my wife before I was thrown out of Fenway for standing up to 7 dudes by myself!

Pull-ease! lol

Don't make me link that article about Boston fans beating the crap out of a guy with a bat in front of his family.

Regardless it was wrong but the bum should've kept his mouth shut in the first place.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    Don't make me link that article about Boston fans beating the crap out of a guy with a bat in front of his family.

Regardless it was wrong but the bum should've kept his mouth shut in the first place.
    FYI- I'd love to hear the tape of the threats. I know a bunch of people at the parade yesterday, and they tell me, yes he was heckled (as we all the Bosux), but no one heard any threats to anyone's life. Sounds like the dummy is exaggerating a bit. Who would threaten his wife anyway? It doesn't make any sense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    HAHAHA. We're supposed to feel sorry for this clown now? If you can't handle a little booing (which I'm sure a lot of other guys got too), go home.
    Its a little different when it's your wife.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post

So that makes it OK to threaten a guy's wife?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    lol, I cant even repeat the things the classy Red Sox fans said to my wife before I was thrown out of Fenway for standing up to 7 dudes by myself!

Pull-ease! lol
    This sounds dubious at best. We are peaceful flower pot turner-overs.

Please post pic of your wife so this incident can be fully investigated.

Hall Of Fame
    "Our first trip into Boston after Thurman died, some *******s began chanting Munson sucks...totally classless." - Jim Spencer

All Pro

I don't know, I hear she had it coming. Pretty sizable gambling debts. Such a slippery slope.

HEEELLLLL NO.

There's retarded fans everywhere, my point is it's DUMB to call your fan base classy, and I don't mean you singularly, I mean everyone. Some people just are a little more crazy then the rest. That was the one thing that always irked me about about sports is when a fan base calls it self classy.

The only thing Papelbon deserved were the boo's and the you sucks and stuff like that. The wife thing is disgusting.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    "Our first trip into Boston after Thurman died, some *******s began chanting Munson sucks...totally classless." - Jim Spencer
    Again, that makes it OK to threaten his wife?