Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Boss' makes visit to Yankee Stadium

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

'Boss' makes visit to Yankee Stadium

NEW YORK -- George Steinbrenner, the venerable 78-year-old chairman of the Yankees, made a rare appearance in the Bronx on Tuesday night for the 79th All-Star Game.

Wearing dark glasses, Steinbrenner walked slowly into the stadium's media entrance with the aid of several companions, using one of them to lean on as he hobbled toward the elevator on a chronically sore knee.

He later was driven out on to the field along with his son Hal at the end of the lengthy pregame ceremony in which this year's All-Stars were introduced at their fielding positions along with 49 of the 63 living Hall of Famers.

"It was very emotional," said Hal Steinbrenner, the chairman of Yankees Global and the younger of the two sons now running the Yankees. "There was a lot of energy down there. It was magical, that's for sure. I think he really appreciated it."

Steinbrenner waved to the crowd and was hugged by several of the current and former Yankees on the field, which included Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, Wade Boggs, Rich Gossage, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Mariano Rivera.

As he rode out through a gate in the outfield fence and around the warning track, Steinbrenner was introduced by his moniker, "The Boss."

"I don't even know how many people were cheering. It was all kind of a blur when you're moving," the younger Steinbrenner said. "I know he appreciated it because I could tell by the look on his face. A lot of the Hall of Famers came over and said, 'Hi' to him over by the mound. It was all special. All of it."

Participating in the event, though, was a last-minute decision.

"We had thought about it, but we really hadn't talked to him about it until today," Hal Steinbrenner said. "He's very much adverse to that kind of recognition. But we told him we really wanted to see him do it. 'We'd love to recognize you and Major League Baseball would. It would be a great thing.' He was great about it."

Steinbrenner, who purchased the team in 1972 from CBS, recently has been reported in ill health. And he appeared to be a bit shaky as he was helped on and off the cart in the Yankee Stadium clubhouse level

His son, though, dispelled any notion that his father was in ill health.

"His knee has been bothering him for a while," he said. "It's a little hard for him to get up and down sometimes. But he got through it great. We had a good time."

The elder Steinbrenner has been seen sparingly in the Bronx this season, the last at the 85-year-old ballpark on 161st Street and River Avenue. The final regular-season game is scheduled for Sept. 21 against the Orioles, and then the scene will shift across 161st Street to the new Yankee Stadium next season.

During Steinbrenner's tenure, the Yankees have won the World Series six times and captured 10 American League pennants. They last won the World Series in 2000, defeating the crosstown rival Mets.

This was the second All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium since Steinbrenner became principal owner, the other having been staged in 1977, a year after the original stadium was refurbished.

Last year, he handed day-to-day control of the franchise to his two sons and ultimately changed his title from principal owner to chairman.
    It was good to see him out there. I knew he was in poor health of late and that's why his sons were kind of rushed into their positions. This article really makes it seems like he doesn't know much going on anymore. Just the fact that his sons are quoted for him and he doesn't have any direct quotes in there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    It was good to see him out there. I knew he was in poor health of late and that's why his sons were kind of rushed into their positions. This article really makes it seems like he doesn't know much going on anymore. Just the fact that his sons are quoted for him and he doesn't have any direct quotes in there.
    Yeah as much as I wasn't a fan of his, was kind of sad to see him in rough shape. I hope he was in good enough shape to appreciate it all. Sucks getting old.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a great moment, you can tell he was emotional, the whole opening ceremony was fantastic. It was great being a Yankee fan fan last night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Yeah as much as I wasn't a fan of his, was kind of sad to see him in rough shape. I hope he was in good enough shape to appreciate it all. Sucks getting old.
    Even though he had the sunglasses on, it looked like he was crying. I think he understood 55,000 cheering fans at Yankee Stadium. Just the drastic and quick change from ruling this organization with an iron fist to probably having people help him eat and get dressed.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    He looked completely out of it. The frozen expression on his face made him look like he had had a stroke.

I could totally see him passing away and the Steinbrenner boys not reporting it for a while.

Even Yogi looked worried. You could see him mouth the words, "You ok?" when he came up to him and then kissed him on the cheek.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    He looked completely out of it. The frozen expression on his face made him look like he had had a stroke.

I could totally see him passing away and the Steinbrenner boys not reporting it for a while..
    What, you think it was a Weekend at Bernie's deal last night??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did he try to fire Billy Martin while he was there?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post

I could totally see him passing away and the Steinbrenner boys not reporting it for a while.

Even Yogi looked worried. You could see him mouth the words, "You ok?" when he came up to him and then kissed him on the cheek.
    Watching Jeter confront him was good to see. Steinbrenner has been Jeter's grandfather for 12 years the same way Torre was his father.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the announcers brought up the possibilty of George going to the Hall of Fame. It had never occurred to me before, but it actually makes a little sense. Say what you want about the guy, but there is no doubt he has had a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE impact on the business of baseball.

What do you guys think?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    One of the announcers brought up the possibilty of George going to the Hall of Fame. It had never occurred to me before, but it actually makes a little sense. Say what you want about the guy, but there is no doubt he has had a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE impact on the business of baseball.

What do you guys think?
    Slam dunk yes.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys think?
    No question

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys think?
    100%..

Im not a Yankee fan but I still believe he should eventually be inducted. He was the face of the team for a long time as an owner and thats rare.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the family wanting to keep things private but The Boss is obviously ill. A few posts back someone said 'stroke'. That is what I see too.

As a fan of the team since forever ago, I have been through his 'Terror Years' and hated him! As I have gotten older I have come to understand his passion for the team and the City. He made MANY mistakes but he also built the beast that is the NYY.

I wish him well and if he can do one more thing for us:

PLEASE PUT A MUZZLE ON HANK!!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    1st ballot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hall of Fame:

First ballot with 100% of the vote!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    100%..

Im not a Yankee fan but I still believe he should eventually be inducted. He was the face of the team for a long time as an owner and thats rare.
    I agree he's in the hall, but not just for the fact that he was as big a name in the news as anyone on the team. You could say the same about Dan Shnieder in football, but the boss had success and I think just his starting his own network, when no one really thought it would be possible is a huge contribution to sports... would the Met's have tried it if they didn't have Yes as a model.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What would be the rule on when he could be inducted? I would assume he's going to remain officially affiliated with the team until he passes. It would be a shame for him to get inducted 5 years after he passes, it would be great for him to hopefully he see it if they can do it in the next year or two.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys need to relax & think about who you're fawning over here....that blubbering idiot last night has been one of the worst people in baseball for over 30 years. He's an insecure, petty, vindictive & amoral person- the stories of which are too many to mention, & you all know them. If he hadn't been suspended for the 2nd time in the early 90's, he never would've let Stick Michael build the dynasty. It's never nice to see someone lose their faculties- growing old sucks- but that fat bastard lives in the form of his son Hank.....so don't worry, the Steinbrenner's will be overpaying baseball players for years to come.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    You guys need to relax & think about who you're fawning over here....that blubbering idiot last night has been one of the worst people in baseball for over 30 years. He's an insecure, petty, vindictive & amoral person- the stories of which are too many to mention, & you all know them. If he hadn't been suspended for the 2nd time in the early 90's, he never would've let Stick Michael build the dynasty. It's never nice to see someone lose their faculties- growing old sucks- but that fat bastard lives in the form of his son Hank.....so don't worry, the Steinbrenner's will be overpaying baseball players for years to come.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    way to earn thread idiot honors