Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Even The Mets Want Castillo Back!!!

Veteran

Not Even The Mets Want Castillo Back!!!

Mets aren't rushing to get Luis Castillo back into the lineup
    BY ADAM RUBIN
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, July 14th 2008, 4:00 AM

The Mets plan to give Luis Castillo the Orlando Hernandez treatment. In essence: Don't rush, we're doing fine.

Castillo, in the first season of a four-year, $25 million contract, and on the DL with a strained left hip flexor, is eligible to be activated Friday in Cincinnati, the day after the Mets return from the All-Star break. But with Damion Easley and rookie Argenis Reyes performing well as a tandem at the position, one Met official, when asked whether Castillo would rejoin the team during the Reds series, replied, "What for?"

Said interim manager Jerry Manuel, who has shown a preference for playing performers over players with large contracts: "We're really playing well at that position right now. That's a tough one. I need the break to think about that."

With the Mets minus Castillo, Easley (0-for-4 Sunday night) has started all but two games this month. But at 38 years old, he's been susceptible to injury, including quadriceps trouble that has nagged him since the July 1-3 series in St. Louis when he took over.

Manuel has raved about Reyes' range, and sees him as a run-producing sparkplug in the David Eckstein mold. Reyes, 25, is a slap hitter who hasn't hit more than three homers in any professional season.

SOOTHING: Ryan Church took batting practice and tossed a baseball for the first time since his latest shutdown to combat fatigue and dizziness. Mets doctors have labeled the latest flareup, which sent Church back to the DL, migraine-related rather than post-concussion syndrome. Church predicted he would be activated next Tuesday, for the opener of a three-game series against the Phillies at Shea. He first intends to play in minor-league rehab games.

Church said massages as well as exercises recommended during a two-day trip last week to the Cleveland Clinic have helped relieve tension in his neck that trigger migraines. He suggested fans may even spot him performing those exercises on the bench during games, while the Mets are batting.

"Waaaaaay better," Church labeled himself.

GO, PEDRO: Pedro Martinez was excused from Sunday night's first-half finale to extend his All-Star break in the Dominican Republic, where the pitcher planned to spend time with his father, who is suffering from inoperable brain cancer

Hall Of Fame
    Never really liked him, but I don't know if Easley can keep performing at the level he has been.

BTW, nice to see the Mets disregard the awful contract and not play a player because of it.

Veteran
    I would eat that contract and sign Orlando Hudson next year.

Veteran
    While where on the subject of secondbase.. do u guys think that double A prospect Dan Murphy could make the move to second base? Hes hitting over 300 with 10 HR so far this year.

Theres still Reese Havens that we drafted this year but i herd we might try him at catcher..

Are ether one of these guys going to be a solution in the future or is it a pipe dream

That deal just keeps getting worse and worse.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    While where on the subject of secondbase.. do u guys think that double A prospect Dan Murphy could make the move to second base? Hes hitting over 300 with 10 HR so far this year.

Theres still Reese Havens that we drafted this year but i herd we might try him at catcher..

Are ether one of these guys going to be a solution in the future or is it a pipe dream
    I know in his first week Murphy made 3 errors. I think he can make the transition,it's just going to take him a while.

He just needs to work on that, because he's a fine hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Terrible but not nearly as bad as the Posada deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post

Havens is a beast. He'll be on the fast track to the bigs as a middle infielder.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    ...not even close. I understand he was injured, and still can't play everyday behind the plate, but he's on the field getting his at bats, the Mets on the other hand are already saying they don't want Castillo. So how exactly is that worse than Posada? Be honest with yourself... it's not, not even close. Posada also have more options. He can play 1B or DH, if he can't catch. What else can Castillo do?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-16-2008 at 07:21 PM.

yeah good thing there's no salary cap in baseball or this would actually hurt the team alot more.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    yeah good thing there's no salary cap in baseball or this would actually hurt the team alot more.
    Yeah, you think they eat it? I'm sure they can, but it would have to be in favor of a cheap veteran or young player. The Mets have made it know they don't want to go pass the luxury tax threshold. I'm not sure how close they are, but eating Castillo's contract and signing another expensive player wouldn't help.

Hall Of Fame
    ...not even close. I understand he was injured, and still can't play everyday behind the plate, but he's on the field getting his at bats, the Mets on the other hand are already saying they don't want Castillo. So how exactly is that worse than Posada? Be honest with yourself... it's not, not even close. Posada also have more options. He can play 1B or DH, if he can't catch. What else can Castillo do?
    Posada has played in 49 games( 29 Catcher, 7 1B, 14 DH, 5 PH) getting 162 AB's. All this while making $13,100,000 this season.

Castillo has played in 68 games(65 2B, 3 PH) getting 245 AB's. All this while making $6,250,000 this season.

Both bad deals, but Posada's is worse, IMO.
    Last edited by Super Mario; 07-16-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KellenIsTheFuture View Post
    Posada has played in49 games( 29 Catcher, 7 1B, 14 DH, 5 PH) getting 162 AB's. All this while making $13,100,000 this season.

Castillo has played in 68 games(65 2B, 3 PH) getting 245 AB's. All this while making $6,250,000 this season.

Both bad deals, but Posada's is worse, IMO.
    Long term, it's not even close. Posada will still be on the Yankees, while Castillo will be ran out of town.

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah, you think they eat it? I'm sure they can, but it would have to be in favor of a cheap veteran or young player. The Mets have made it know they don't want to go pass the luxury tax threshold. I'm not sure how close they are, but eating Castillo's contract and signing another expensive player wouldn't help.
    Thresholds for luxury tax on team payrolls set at $148 million for 2007, $155 million for 2008, $162 million in 2009, $170 million in 2010 and $178 million in 2011. Tax rates on amount over threshold remain at 22.5 percent for first time over threshold, 30 percent for second time over threshold, 40 percent for third or subsequent time over threshold.
    Mets are currently at 138 million, close but not there yet.

Hall Of Fame
    Long term, it's not even close. Posada will still be on the Yankees, while Castillo will be ran out of town.
    We're talking about contracts. Posada signed a 4 year 52.4M contract. He's 36 years old.

Luis Castillo signed a 4 year 25M contract. He's 32 years old.

Why would you want Posada on the Yankees for 4 more years? By the time Castillo's contract ends he will be 36, the same age the Yankees signed Posada to a 4 year deal.

Mets are currently at 138 million, close but not there yet.
    Interesting

We're talking about contracts. Posada signed a 4 year 52.4M contract.

Luis Castillo signed a 4 year 25M contract.

Why would you want Posada on the Yankees for 4 more years?
    Because he is a leader in our clubhouse and can probably catch for a few more years and then be a 1B/DH.

I don't care about the money, it's the years. Posada has a few options the next 3 seasons, Castillo doesn't.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-16-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Because he is a leader in our clubhouse and can probably catch for a few more years and then be a 1B/DH.

I don't care about the money, Posada has a few options the next 3 seasons, Castillo doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    ? We're deciding which is the worst deal. Money is the biggest factor.

I rather run Castillo out of town and eat the contract. It's only 6M per.

I wouldn't play Posada at 13M per with his diminshing skills.
    Last edited by Super Mario; 07-16-2008 at 07:45 PM.

? We're deciding which is the worst deal. Money is the biggest factor.

I rather run Castillo out of town and eat the contract. It's only 6M per.

I wouldn't play Posada at 13M per with his diminshing skills.
    How do you know he has diminishing skills? He's injured and needs surgery on his throwing shoulder.

Worst Case Scenario, you have to think if the Mets ate a couple million a year, that Castillo would not be that hard to unload. I'd have to think there'd be a few teams interested in him as a 3-4 million a year player. He still gets on base alot, he still can steal some bases, he has some value to a team looking for a player like him.