Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major positive breakthrough with Iran?

Jets Insider VIP

Major positive breakthrough with Iran?

[B]U.S. to establish diplomatic presence in Iran for first time in 30 years[/B]

[I]Ahmadinejad suggests he would consider proposal for U.S. presence inside country[/I]

[I]Remarkable turnaround in policy by Bush administration[/I]

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,384505,00.html[/url]

This is big news and good news if true. I know it will find it's way to the Politics Forum shortly but thought it warranted being shared with everyone.

Very big news, especially to the paranoid Bush-bashers who think his last great move will be to declare war on Iran.

Ahmadinejad is a nut, but a lot of people forget that he doesn't have a position of real power within the country.

All League
    Nah. War with Iran. I forget why.

All Pro
    I say no.

Iran is our enemy, they and other countries such as Syria, Pakistan, Korea, Saudi Arabia, etc., there all funding surrogate armies to try and destroy the US like we did the Soviets.

All League
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2631564]Very big news, especially to the paranoid Bush-bashers who think his last great move will be to declare war on Iran.[/QUOTE]

Don't sell him short. He's just stupid enough to do it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2631564]Very big news, especially to the paranoid Bush-bashers who think his last great move will be to declare war on Iran.

[B]Ahmadinejad is a nut, but a lot of people forget that he doesn't have a position of real power within the country[/B].[/QUOTE]

Very good point. This looks to be a clear case of significant work taking place through back channels. For as much pressure as Bush has received to push diplomacy and communication with Iran, I believe there has been equal pressure in Iran on Ahmadinejad from centrists to soften his stance and reduce provocation.

Jets Insider VIP
    No way! Bomb these pussies and take their oil!

-realtalk-

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2631563][I]Remarkable turnaround in policy by Bush administration[/I][/QUOTE]

I'll say!

And further vindication of us on the left and our strategies over his tenure. I.E. Iraq invasion = bad turned out to be true, diplomacy with all countries including enemies = good also turned out to be true

and kinda vindicates Obama as he has been saying this for months (this is coming from a non-Obama supporter mind you, although I did agree with him on this issue)

All Pro
    Where are the cries of appeasement from the neocons?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2631575]No way! Bomb these pussies and take their oil!

-realtalk-[/QUOTE]

Yea, That really worked out well when we did it to Iraq.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2631681]I'll say!

And further vindication of us on the left and our strategies over his tenure. I.E. Iraq invasion = bad turned out to be true, diplomacy with all countries including enemies = good also turned out to be true

and kinda vindicates Obama as he has been saying this for months (this is coming from a non-Obama supporter mind you, although I did agree with him on this issue)[/QUOTE]

Spin working overtime here. Yer making me dizzy.:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2631787]Spin working overtime here. Yer making me dizzy.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

sure, whatever you say, Mr "Independent" :rolleyes:

and kinda vindicates Obama as he has been saying this for months (this is coming from a non-Obama supporter mind you, although I did agree with him on this issue)[/QUOTE]

I would't pop the champagne bottle and pat yourself on the back too hard, yet. Let's just see where the talks go.

Hopefully the talks will go on long enough for GW to be out of office.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2631826]I would't pop the champagne bottle and pat yourself on the back too hard, yet. Let's just see where the talks go.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they don't take our diplomats hostage when we keep insisting that they stop their nuclear enrichment program and they force the West to put in place hard sanctions.

All Pro
    [quote=parafly;2631690]Where are the cries of appeasement from the neocons?[/quote]

Glad you agree that a low-level diplomat holds the same stature as your choice for president, b. hussein obama.

And for the record, unless it's to spy or gain intel on that regime - it's a waste of time and a bad idea!

I am sure you speak from your vast diplomatic experience.

[QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb;2632034]Glad you agree that a low-level diplomat holds the same stature as your choice for president, b. hussein obama.

And for the record, unless it's to spy or gain intel on that regime - it's a waste of time and a bad idea![/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [quote=cr726;2632039]I am sure you speak from your vast diplomatic experience.[/quote]

Why not, I have more experience than b. hussein obama does.

Let's hear about it.

[QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb;2632067]Why not, I have more experience than b. hussein obama does.[/QUOTE]

So Iran having two governments toppled on border States one of which was an Islamic dictatorship much like Irans along with Israel's taking out Syria's reactor and NK coming to the table to end it's nuclear weapons program has nothing to do with Iran privately changing their stance and the US moving from indirect multi lateral talks to a direct participant?

Neither the left or the right or any represive form of government of any form has ever been vindicated.