Yankees have tentative deal with first baseman Sexson

By Buster Olney
    ESPN The Magazine
    (Archive)

Updated: July 17, 2008, 2:24 PM ET

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

The New York Yankees have reached a tentative agreement with Richie Sexson, who was released by the Seattle Mariners a week ago.

Richie Sexson

Sexson
    Sexson fits in New York because the Yankees needed a right-handed slugger to match up against left-handed pitching -- and Sexson had a .344 average against lefties this year.

Assuming the deal is completed, he'll be in the lineup Saturday against Oakland.

The Yankees will only have to pay Sexson the prorated minimum of $390,000 from his $14 million salary with the Mariners. Seattle is eating the remainder of the nearly $6 million Sexson is owed for the season.

Sexson was batting .218 with just 30 RBIs in 74 games when the Mariners cut him loose, on July 10. He hit a career-worst .205 with 21 homers and 100 strikeouts in 2007.
    It cant hurt, I will take it

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    It cant hurt, I will take it
    Damn you...lol. If someone can delete my other thread please go ahead.

okay signing, but i'm not expecting much to come of this.

Sounds good to me, a .218 average was enough for Varitek to get into the All-Star game

All League
    Molto bene, Paulie, molto bene!!!

My opinion of the deal:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Woodall Rocks! View Post
    Molto bene, Paulie, molto bene!!!

My opinion of the deal:
    It's an upgrade over betemit...
    Plus he hits good against left handed pitching, Sexson had a .344 average against lefties this year.. not too bad of a move
    Last edited by METER; 07-17-2008 at 04:08 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Sounds good to me, a .218 average was enough for Varitek to get into the All-Star game
    Well played Paulie.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'll take it. It couldn't possibly get any worse against lefties, and a prorated portion of the minimum salary. Why not?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by METER View Post
    It's an upgrade over betemit...
    Plus he hits good against left handed pitching, Sexson had a .344 average against lefties this year.. not too bad of a move
    could be good, but his AB's against Lefties is only 61?
    Breakdown AB R H HR RBI BB HBP SO AVG OBP SLG OPS
    vs. Left 61 10 21 5 12 9 0 13 .344 .423 .623 1.046
    vs. Right 191 17 34 6 18 28 0 63 .178 .281 .304 .585

Exactly, this is a cheap option to a semi-solution for our hitting against lefties. We can easily platoon Sexson, IMO it's not going to hurt us.

Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    could be good, but his AB's against Lefties is only 61?
    Breakdown AB R H HR RBI BB HBP SO AVG OBP SLG OPS
    vs. Left 61 10 21 5 12 9 0 13 .344 .423 .623 1.046
    vs. Right 191 17 34 6 18 28 0 63 .178 .281 .304 .585
    Thank you

Im so sick and tired of people putting up the guys BA against lefties like that means anything...Sexson had 61 AB's and 21 hits against LHP this season, that's not a big enough sample...Look at his career numbers which are much more telling, the guys a career .265 hitter against LHP...

That said im not against the move, its a low risk high reward situation and who knows maybe a change of scenery might revitalize the guy...I personally think he'll be about as useful as Morgan Ensberg...

Needless to say if Sexson and Milton are Cashmans only moves then the seasons as good as over...Ill be shocked if this team wins more than 85 games, that second half schedule is absolutely brutal...

I like it. This is a low risk move that could give us a nice reward. Nothing great, but it could be a decent improvement against lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    Thank you

Im so sick and tired of people putting up the guys BA against lefties like that means anything...Sexson had 61 AB's and 21 hits against LHP this season, that's not a big enough sample...Look at his career numbers which are much more telling, the guys a career .265 hitter against LHP...

That said im not against the move, its a low risk high reward situation and who knows maybe a change of scenery might revitalize the guy...I personally think he'll be about as useful as Morgan Ensberg...

Needless to say if Sexson and Milton are Cashmans only moves then the seasons as good as over...Ill be shocked if this team wins more than 85 games, that second half schedule is absolutely brutal...

Bravo...very well done and refreshing to see in this forum.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Bravo...very well done and refreshing to see in this forum.
    You guys are ridiculous. Can you not see that the guy is costing the Yanks $160,000? That's all. What harm can this pickup do?

And btw, the Yanks aren't looking to make any big moves because the Yanks know something already: they're not a contender this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    Thank you

You said it perfectly right there.

That's why I think it's a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    You guys are ridiculous. Can you not see that the guy is costing the Yanks $160,000? That's all. What harm can this pickup do?

And btw, the Yanks aren't looking to make any big moves because the Yanks know something already: they're not a contender this year.
    Not a big fan of throwing crap at the problem to see what sticks. When you are 6 games out on July 17th you are indeed a contender.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Not a big fan of throwing crap at the problem to see what sticks. When you are 6 games out on July 17th you are indeed a contender.
    The Yanks are 6 games out with their best hitter and best pitcher gone for the year. The haven't shown any consistency whatsoever on offense for the first 3 1/2 months of the year. They are not a contender.

Even if by some miracle the Yanks can sneak in and get the wild card, I don't think anyone in the organization realistically believes that this team can contend for a championship. They still don't have that dominant ace, can't hit, and have zero depth. In Yankeeland, "contender" means you have a shot to win it all. Just getting in isn't good enough.

Again, this is more than throwing crap against the wall. No one is asking Sexson to hit 20 homers down the stretch and rescue this team. As bad as he has been, he's actually an upgrade over what the Yankees currently are putting up against lefties:
    Giambi .229
    Betemit .235

The Yanks are 6 games out with their best hitter and best pitcher gone for the year.
    A-Rod is out for the year?!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHector View Post
    A-Rod is out for the year?!
    Who?

Who?
    The Yankees' best hitter. You said he was out for the year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHector View Post
    The Yankees' best hitter. You said he was out for the year.
    Eh, ARod's their best overall player. Close on the best hitter. Matsui does havea higher BA and OBP.

I guess I should have said "best left handed hitter". You get the point though, having Matsui out is a huge loss for this lineup. And as a result, they're not a very good team.