Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The United States Survival is on the Line - Al Gore

The United States Survival is on the Line - Al Gore

[QUOTE]WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States should be making all of its electricity with renewable and carbon-free energy in 10 years, former Vice President Al Gore said Thursday.

America's security, environmental and economic crises are all related, Al Gore said Thursday.

"The survival of the United States of America as we know it is at risk," Gore said.

In a speech at Washington's Constitution Hall, Gore touched on an array of the nation's current woes, saying the economic, environmental and national security crises are all related.

[B]"I don't remember a time in our country when so many things seemed to be going so wrong simultaneously," Gore said.[/B]

To begin to fix all the problems, Gore said, "the answer is to end our reliance on carbon-based fuels." Watch more on Gore's answer to energy crisis

Gore called on the country to produce all of its electricity from renewable and carbon-free sources in 10 years, a goal he compared to President Kennedy's challenge for the country to put a man on the moon in the 1960s.

Gore chastised those who have proposed opening new areas for oil drilling as a solution to U.S. energy problems.

"It is only a truly dysfunctional system that would buy into the perverse logic that the short-term answer to high gasoline prices is drilling for more oil 10 years from now," Gore said.

New demand from places like China means oil supplies won't be able to meet increasing demand, Gore said.

"The way to bring gas prices down is to end our dependence on oil and use the renewable sources that can give us the equivalent of $1 a gallon gasoline," the former vice president and Nobel laureate said. Read Gore's full speech

After losing the presidential election to then-Texas Gov. George Bush in 2000, Gore returned to the nation's political main stage with "An Inconvenient Truth," a documentary film detailing global warming's effects on the planet, in 2006. The widely acclaimed film went on to win an Academy Award for best documentary in 2007.

In the movie, Gore explains how the levels of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases have grown exponentially in the last few decades and how that has lead to changes in the Earth's climate, such as shrinking polar ice caps and an increase in the number of hurricanes and other violent storms.

To counteract the effects of global warming, Gore has pushed for polices that would reduce the emission of carbon dioxide, such as greater energy conservation and the development of alternative energy sources like wind and solar energy. Gore has also advocated for governments to tax the emission of carbon dioxide.

Gore and the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 for increasing awareness of the climate change issue and for advocating for policies that could potentially offset the effects of global warming.

Gore's return to the political arena has drawn increased scrutiny, particularly of his energy use. In 2007, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research chastised Gore for "extravagant energy use" at his Nashville, Tennessee, mansion.

Gore subsequently has installed solar panels, compact fluorescent light bulbs and other energy-saving technologies in his home.[/QUOTE]

Thoughts?

If by "survival," he means "long-term survival as a global economic power," which I think he does, I'm with him.

10 years seems unrealistic, but somebody needs to push the envelope. Certainly a lot can be achieved by then.

Hall Of Fame
    personally, I don't know much about global warming and whether its real or not, truthfully it laughable that its become a left and right issue.. I look at it this way, regardless of whether its true or not we should be less dependent on oil for many obvious reasons, I cant see how either side of the spectrum can argue with that point.

Are there alot of issues now, yes indeed. Are they all tied together, probably so. Does this country need to get its stuff together in order to survive as the dominant world power that it wants to be, absolutely. We are on the verge of a serious economic crisis which could result in our world status slipping. Steps must be made know or we will not be the country that we know and love.

decreasing our energy dependence and and easing our financial foreign debt are the two major issues going on today. Hey if we were already free from oil dependency would we be in Iraq and Afghanistan today? probably not

It's pretty obvious that if we don't heed Al's advice, the sea level will rise 20 feet and people will start to spontaneously burst into flames.

EDIT> A fun drinking game you can try at home: Listen to almost any democrat speak. Every time they use the word "crisis" take a drink. You won't last long.

[QUOTE=Mean Bro Green;2632578]I don't know much about global warming and whether its real or not, truthfully it laughable that its become a left and right issue[/QUOTE]

I do not believe that the concept of Man having an effect on the environment is really a "left/right" issue. Even the most hardened right-winger I know off this forum agrees that pollution is bad, climate must be studied, and that we should work for a clean environment.

The "left/right" issue is how, what and when we address this issue, and the various predictions as to how the issue will harm us.

As laid out here, Al Gore and his vast array of followers are telling us the United States will be destroyed in 10 years if we do not end Oil use now.

Based on the current level of climate understanding (or lack therof) and the limited abillity of our science to actually prove their climate predictions, and with a long laundry list of previous and equally dire predictions from many of the same scientists (the next Ice Age! Acid Rain! Etc, etc, etc.) some are rightly cautious about making an extremely costly fundamental change to how our society generates it's current quality of living via it's energy.

And beyond that, we simply do not believe the motivations of those involved are as pure as some like to claim. Climate science needs justification for funding just like any other branch, and if the climate really is just cyclical and our effect not nearly so devastating, that funding might (would) get cut. And no scientist wants to see that. With that said, I trust them more than I trust the Politicians behind this movement. Their motivations and goals are extremely suspect.

We'll see this summer.......the most recent dire prediction is an iceless North pole. Of course, our scientists cannot tell us if this has happened before, and if so what caused it before, but apparently it means the end of humanity as we know it if it happens this year. So we'll see, if and when it happens, we'll see.

I think people that feel strongly about it should go to Gore's website and make a donation.

[URL="https://secure.wecansolveit.org/page/contribute/contribute"]https://secure.wecansolveit.org/page/contribute/contribute[/URL]

I don't know what you get at the $2,300 level. Maybe a green coffee mug.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2632479]Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

the bolded part seems spot on :thumbup:

but that reminds me that it makes me feel :steamin:

Waterboy
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2632896]the bolded part seems spot on :thumbup:

but that reminds me that it makes me feel :steamin:[/QUOTE]

I don't know how old Al Gore is but wasn't he around in the 70's when people had to wait in lines at the gas station and interest rates were in the high teens? Seems alot worse than nowadays.

al gore is a simpleton...i don't know where to start with his fear-mongering...is is off on so many levels...

Hall Of Fame
    I heard he took a Suburban to make the speech. Left the Prius at home.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE]Gore called on the country to produce all of its electricity from renewable and carbon-free sources in 10 years, a goal he compared to President Kennedy's challenge for the country to put a man on the moon in the 1960s.[/QUOTE]

only a fool like algore would equate this to kennedy's challenge of putting a man on the moon, which polluted the enviroment and space....

[QUOTE=Warfish;2632479]Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Al(Fraud)Gore is so full of $hit, it's coming out his ears....

[QUOTE]"I don't remember a time in our country when so many things seemed to be going so wrong simultaneously," Gore said.[/QUOTE]

Apparently he's forgotten the Carter years.....

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2632896]the bolded part seems spot on :thumbup:

but that reminds me that it makes me feel :steamin:[/QUOTE]

Well, as you'd expect I bolded that because of how much I generally disagree.

The only troubles I see these days are the misguided policies of Democrats, most of which will hurt me if they win (when they win) in November.

But even then, life today is in America is still stunning great. Maybe you have complaints you feel are legit, and that fine, but other than the ongoing evil of Political Correctness run rampant and an ongoing desire of the Supreme Court to take away my rights and Democrats to take away my income for redistribution, life is pretty damn peachy.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2633150]I heard he took a Suburban to make the speech. Left the Prius at home.[/QUOTE]

you [B]gotta[/B] watch this video of the event....

[url]http://www.americansforprosperity.org/index.php?id=6070[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2633540]you [B]gotta[/B] watch this video of the event....

[url]http://www.americansforprosperity.org/index.php?id=6070[/url][/QUOTE]

Classic!

[QUOTE=Warfish;2633346]Well, as you'd expect I bolded that because of how much I generally disagree.

The only troubles I see these days are the misguided policies of Democrats, most of which will hurt me if they win (when they win) in November.

But even then, life today is in America is still stunning great. Maybe you have complaints you feel are legit, and that fine, but other than the ongoing evil of Political Correctness run rampant and an ongoing desire of the Supreme Court to take away my rights and Democrats to take away my income for redistribution, life is pretty damn peachy.[/QUOTE]

are you kidding me????

everything is peachy????

you have to be speaking sarcastically.......I mean...you have to...

peachy??? really????

(that's right...the more question marks I use the more legit my question is!!!!)

All League
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2633540]you [B]gotta[/B] watch this video of the event....

[url]http://www.americansforprosperity.org/index.php?id=6070[/url][/QUOTE]

:yes:

All League
    its amazing that the people who hate Al Gore the most, pay the most attention to him. nobody else brings the dude up.

wake up! nobody cares!

Al Gore and the Global Warming crowd are lunatics.