Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillies acquire Joe Blanton

Phillies acquire Joe Blanton

Phils reach agreement on Blanton

By Buster Olney
    ESPN The Magazine
    Updated: July 17, 2008, 7:02 PM ET

The Phillies have reached an agreement with the Oakland Athletics to acquire right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton.

Blanton is 5-12 this season after going 14-10 with a 3.95 ERA last season.

The Athletics get second baseman Adrian Cardenas, pitcher Josh Outman and outfielder Matthew Spencer, all minor leaguers.

Hall Of Fame
    Cardenas is probably their top prospect.

Phils are going for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by KellenIsTheFuture View Post
    Cardenas is probably their top prospect.

Phils are going for it now.
    Nope,

Carrasco a RHP is their top prospect, but Cardenas is probably their best hitting prospect.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Nope,

Carrasco a RHP is their top prospect, but Cardenas is probably their best hitting prospect.
    Yerp.

Hall Of Fame
    Nope,

Yeah, pretty much.

Hall Of Fame
    Good news, he's on my fantasy.

WOW... Phillies farm system is worse than the Mets, they don't have a Fernando Martinez in this system.

WOW... Phillies farm system is worse than the Mets, they don't have a Fernando Martinez in this system.
    Mets farm system got Church and Johan. That system also has produced Big Mike Pelfrey and still has Martinez. Say hello to Ian and Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Mets farm system got Church and Johan. That system also has produced Big Mike Pelfrey and still has Martinez. Say hello to Ian and Phil.
    Joba Chamberlain says hello.

I love how you happened to forget him.

Veteran
    Joba Chamberlain says hello.

I love how you happened to forget him.
    Love how u brought the yankees up he was comparing the phills and the mets???

Yankee fans r such douches sometimes

edit- My mistake i didn't read the last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    Love how u brought the yankees up he was comparing the phills and the mets???

Yankee fans r such douches sometimes
    Are you confused? I was talking about the Phillies and Mets, and he brought up the Yankees.

Cardenas is a nice prospect, but I thought for sure this would cost them Carrasco with Billy Beane involved. I'm a bit suprised it didn't. Of course, Beane might have preferred Cardenas for all we know. He's not one to agree with the consensus prospect rankings.

I don't think Blanton is all that good anyways. His best trait is being an innings eater who is under control for 2.5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Cardenas is a nice prospect, but I thought for sure this would cost them Carrasco with Billy Beane involved. I'm a bit suprised it didn't. Of course, Beane might have preferred Cardenas for all we know. He's not one to agree with the consensus prospect rankings.

I don't think Blanton is all that good anyways. His best trait is being an innings eater who is under control for 2.5 years.
    Is it just me, or has Beane not really asked for a whole lot for Blanton or Harden?

Hall Of Fame

Agreed, I think he is overrated. His K rate is low and his walk rate his high this year.

A contact pitcher in CBP is not good.

Is it just me, or has Beane not really asked for a whole lot for Blanton or Harden?
    One has a 5 ERA, the other has been on the DL 9 times. Not exactly people who demand elite packages in return.

Are you confused? I was talking about the Phillies and Mets, and he brought up the Yankees.
    Because you are intent on knocking our system which has gotten us big time players.

All Pro

Some scouts absolutely hate Carrasco. I assume Billy Beane and his goon squad are on of them.

One has a 5 ERA, the other has been on the DL 9 times. Not exactly people who demand elite packages in return.
    Good point. I still think the Cubies will look like gold after all this.

Hall Of Fame
    Some people have questioned what he has gotten in return, but I will wait and see. Beane has a tremendous eye for young talent.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Because you are intent on knocking our system which has gotten us big time players.
    You got Santana in a watered down market (Yankees, Sox, Dodgers all backed off) and Church has a hell of a lot to prove until he becomes a "big time player"