Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McCain gets Social Security

McCain gets Social Security

Millionaires need their SS check.

[QUOTE]McCain gets Social Security but criticizes system By DAVID A. LIEB, Associated Press Writer
    Thu Jul 17, 3:21 PM ET

[B]Although Republican presidential candidate John McCain has called Social Security "a disgrace," he still cashes his own retirement check every month.[/B]

"I'm receiving the benefits, the system is broken and, unfortunately, my children and grandchildren, according to the trustees of the Social Security system, will not have the same benefits the present retirees have," McCain told reporters Thursday on his campaign bus.

McCain's 2007 tax return shows Social Security benefits of $23,157 for the year, an average of $1,929.75 a month. He said he started receiving the payments "whenever I was eligible."

Asked last week by a young woman at a town-hall meeting in Portsmouth, Ohio, if she is likely to receive Social Security benefits one day, McCain said it is unlikely without fixing the system.

"Americans have got to understand that we are paying present-day retirees with the taxes paid by young workers in America today," he said. "And that's a disgrace. It's an absolute disgrace, and it's got to be fixed."

Social Security benefits are projected to exceed the system's tax revenues in about nine years. The program's trustees have said the Social Security trust fund will be depleted by 2041 unless the system is changed.

McCain, who will turn 72 next month, was eligible to receive full-retirement benefits when he turned 65. In 2008, the maximum benefit for a person retiring at full retirement age was $2,185.

McCain reported a total income of $405,409 in 2007. As a senator, he is paid $169,300 a year. Last year, he donated $105,467 to charity, his return shows.

McCain's wife, Cindy, reported a total income of more than $6 million in 2006, according to the campaign. She files her tax return separately from her husband and has received an extension for 2007. Heiress to a large Arizona beer distributorship, she is reportedly worth more than $100 million.

People are not required to take Social Security payments, according to B.J. Jarrett, a spokesman with the Social Security Administration.

"An individual does have the right to refuse his/her Social Security retirement benefit. However, Social Security is an entitlement program and an individual would essentially be forfeiting a benefit based upon contributions during his/her working lifetime," Jarrett said.

___

Associated Press writer Devlin Barrett contributed to this report.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080717/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_social_security;_ylt=AprRvBqM9McdEsFzXRuZJ_as0NUE[/url]

A lot of weathy older people don't [B]NEED[/B] their SS checks, but it is their money just the same. They paid into it, so they get it back. Doesn't matter how much money they already have.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=cr726;2633114]Millionaires need their SS check.

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080717/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_social_security;_ylt=AprRvBqM9McdEsFzXRuZJ_as0NUE[/url][/QUOTE]

He paid into the system, why shouldn't he get a check?

Veteran
    This isn't all that much different than global warming proponents using private jets, SUVs, etc. is it? Just a different reaction to it for some people. "They bought the jet, why shouldn't they use it?"

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Sharrow;2633140]This isn't all that much different than global warming proponents using private jets, SUVs, etc. is it? Just a different reaction to it for some people.[/QUOTE]

No, its very different. Thousands of dollars were taken out of their paychecks over the years. They paid into the system. They are not being at all hypocritical like the global warming/Al Gore groupies. If you can't see the difference, you are blind.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Sharrow;2633140]This isn't all that much different than global warming proponents using private jets, SUVs, etc. is it? Just a different reaction to it for some people. "They bought the jet, why shouldn't they use it?"[/QUOTE]

laughable....

He has the right to turn it down. He doesn't need it and he doesn't agree with SS, but yet he takes it. Ok.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2633135]He paid into the system, why shouldn't he get a check?[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Sharrow;2633140]This isn't all that much different than global warming proponents using private jets, SUVs, etc. is it? Just a different reaction to it for some people. "They bought the jet, why shouldn't they use it?"[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2633143]No, its very different. Thousands of dollars were taken out of their paychecks over the years. They paid into the system. They are not being at all hypocritical like the global warming/Al Gore groupies. If you can't see the difference, you are blind.[/QUOTE]

you mean the government doesn't forcibly take money out of your paycheck weekly with the promise that you will have a private jet down the road???? :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 07-17-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=cr726;2633175]He has the right to turn it down. He doesn't need it and he doesn't agree with SS, but yet he takes it. Ok.[/QUOTE]

Why would he make such a stupid personal finance decision? If I was in a position where I was 72 and set up so that SS income was gravy, I would still take it and donate the proceeds to a school or charity.

He does that already with his $160K salary. Think he even knows when or how much he actually gets? I bet not.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2633294]Why would he make such a stupid personal finance decision? If I was in a position where I was 72 and set up so that SS income was gravy, I would still take it and donate the proceeds to a school or charity.[/QUOTE]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=cr726;2633175]He has the right to turn it down. He doesn't need it and he doesn't agree with SS, but yet he takes it. Ok.[/QUOTE]

And Democrats have the right to pay more in taxes than required.

Strawmen arguments don't get any more shabby that this. :rolleyes:

How about the day Obama and our boards liberal pro-universal healthcare population starts paying double their required taxes to fund it, you can demand McCain stop accepting his just due Social Security.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2633294]Why would he make such a stupid personal finance decision? If I was in a position where I was 72 and set up so that SS income was gravy, I would still take it and donate the proceeds to a school or charity.[/QUOTE]

c'mon man- your arguements can't hold up......I mean what better way to show your disgust for social security then to pay into it all your life then not collect a dime!!! (lmfao)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;2633339]And Democrats have the right to pay more in taxes than required.

Strawmen arguments don't get any more shabby that this. :rolleyes:

How about the day Obama and our boards liberal pro-universal healthcare population starts paying double their required taxes to fund it, you can demand McCain stop accepting his just due Social Security.[/QUOTE]

funny you should mention that...

I previously posted a thread about double taxation obama avoiding taxes by having huge sums of money invested in tax free funds/accounts and all the leftists on the forum such as the thread starter had their periods weeks earlier then scheduled...

Maybe he should pay his backtaxes on his property. A family worth over 100 million should be collecting the 23k. You got it.

I am not disgusted. I think it is pretty funny a multi-millionaire needs his SS check. If you pulled the check think he would of noticed?

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2633551]c'mon man- your arguements can't hold up......I mean what better way to show your disgust for social security then to pay into it all your life then not collect a dime!!! (lmfao)[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    It's a disgrace...there isn't enough money...I'll be cashing this, thank you.

Old people are dumb. Don't they have a post office or a rotary club to go to or something?

Hall Of Fame
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

dude is old... so old it's old with an O like so:

[img]http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/5000/5003/o_101_lg.gif[/img]

:D

Warfish: "shabby" is too kind an adjective for this thread.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2637662]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

dude is old... so old it's old with an O like so:

[img]http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/5000/5003/o_101_lg.gif[/img]

:D[/QUOTE]

In how many threads are you going to insert that same idiotic joke? Where's the joke showing us how black Obama is?

[QUOTE=shakin318;2637829]In how many threads are you going to insert that same idiotic joke? Where's the joke showing us how black Obama is?[/QUOTE]

I think I'm darker than Obama and I'm white.

All League
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2633123]A lot of weathy older people don't [B]NEED[/B] their SS checks, but it is their money just the same. They paid into it, so they get it back. Doesn't matter how much money they already have.[/QUOTE]

i agree. this is kinda weak. he paid into it his whole life. why should he not get it? it's his money.