Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why healthcare needs to be fixed...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Greenwave81;2636124]Great...another guy/gal that for whatever reason thinks that since Doctor's get paid for their services, there must be an inherent conflict of interest in their decision making....every Doctor is just a shill ordering tests and lopping off body parts for cash.

What is truly pathetic is statements such as this:

I really have a hard time believing that there are some people that are actually that cynical and distrusting of others in their daily life without reason to be so. Yes, Doctors get paid for their services...so what? Yes, Doctors get paid well for thier services...but it costs a lot to get the training and credentials required by the government to even get a license to work in the field, and we can potentially be sued for every decision/action we take. We work hours when most people are either drunk or sleeping.

Some priests are molesters...do you want to do away with organized religion? There are shyster lawyers that act in their own interest rather than the interest of their clients...want to control them too? What about stockbrokers recommending investments because the kickbacks are more enticing? Mortgage brokers? What about car dealers that charge different people different amounts for the same car? Are their dishonest people you are going to come across during your life? Sure, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some honest ones too.

What is really ironic is that liberals such as yourself, who are so distrusting of other individuals that you need to provide you with potentially life-extending care, are so quick to trust the government to provide it to you instead.... a faceless entity composed of other individuals that you do not even know, but for some reason you trust them to act in your best interest rather than the professional who you are looking in the eye across the table and hopefully have a trusting relationship with.

I can't argue with you if you truly believe that Doctor's make medical decisions purely or largely based on profit motives...it won't make any difference. Believe it or not, I make decisions based on what is medically right for each individual, and treat them the same regardless of whether they can pay me or not.[/QUOTE]

Well, you seem to want it to be all or nothing, which is not what I'm suggesting at all. You mentioned one other point, however, which I should have included in my list: clinical decisions that are based on fear of liability rather than good medical sense. I've worked in hospital systems for 23 years and I can't tell you how many times somebody has been admitted because of fear that a mistake will result in liability. I think doctors in the US actually have a raw deal as practicioners. Their education is too expensive and should be subsidized, they are hounded by liability concerns in some case to the point of leaving their areas of speciality (obstectrics, anyone?), and they are boxed in by patients who want more than the system should bear and insurers who peck away from the other end. You like this system? Have fun. There was a time when being a doctor was akin to being clergy -- highly respected, autonomous, and primarily clinical. Those days are long dead. You know it, and I know it. Does it mean there aren't good doctors out there who maintain their standards of practice in the face of the nonsense? Sure. But there are an incredibly large number of physicians who are very unhappy practicing in the current environment. I think you know that too. But you seem to think the only alternative is some massive national service run by the federal commisars. There are numerous options in the middle ground. That's what I believe would be a good direction to go.

All League
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2636240]Well, you seem to want it to be all or nothing, which is not what I'm suggesting at all. You mentioned one other point, however, which I should have included in my list: clinical decisions that are based on fear of liability rather than good medical sense. I've worked in hospital systems for 23 years and I can't tell you how many times somebody has been admitted because of fear that a mistake will result in liability. I think doctors in the US actually have a raw deal as practicioners. Their education is too expensive and should be subsidized, they are hounded by liability concerns in some case to the point of leaving their areas of speciality (obstectrics, anyone?), and they are boxed in by patients who want more than the system should bear and insurers who peck away from the other end. You like this system? Have fun. There was a time when being a doctor was akin to being clergy -- highly respected, autonomous, and primarily clinical. Those days are long dead. You know it, and I know it. Does it mean there aren't good doctors out there who maintain their standards of practice in the face of the nonsense? Sure. But there are an incredibly large number of physicians who are very unhappy practicing in the current environment. I think you know that too. But you seem to think the only alternative is some massive national service run by the federal commisars. There are numerous options in the middle ground. That's what I believe would be a good direction to go.[/QUOTE]

These are the first things that you have posted in this thread that I can actually agree with.

But what changed the 'system' to begin with...you know, from a time when Doctors were considered like clergy...highly respected, autonomous and clinical? While some fault falls on the Doctors themselves (for not fighting government intrusion at the beginning, and some Doctors raping the Medicare system early on when it was first formed), the largest blame falls on the government and an ever expanding pool of lawyers that found an easy target to sue.

Whenever the government sticks it's nose into a market, it is to favor one person over another and creates distortion...right now, that distortion falls on the people with, and the businesses that provide, private health insurance.

While there are a lot of physicians that are unhappy in the current practice environment, they aren't unhappy because of a lack of government intrusion into the system...and I firmly believe that with further government involvement or the institution of socialized medicine this will be plainly evident by the number of physicians that will quit practice and retire.

Present day Democrats, and organizations like the Commonwealth Fund aren't talking about 'middle of the road' solutions...they want a government run system from top to bottom. I'm open to potential middle of the road solutions to the present problems, but that's not what a lot of people are talking about.

Middle of the road solutions:

1. Cap malpractice liability for all cases other than agregious or criminal negligence. Indigent care patients, who are receiving charity, lose ability to sue providers. Institute a system of 'loser pays costs' in the malpractice system.

2. Allow physicians to 'write off' against earnings charity care provided to the indigent.

3. Remove government regulations as to what is required to be provided in health insurance plans such as infertility care, mental health care etc.

4. Remove businesses from providing health care insurance. Allow individuals to establish medical savings accounts which employers can contribute pre-tax earnings to allow individuals to purchase what insurance they desire. Allow medical savings accounts to accrue interest tax-free and be available for later in life when health care costs are likely to be incurred.

5. Look at a potential system where the government would provide 'catastrophic' coverage for all medical expenses over a set amount...this would limit private insurers liability exposure.

6. Revoke the prescription drug coverage (or at least means test it) for seniors....or allow it to cover generic drugs only.