Thread: Ashcroft denies he was pushed out of Bush League

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Ashcroft denies he was pushed out of Bush League

[B][SIZE="4"]Ashcroft: I was not pushed out, my departure was ‘voluntary.’[/SIZE][/B]

Earlier this week, the Dallas Morning News released an [URL="http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/interview-with.html"]interview with former U.S. Attorney David Iglesias[/URL], who stated that former Attorney General John Ashcroft was “pushed out” of the Bush Administration because he “refused to sign off on the warrantless wiretaps.” Iglesias said that “had Ashcroft done the wrong thing, the unconstitutional thing, and signed off on it, he’d probably still be the AG.”

During a hearing today before the House Judiciary Committee, Ashcroft denied Iglesias’ account, telling Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-CA), “My departure was a decision of my own. It was a decision I made. It was voluntary.”

Watch it:
    [URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=6okAqSsq2_M"]...[/URL]

Ashcroft refused to answer further questions about his departure saying, “I’m not a book writer like so many other people are. I have written books, but they’re not very interesting,” a likely reference to Scott McClellan’s tell-all book about the administration.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know a lot of our friends on the left like to disparage Ashcroft, but as much as anyone I have seen in recent politics, Ashcroft has done the honorable thing.

Looks like he made the decision because he knew it was wrong.

It might not be what the left thinks is right, but it is what he thinks is right. I'm pretty sure he once even chose not to challenge a very close election for the senate in his home state where the sitting senator died and his wife ran. Something like that..................

I have a lot of respect for someone of other side who lives their life as they say life should be lived. Ashcroft is a Christian and, within reasonable limits, acted as such. I am not a libneral, but I have a lot of respect for the way Spriongsteen lives out his world and political views in his own life. The world should have more people like those two.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JCnflies;2634229]I know a lot of our friends on the left like to disparage Ashcroft, but as much as anyone I have seen in recent politics, Ashcroft has done the honorable thing.

Looks like he made the decision because he knew it was wrong.

It might not be what the left thinks is right, but it is what he thinks is right. I'm pretty sure he once even chose not to challenge a very close election for the senate in his home state where the sitting senator died and his wife ran. Something like that..................

I have a lot of respect for someone of other side who lives their life as they say life should be lived. Ashcroft is a Christian and, within reasonable limits, acted as such. I am not a libneral, but I have a lot of respect for the way Spriongsteen lives out his world and political views in his own life. The world should have more people like those two.[/QUOTE]

yes you are correct, Ashcroft did lose his re-election to a DEAD GUY. What does that tell you when half of Missouri would rather pull the lever for a freaking DEAD GUY rather than this schmuck...

that being said (and laughed at), I respect him in this case if this is true... does not nearly come even close to making up for (non-)P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act, etc under his watch

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2634372]yes you are correct, Ashcroft did lose his re-election to a DEAD GUY. What does that tell you when half of Missouri would rather pull the lever for a freaking DEAD GUY rather than this schmuck...

that being said (and laughed at), I respect him in this case if this is true... does not nearly come even close to making up for (non-)P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act, etc under his watch[/QUOTE]

wasn't it something like the guy died in a plane crash and his wife took over for him? I knowe it sounds like how could you lose to a dead guy, but buy the same token, sympathy may have had something to do with it. I believe he was a several term sitting senator.

But nonetheless, there is little comparison between him and the 'I am bigger than the law" types.

I think the Patriot Act has to be viewe in context. If we are sitting here in 5 years and Iraq and Afghanistan are settled and the borders better protected, some provisions should be removed. It can be argued that, like the concentration camps under FDR in WWII or some of Lilncoln's moves, extreme times call for extreme measures.

Please note that I did not say I always agreed, just that it can be argued and there is history among Presidents with great legacies.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hahahaha a freaking dead guy... I love it. It never gets old

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    what's interesting is that when it came to approving torture, and stonewalling congressional hearings into their half-assed efforts before 9/11, or denying criminal investigations into progressive Senators' deaths, Ashcroft was their guy -- a "loyal soldier"....

then, when he's suddenly "principled" about wire tapping and political firings of US attorneys in the middle of the term, he's shown the door...

the Bush Administration craps on competence, and only rewards loyalty to their diabolical goals.... that's been made clear.