Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Faster, Washington! Drill, drill!

Faster, Washington! Drill, drill!

I usually don't just copy-paste an op-ed piece, but I thought this one was worth it.

[QUOTE=Denver Post OpED]
    Faster, Washington! Drill, drill!

By David Harsanyi
    Article Last Updated: 07/17/2008 10:55:43 PM MDT

One day Americans are moaning about the harmful impact of cheap oil and the next they're grousing about the harmful impact of expensive oil.

Which one is it?

As a disreputable sort, I freely confess to having a fondness for oil. Actually, I have a mild crush on all carbon-emitting fuels that feed our prosperity. But I'm especially fond of cheap oil. For many years, those who spread apocalyptic global-warming scenarios have warned me that a collective national sacrifice was needed to save the world.

One option, we were told, was to make gas artificially expensive, forcing our ignorant, energy-gobbling neighbors to alter their destructive habits.

Well, here we are. At $4 a gallon for gas, we already have a flailing economy. Isn't it glorious? And isn't it exactly what many environmentalists desired?

The problem is that there is no feasible "alternative" fuel that can haul food from farms to cities, produce affordable electricity for your plasma TV and drive your kids to school. Not yet. It can happen, of course, but only (to pinch a word from enlightened grocery shoppers) organically.

The problem is that when "green" fantasies crash onto the shores of economic reality (as they did with corn-based ethanol), we all suffer.

Don't worry, though, congressional Democrats have a bold plan. Hold on for 10 or 15 years and they'll have a bounty of energy options. They promise. But no oil shale. No clean coal. No nuclear power. And definitely no more oil.

They will not enable your revolting, inefficient lifestyle. In the short-term, offshore drilling, especially, is a pie-in-the-sky fairy tale. Unlike, say, pond scum and hydrogen fuel packs.

On the bright side, it seems that reality is beginning to overtake fantasy. This week, Newt Gingrich's American Solutions for Winning the Future group delivered 1.3 million signatures to Congress, demanding that Washington allow more drilling. A recent Zogby International polls shows 74 percent of likely voters support offshore drilling in U.S. coastal waters, and 59 percent favor drilling for oil in the tundra of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

There are few issues in America that offer this kind of impressive "unity." But apparently when unity doesn't align with left-wing orthodoxy, we need more "leadership" to explain why we're wrong.

Presumptive presidential nominee Barack Obama called offshore drilling a "gimmick." According to other Democrats, prices would not be affected for five years and oil companies probably would not use the leases anyway.

If oil giants won't dig, it surely can't hurt to allow leasing. Who knows? They may.

As for waiting? Well, rest assured an increase in domestic oil supply will involve a lot less waiting than the emergence of switchgrass as a viable alternative.

More importantly, oil is a traded commodity and, as everyone knows, the price can fluctuate for a number of reasons beyond supply.

Take President Bush's ceremonial lifting of the moratorium on offshore drilling this week. By happenstance, I guess, within the next three days the price of oil per barrel had fallen more than $15 the largest such drop in five years.

So why can't Americans look forward to more domestic oil? Well, because carbon is bad for you. Because countless Democrats believe that high prices will help wean us off this terrible addiction.

For many, environmental concerns outweigh the economic well-being of citizens. For some, the migratory paths of caribou trump your selfish habit of heating and cooling your home.

No, drilling isn't "the answer." Yet, the potential positives from increasing domestic supply outweigh any concerns of the opposition. Certainly any they can talk about in public.
    [/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    why is it "worth" it?

All League
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2634163]why is it "worth" it?[/QUOTE]

because it is a solution in the short term to buy us the needed time to develop alternatives in an efficient way that will not be available for 10 years or so. like it or not, we are oil dependent right now. giving us the means to produce more of our own oil will allow us some breathing room. there is none right now in the market to provide a cushion in case anything happens in the world to affect oil (iran invasion, etc).

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Zombo;2634340]because it is a solution in the short term to buy us the needed time to develop alternatives in an efficient way that will not be available for 10 years or so. like it or not, we are oil dependent right now. giving us the means to produce more of our own oil will allow us some breathing room. there is none right now in the market to provide a cushion in case anything happens in the world to affect oil (iran invasion, etc).[/QUOTE]

some "solution" :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bOug1d20c[/url]

All League
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2634361]some "solution" :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bOug1d20c[/url][/QUOTE]

i'm sorry. i'll go hug a tree now.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Zombo;2634365]i'm sorry. i'll go hug a tree now.[/QUOTE]

did you watch the video? are you telling me that billionaire oilman T. Boone Pickens is a tree-hugger? Well guess what, he's not... yes, he happens to be sane so he has that in common with us tree-huggers, but he's definitely not one of us

All League
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2634369]did you watch the video? are you telling me that billionaire oilman T. Boone Pickens is a tree-hugger? Well guess what, he's not... yes, he happens to be sane so he has that in common with us tree-huggers, but he's definitely not one of us[/QUOTE]

i was being sarcastic for daring to explain a solution you don't approve of. right over your head like the new yorker cover for so many liberals. maybe now i should go have a vegan meal. then i may have the chance to be accepted for not following the herd of people tricked into the global warming hysteria.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Zombo;2634384]i was being sarcastic for daring to explain a solution you don't approve of. right over your head like the new yorker cover for so many liberals. maybe now i should go have a vegan meal. then i may have the chance to be accepted for not following the herd of people tricked into the global warming hysteria.[/QUOTE]

do you even know the definition of solution?!? if you do, you should realize that drilling isn't a solution to this problem...

billionaire oilman T. Boone Pickens agrees with me... I guess you're smarter than both of us on this subject :rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2634396]do you even know the definition of solution?!? if you do, you should realize that drilling isn't a solution to this problem...

billionaire oilman T. Boone Pickens agrees with me... I guess you're smarter than both of us on this subject :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

yes, i do. the ultimate solution is to become independent from oil. that is a long term goal, not something that can be accomplished any time soon. we need to start putting things in place to ease things now until we can reach that point, hence the reason i called it a short term solution. it is not the solution for 20 years from now, or 30 years, but it is the best solution we have for the next 5-10 years. instead of just giving me tree hugger hippie drivel, tell me a concrete short term solution to bridge the gap to the time that we can be mostly or fully independent from oil. and please, please, don't tell me wind power. please.

[QUOTE=Zombo;2634439]yes, i do. the ultimate solution is to become independent from oil. that is a long term goal, not something that can be accomplished any time soon. we need to start putting things in place to ease things now until we can reach that point, hence the reason i called it a short term solution. it is not the solution for 20 years from now, or 30 years, but it is the best solution we have for the next 5-10 years. instead of just giving me tree hugger hippie drivel, tell me a concrete short term solution to bridge the gap to the time that we can be mostly or fully independent from oil. and please, please, don't tell me wind power. please.[/QUOTE]

There is something in place right now that is working very effectively, high prices. Amazingly we are using less oil because when prices are high we have to use it more efficiently. It doesn't take a government mandate to reduce our consumption and with prices high it wont take foolish subsidies by the government to create new energy supplies.

There is no doubt we have enormous capacity to reduce demand without drilling another barrell or coming up with any additional supplies. Without any new technology we have reduced usage by a considerable amount already. The short term solution is simple drive less, carpool, walk, ride a bike, take mass transit, reduce the amount of unnecessary trips and when you replace your auto buy something that uses less gas to go the same distance.

I believe in free markets and I'm all for drilling on our public lands and public waterways as long as the public isn't giving those rights away for stupid prices. That land belongs to the American people and we have been suckers for to long.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 07-18-2008 at 03:24 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE]More importantly, oil is a traded commodity and, as everyone knows, the price can fluctuate for a number of reasons beyond supply.

Take President Bush's ceremonial lifting of the moratorium on offshore drilling this week. By happenstance, I guess, within the next three days the price of oil per barrel had fallen more than $15 the largest such drop in five years. [/QUOTE]

Guess I'm not the only one who thinks the market takes such things into account.

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2634396]do you even know the definition of solution?!? if you do, you should realize that drilling isn't a solution to this problem...

billionaire oilman T. Boone Pickens agrees with me... I guess you're smarter than both of us on this subject :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Pickens is heavily invested into drilling for natural gas.
    There are many environmental concerns when drilling for Natural Gas.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2634609]There is something in place right now that is working very effectively, high prices. Amazingly we are using less oil because when prices are high we have to use it more efficiently. It doesn't take a government mandate to reduce our consumption and with prices high it wont take foolish subsidies by the government to create new energy supplies.

There is no doubt we have enormous capacity to reduce demand without drilling another barrell or coming up with any additional supplies. Without any new technology we have reduced usage by a considerable amount already. The short term solution is simple drive less, carpool, walk, ride a bike, take mass transit, reduce the amount of unnecessary trips and when you replace your auto buy something that uses less gas to go the same distance.

I believe in free markets and I'm all for drilling on our public lands and public waterways as long as the public isn't giving those rights away for stupid prices. That land belongs to the American people and we have been suckers for to long.[/QUOTE]

I agree :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Zombo;2634439]yes, i do. the ultimate solution is to become independent from oil. that is a long term goal, not something that can be accomplished any time soon. we need to start putting things in place to ease things now until we can reach that point, hence the reason i called it a short term solution. it is not the solution for 20 years from now, or 30 years, but it is the best solution we have for the next 5-10 years. instead of just giving me tree hugger hippie drivel, tell me a concrete short term solution to bridge the gap to the time that we can be mostly or fully independent from oil. and please, please, don't tell me wind power. please.[/QUOTE]

[b]uber-Liberal Robert Novak[/b] on the subject of drilling:

[url]http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=27570#continueA[/url]

[b]"In contrast, the Republicans' three pronged energy solution is this: drill, drill, drill. While this solution is popular in the polls and among GOP constituents, it does not offer short term relief."

"GOP leaders are comfortable pounding away on energy, but success is unlikely, considering they couldn't expand drilling while in the majority. "[/b]

I've said my piece on this many a time, so feel free to do a search on my username if you care to hear some real solutions

Practice Squad
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL by way of Brentwood, New York.
    [QUOTE=Zombo;2634340]because it is a solution in the short term to buy us the needed time to develop alternatives in an efficient way that will not be available for 10 years or so. like it or not, we are oil dependent right now. giving us the means to produce more of our own oil will allow us some breathing room. there is none right now in the market to provide a cushion in case anything happens in the world to affect oil (iran invasion, etc).[/QUOTE]your saying drilling for oil offshore and in Alaska will buy us about ten yrs to develope other fuel sources , but if even the oil companys say that it will take atleast ten yrs for us to see any relief at the the pump than what's the point!

Whats the big deal? All I hear from people is how this won't reduce prices, so if thats the case lets keep giving our money to the mideast.. alright?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Carthage;2634673]Whats the big deal? All I hear from people is how this won't reduce prices, so if thats the case lets keep giving our money to the mideast.. alright?[/QUOTE]

most of it goes to Canada actually, and we're (that half of me anyways), are glad to accept it, especially at these prices...

but the "big deal" is the continued burning of fossil fuels for transportation and the environmental damage it causes

All League
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2634609]There is something in place right now that is working very effectively, high prices. Amazingly we are using less oil because when prices are high we have to use it more efficiently. It doesn't take a government mandate to reduce our consumption and with prices high it wont take foolish subsidies by the government to create new energy supplies.

I believe in free markets and I'm all for drilling on our public lands and public waterways as long as the public isn't giving those rights away for stupid prices. That land belongs to the American people and we have been suckers for to long.[/QUOTE]

the problem is that speculation and very bad federal reserve actions in the past 2-3 years have hurt the price of oil more than supply and demand have.

All League
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2634633][b]uber-Liberal Robert Novak[/b] on the subject of drilling:

[url]http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=27570#continueA[/url]

[b]"In contrast, the Republicans' three pronged energy solution is this: drill, drill, drill. While this solution is popular in the polls and among GOP constituents, it does not offer short term relief."

"GOP leaders are comfortable pounding away on energy, but success is unlikely, considering they couldn't expand drilling while in the majority. "[/b]

I've said my piece on this many a time, so feel free to do a search on my username if you care to hear some real solutions[/QUOTE]

oh, good. an uber liberal. now i'm convinced. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2634685]most of it goes to Canada actually, and we're (that half of me anyways), are glad to accept it, especially at these prices...

but the "big deal" is the continued burning of fossil fuels for transportation and the environmental damage it causes[/QUOTE]

Earth's temperature has been fluctuating for millions of years....

(I'm assuming you are referring to global warming in your post)