Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: More Manny

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,543
    Post Thanks / Like

    More Manny

    Wow. The Sox think Manny took those 3 pitches from Mariano in that pinch hit at bat to protest:

    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._manny_fi.html

    Tell me again how he's a team player? This guy shoulda been benched for a week if they believe that. And I have to believe knowing how Francona is that he would like to, but someone upstairs won't let him.

    God, I would love to have seen Billy Martin manage this guy.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, if he does go free agent, expect the Mets to be players for him. Minaya would be drooling.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    So he can block Fernando Martinez? Manny is my favorite non met of all time but he's 36 now, not 32. We need a youth movement and I'll be happy with a Fernando Beltran Church outfield next year.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    So he can block Fernando Martinez? Manny is my favorite non met of all time but he's 36 now, not 32. We need a youth movement and I'll be happy with a Fernando Beltran Church outfield next year.
    1) Manny would give Beltran and Wright the protection they need in that lineup.
    2) He'd be a nice new splash and attraction for the new stadium
    3) Huuuuuuge draw in the large Dominican community in NY. And we all know how Omar feels about that.
    4) At 36, he's still a much better run producer than anyone currently on the Mets.

    All that said, he's still a douche

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    1) Manny would give Beltran and Wright the protection they need in that lineup.
    2) He'd be a nice new splash and attraction for the new stadium
    3) Huuuuuuge draw in the large Dominican community in NY. And we all know how Omar feels about that.
    4) At 36, he's still a much better run producer than anyone currently on the Mets.

    All that said, he's still a douche
    Manny isn't a douche at all, just different.

    Huge draw? Though Citi is going to be so damn expensive, it will be sold out every night. He'd be a great righty bat but is it worth 20M a year for a guy who is going to be 37 next season and has become a little injury prone? If you asked me Manny for 3 years 60M or Teix 5 years 100M, I'd go with Teix. His production, though way above league average is going to decline at some point.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,180
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Manny isn't a douche at all, just different.
    Huge draw? Though Citi is going to be so damn expensive, it will be sold out every night. He'd be a great righty bat but is it worth 20M a year for a guy who is going to be 37 next season and has become a little injury prone? If you asked me Manny for 3 years 60M or Teix 5 years 100M, I'd go with Teix. His production, though way above league average is going to decline at some point.

    Please tell me that's sarcasm. Yeah, he pushed a 62 year old man to the ground b/c he's "different"

  7. #7
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just Manny being Manny!

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Minaya would be all over him.

  9. #9
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    So he can block Fernando Martinez? Manny is my favorite non met of all time but he's 36 now, not 32. We need a youth movement and I'll be happy with a Fernando Beltran Church outfield next year.
    Wow, Manny is 36 already?

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,006
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Wow, Manny is 36 already?
    And he can't be off the Sox soon enough.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    I vote yes to Manny being a douche.

    And I don't know if Manny to the Mets would be a smart move for them. I think he's starting to decline health wise and playing in the NL won't allow him to DH if he needs a day off. I think a 3 year deal could start to burn them in the 3rd, maybe even 2nd year of the deal. Oh yea, and he's a douche.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,421
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would LOVE IT if he ended up on the Yankees. There are players on the Red Sox I hate for being douches, but I hate Manny because I respect his ability.

    To me, he'd be worth the headache.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,421
    Post Thanks / Like
    And yeah the Mets and Yankees would both be lucky to have Manny in the line up.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,006
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by METER View Post
    I would LOVE IT if he ended up on the Yankees. There are players on the Red Sox I hate for being douches, but I hate Manny because I respect his ability.

    To me, he'd be worth the headache.
    Not here.

    Manny and Paps are the Sox I hate for being douches (Youk too, but mainly because of his goatee). Papi is the Sock I would welcome on the Yankees. First ever problem I had with him was his spotlight steal at the derby, which is very minor. Granted though with the injuries, probably wouldn't take him.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Not here.

    Manny and Paps are the Sox I hate for being douches (Youk too, but mainly because of his goatee). Papi is the Sock I would welcome on the Yankees. First ever problem I had with him was his spotlight steal at the derby, which is very minor. Granted though with the injuries, probably wouldn't take him.
    Agreed. I could never accept Manny as a Yankee. I still haven't fully accepted Damon and I would have a much tougher time with Manny.

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    (Youk too, but mainly because of his goatee).
    You seriously hate a guy cuz of his beard?

    What if it was a 'stache?

  17. #17
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh you silly boys still don't get Manny.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering what it would take to get Manny, I would not be in favor of it. Its his second straight down year (Well, for Manny at least) indicating he's likely on the decline, he's 36 years old and would likely command something like 3/50 in the open market at least.

    If the choices are that or overspending for Teixeira, Teixeira is a Met if I have any pull. Just because I trust his ability to hold up for 7 years alot more then Manny's ability to hold up for another 3. Plus, at least you know you'll get some great Defense out of it.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,006
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    You seriously hate a guy cuz of his beard?

    What if it was a 'stache?
    Well I don't actually 'hate' the guy, but the obnoxious goatee that's as big as my head ticks me off a bit.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,421
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Not here.

    Manny and Paps are the Sox I hate for being douches (Youk too, but mainly because of his goatee). Papi is the Sock I would welcome on the Yankees. First ever problem I had with him was his spotlight steal at the derby, which is very minor. Granted though with the injuries, probably wouldn't take him.
    Remeber Ortiz in Minnesota? He sucked, he came to Boston because he hits in front of Manny. That dude is his meal ticket. Why do you think JD Drew is having such a good year, Ortiz is out and he's hitting 3rd in front of Manny.

    I'd take Manny on my team in a heartbeat regardless of him being a Red Sock or not.

    I also remember when he was on Cleveland and he used to CRUSH NY. Why wouldn't you want his bat on your team?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us