Thread: Iranian Justice

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Iranian Justice

[QUOTE=FOXNews.com][B][U]Activists: 9 Iranians Convicted of Adultery Set to Be Stoned to Death[/U][/B]

TEHRAN, Iran Eight women and one man convicted of adultery are set to be stoned to death in Iran, activists said Sunday.

Lawyer and women's rights activist, Shadi Sadr, said the nine were convicted of adultery in separate cases in different Iranian cities.

"Their verdicts are approved, and they may be executed at any time," she told reporters.

Sadr, who has been leading a campaign in Iran against stoning deaths since 2006, said trial protocol was not applied properly in the cases. Six of the nine were convicted based solely on judges' decisions with no witnesses or the presence of their lawyers during their confessions, she said.

Most of the nine come from areas of Iran that have low rates of literacy and some did not understand the cases against them, she said.

One of Sadr's colleagues, Mohammad Mostafai, said his client, Malak Qorbani, had plead guilty to adultery even though she did not know the meaning of the charge.

The nine are between 27 and 50 years old, among them a male music teacher who was convicted of adultery for having an affair with one of his students, the activists said.

"We are trying to stop the implementation of their verdicts. And secondly, we want to amend the country's penal law, in which death by stoning is prescribed," Sadr said.

Calls to judiciary officials were not immediately returned on Sunday.

Under Iran's Islamic laws, adultery in the only capital offense punishable by stoning. Other capital offenses in Iran include murder, rape, armed robbery, apostasy, blasphemy, drug trafficking, prostitution, treason and espionage.

The punishment is also applied in some other countries such as Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Sudan and Nigeria.

A man is usually buried up to his waist, while a woman is buried up to her neck. Those carrying out the verdict then throw stones until the condemned dies.

Stoning was widely imposed in the early years after Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution that toppled the pro-Western Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and brought hard-line clerics to power. But in recent years, it has seldom been applied, though the government rarely confirms when it carries out stoning sentences. The last stoning death confirmed by the government was in July 2007.

In the recent years, reformist legislators demanded an end to death by stoning as a punishment for adultery, but opposition from hard-line clerics sidelined their efforts.

Along with adultery, [B][U]other capital offenses in Iran include[/U][/B] murder, rape, armed robbery, apostasy, [B][U]blasphemy[/U][/B], drug trafficking, prostitution, treason and espionage.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it funny, how in the Religion of Peace, it's almost always the WOMEN who get stoned to death for "adultery".

I wonder, do you think Martha Burke and other pro-women groups will put out a statement on this? Or do you think they're too busy getting their next Country Club protest organized?:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2637916]Isn't it funny, how in the Religion of Peace, it's almost always the WOMEN who get stoned to death for "adultery".

I wonder, do you think Martha Burke and other pro-women groups will put out a statement on this? Or do you think they're too busy getting their next Country Club protest organized?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and let an orthodox jewish woman try to get a divorce in Israel if her husband refuses.

And don't forget all those evangelical Christians who believe that the man rules the household and that women should serve and obey.

What you're complaining about is traditional religious practices of all stripes. Women usually do not have equal rights in such cultures.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    why did the US finance these extremists to power?
    This is where intervention gets us
    We will make similar mistakes if we keep meddling in the affairs of other countries while ignoring our problems at home

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2637972]Yeah, and let an orthodox jewish woman try to get a divorce in Israel if her husband refuses.

And don't forget all those evangelical Christians who believe that the man rules the household and that women should serve and obey.

What you're complaining about is traditional religious practices of all stripes. Women usually do not have equal rights in such cultures.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I didn't notice where I expressed support for any of the things you mention.

But I guess it's easier (for some) to rationalize such things rather than simply express their outrage. Unless, of course, such things do not outrage them....

And really, are you REALLY trying to claim equallity between a Evangelical Households choice of "who wears the pants" to Iranian stonings? The difference is, of course, that in the U.S. that evangelical women can get divorced if she chooses with no harm done to her by the State (in fact, the state will liekly grant her custody of any kids, and a portion of her husbands earnings).

In Iran, the State Sponsors the murder of people (mostly women) for adultery, or better yet, blashpmey! Thank God we have to call them the Religion of Peace though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;2637975]why did the US finance these extremists to power?
    This is where intervention gets us
    We will make similar mistakes if we keep meddling in the affairs of other countries while ignoring our problems at home[/QUOTE]

What the heck are you talking about? The WORST president ever jimmy farter's ineptitude put that scum in power not U.S. finance.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=acepepe;2637996]What the heck are you talking about? The [b]WORST president ever[/b] jimmy farter's ineptitude put that scum in power not U.S. finance.[/QUOTE]

The Emperor changed his name to Jimmy Farter?!? So does this now confirm he's back on the booze backwagon or what? I was expecting something more like McDubyah ala Superbad from him... but Jimmy Farter?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2637972]Yeah, and let an orthodox jewish woman try to get a divorce in Israel if her husband refuses.

What you're complaining about is traditional religious practices of all stripes. Women usually do not have equal rights in such cultures.[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2637988]Funny, I didn't notice where I expressed support for any of the things you mention.

But I guess it's easier (for some) to rationalize such things rather than simply express their outrage. Unless, of course, such things do not outrage them....

And really, are you REALLY trying to claim equallity between a Evangelical Households choice of "who wears the pants" to Iranian stonings? The difference is, of course, that in the U.S. that evangelical women can get divorced if she chooses with no harm done to her by the State (in fact, the state will liekly grant her custody of any kids, and a portion of her husbands earnings).

In Iran, the State Sponsors the murder of people (mostly women) for adultery, or better yet, blashpmey! Thank God we have to call them the Religion of Peace though.[/QUOTE]

No I wasn't equating these behaviors at all. Merely pointing out that when you let religion rule a society, especially traditional forms of religious practice, the outcomes are usually to the detriment of women. I think the practices you describe are heinous. No better than the Pakistani Muslims who will set their own daughters on fire for marrying out of the faith and dishonoring their family and them claim it was a suicide... some sick stuff going on out there. We won't even get into clitorectomies and the like...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=acepepe;2637996]What the heck are you talking about? The WORST president ever jimmy farter's ineptitude put that scum in power not U.S. finance.[/QUOTE]

Actually it was the Dulles Bros in 1953 that put extremists in power in Iran and began meddling. Before that they were well on their way to modernization

20 years earlier the Dulles Bros had financed Hitler.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2638056]No I wasn't equating these behaviors at all. [B][U]Merely pointing out that when you let religion rule a society, especially traditional forms of religious practice, the outcomes are usually to the detriment of women.[/U][/B][/QUOTE]

With all due respect LIL....who did you think you were replying to?:P

I mean, it's not like I don't have a multi-year run of being the "Anti-Religion" poster in here or anything. Really, I am sure I needed to be reminded that Faith is often quite twisted and evil.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2638056]I think the practices you describe are heinous.[/QUOTE]

There we go! Now we can agree.:yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

You're equating crushing a woman's skull with multiple boulders (publicly, as spectacle I might add) to the other stuff?

Yeah, ok.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2637972]

No. What he was commenting on was how it seems to him that women are stoned to death for adultery in Islamic countries, rather than men.

Because of you have an ingrained agenda, you equate such horrors with evangelical Christianity in the US. This agenda will keep you as blind as a bat as long as you cling to it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2638056]We won't even get into clitorectomies and the like...[/QUOTE]
    Thanking you...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why are men only buried to the waist and woman to the neck?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2638078]With all due respect LIL....who did you think you were replying to?:P

I mean, it's not like I don't have a multi-year run of being the "Anti-Religion" poster in here or anything. Really, I am sure I needed to be reminded that Faith is often quite twisted and evil.

There we go! Now we can agree.:yes:[/QUOTE]

I wasn't trying to argue with you but to simply not be quite so black and white re religious bigotry, intolerance, and primitivism. You've got versions of that in every major religion. We are very fortunate indeed to have a constitutional wall of separation between church and state.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2638120]You're equating crushing a woman's skull with multiple boulders (publicly, as spectacle I might add) to the other stuff?

Yeah, ok.[/QUOTE]

No, I wasn't trying to do that, as I said. Combine a traditional religious state with a monarchy or dictatorship and you get some pretty ugly practices. The Spanish Inquisition, anyone? Or you see it on a smaller scale with communities like the Texas cult with those covered-wagon chicks and sex with minors. Islam has some pretty harsh penalties for violation of the law, as we all know. What we have difficulty with is perceiving adultery as on a par with rape, or murder. I personally don't consider adultery a crime, but the breaking of a civil vow between two people. So I'm not trying to defend something that I find ridiculously primitive. But on the other hand, we have plenty of posters here who would relish the idea of a rapist getting his genitals wacked off, or a murderer getting the gas chamber, or hanging. Where we differ with Islamic societies is in our judgment of what deserves such severe measures. It doesn't compute in our modern, secular society.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2638219]The Spanish Inquisition, anyone? Or you see it on a smaller scale with communities like the Texas cult with those covered-wagon chicks and sex with minors.[/QUOTE]
    You are not Evel Knieval; this logical leap falls way short.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about China's death buses or Saudi Arabia beheadings? Oh, that's right we need them.