Thread: Yankees Eyeing A.J. Burnett...

Yankees Eyeing A.J. Burnett...

By Tim Dierkes [July 21 at 10:29am CST]

Back on July 10th, ESPN's Jayson Stark said it was "dubious that Toronto would even talk to [the Yankees] about A.J. Burnett." Presumably this is because the Yankees and Jays are division rivals. It should be noted, though, that J.P. Ricciardi and Brian Cashman matched up on a July '02 trade that sent Raul Mondesi to New York for prospect Scott Wiggins.

Yesterday, CBSSports.com's Danny Knobler wrote:

Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi told Toronto reporters that he now doesn't expect to trade A.J. Burnett. But Burnett's Friday night start at Tampa Bay attracted more than a dozen scouts, including two from the Yankees. Several of the scouts in attendance didn't stay for the rest of the weekend series, a clear indication that they were in town strictly to watch Burnett.

So while we have nothing concrete, there are signs that the Yankees are looking at Burnett. The Cubs reportedly had a guy watching him, too. He and Justin Duchscherer are the two best remaining starters who could conceivably be pried loose via trade.
    Heres the deal with this guy...

Burnett is owed 22 million for the next 2 seasons but he has the ability to opt out of his contract at the end of this season and if he does Toronto gets nothing...Its highly unlikely the Jays would help out a division rival like the Yankees without trying to rape our farm system...No matter who shows interest in Burnett Toronto will demand a top prospect and some more...

Burnetts numbers this season are terrible because he's been unable to throw his breaking ball effectively thanks to a hand injury he suffered prior to the season kicking off which caused him to lose his finger nails...He's been basically pitching all season long with one pitch but in his last outing against the Yankees and against the Rays he started to mix in his breaking ball...He said he's finally got a good feel for the pitch and needless to say he looks like he's back to form...

I don't think the Yankees have a realistic shot at getting this guy but it would be a great pickup if Cashman could somehow pull it off without giving up too much...Make no mistake Burnett has that lights out stuff, he's just always hurt...That said I wouldn't mind giving up Kennedy and Olendorf if you can get Burnett to not opt out...Its a big risk but one with a potential very high reward...

Interesting.. but doubt anything happens

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Interesting.. but doubt anything happens
    I really think they go chase down a bat before they get another pitcher, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    I really think they go chase down a bat before they get another pitcher, no?
    I dunno about that, we can't expect Moose to be this good down the stretch, and you can't expect to get a whole lot out of Ponson and Rasner. I'm not sure if we need a bat, we need the guys we have to pick it up. Of course we could use a right handed corner outfielder to give Damon days off, but Abreu needs to get his sh*t together, Jeter needs to get it together, Cano needs to continue to hit, and we need to get Damon back.

Jets Insider VIP
    I dunno about that, we can't expect Moose to be this good down the stretch, and you can't expect to get a whole lot out of Ponson and Rasner. I'm not sure if we need a bat, we need the guys we have to pick it up. Of course we could use a right handed corner outfielder to give Damon days off, but Abreu needs to get his sh*t together, Jeter needs to get it together, Cano needs to continue to hit, and we need to get Damon back.
    I think the only viable options are Nady or Bay, but it sound like Pitt is asking too much. I don't have a lot of interest in Holliday really.

I know they're still close, but I just don't see this team getting in the playoffs and doing any major damage. Might as well hold the farm or maybe look to get a young guy you can control a few years.

Mussina barring injury should be just fine...The guy has been pitching with great confidence all season long and he's on a roll...He's also hit 90 on the gun a couple of times in his last 2 outings which shows he isn't slowing down...

The Yankees could really use a power righty bat but the pitching side is a much bigger issue...Yes the pitching has been good lately but you can't depend on Rasner and Ponson to deliver...Its a crapshoot every time one of those guys takes the mound and Rasner has been figured out...He has been really getting smacked around the ballpark lately...

Burnett would be a great pickup for the Yankees because he's a guy with nasty stuff and the way he's been pitching lately he looks untouchable...I personally like Jarrod Washburn more though...He will come cheap and is a dependable middle of the rotation type of guy who can eat innings...I wouldn't mind a package deal for Ibanez and Washburn...Ibanez is another lefty bat which were stacked with but he's been killing LHP this year...
    Last edited by nyctomjetsfan; 07-21-2008 at 03:58 PM.

This guy has top 5 stuff in the game and can dominate. Inconsistent though.

But if you can get him for a guy like Ian Kennedy, it could be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolJet View Post
    This guy has top 5 stuff in the game and can dominate a game.

If you can get him for a guy like Ian Kennedy, it could be worth it.
    Only if..

A. You think a guy like Burnett would put us over the top (I don't)

B. He doesn't use his opt out clause.

He has great stuff when he's healthy.. but I don't want to give up Kennedy for a 2 month rental, especially when I don't think this is a team a chip a way from being a World Series contender.

Only if..

A. Probably not because we still need a bat.

But Joba--Burnett--Pettitte--Moose--Rasner/Ponson/Hughes, not shabby. Thats a rotation that could dominate any team in the playoffs if they all click at the right time and get hot.

Only if..

He has great stuff when he's healthy.. but I don't want to give up Kennedy for a 2 month rental, especially when I don't think this is a team a chip a way from being a World Series contender.
    agreed...if you can renegotiate burnett before the trade is official i would pull the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by KoolJet View Post
    A. Probably not because we still need a bat.

But Joba--Burnett--Pettitte--Moose--Rasner/Ponson/Hughes, not shabby. Thats a rotation that could dominate any team in the playoffs if they all click at the right time and get hot.
    Wang will likely be back before Hughes but i agree that is a nasty playoff rotation and pitching is what wins games...Once Damon gets back we'll have a big piece of the offense back...If Cano stays red hot, Abreu and Jeter start playing like themselves the Yankee offense should be fine...Let's not forget about Sexson, he can be a big contributor but its doubtful...

This isn't a championship team imo but it is one that can get hot and make a run...Look at the Giants, they weren't a championship team but they got hot at the right time and ended up winning the Superbowl...

Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    Wang will likely be back before Hughes but i agree that is a nasty playoff rotation and pitching is what wins games...Once Damon gets back we'll have a big piece of the offense back...If Cano stays red hot, Abreu and Jeter start playing like themselves the Yankee offense should be fine...Let's not forget about Sexson, he can be a big contributor but its doubtful...

This isn't a championship team imo but it is one that can get hot and make a run...Look at the Giants, they weren't a championship team but they got hot at the right time and ended up winning the Superbowl...
    Exactly.

There is no great team this year. The Yankees have as good as chance as anybody if they can add a pitcher to the rotation with Burnett's ability.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post

The Giants and Yanks don't have much in common. It's not like if the Yanks get to the Series, they can count on karma coming down hard on the Cubs for cheating.

The Giants and Yanks don't have much in common. It's not like if the Yanks get to the Series, they can count on karma coming down hard on the Cubs for cheating.
    Yankees would also have to win 11 games in the post season, not including all the games they have to win down the stretch to make it in.

Not going to happen... And I do think we need another bat more than a pitcher right now.

Yea its a different sport and the Yankees have to win more games but a winning streak is a winning streak man...

I might be wrong but aren't the Cubs cursed?

Something about a Greek guy and his Billy goat?

That my friend is much better than karma...

Veteran
    If hes just going to opt out at the end of the year then there no reason to trade a young prospect for a rent a player. UNLESS u get him to sign a new deal that he cant walk away then i wouldn't do it. Plus this guy is always hurt