Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girardi's managing of the bullpen

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Girardi's managing of the bullpen

I've been critical in regards to some of Joe's in game management decisions, but his managing of the bullpen must be applauded.

Check this out. I stole some of thesee nuggets from NYYFans.com

There are no Yankee relievers among the top 15 in the A.L. in appearances. How did he manage that with our rotation?

Pitches, Appearances - Last 30 days:
    David Robertson - 237, 11 (includes 2 AAA appearances)
    Edwar Ramirez - 207, 12
    Mariano Rivera - 194, 9 (includes All-Star Game)
    Jose Veras - 187, 11
    Dan Giese - 162, 5
    LaTroy Hawkins - 162, 7
    Kyle Farnsworth - 143, 10

It seemed like every year prior to this, Mariano and Proctor and Gordon and even as far back as Steve Karsay, Paul Quantrill and Tanyon Sturtze would always be among the leaders in appearances. The guys behind them would get hit because they weren't getting used enough. It was a vicious cycle. Thankfully, Mo still has an arm. You see what's happened to all the rest.

Accolades to Griardi and Dave Eiland for this great turnaround in philosophy.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-22-2008 at 03:42 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely. This has been his best attribute to the team since he got the job. This will start to pay dividends once the season starts winding down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bullpen management is definitely one of Girardi's strong points.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, why is Hawkins still on this team?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Somebody has to mop up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling he won't be when Bruney is ready to come back.

And yeah, he's been as good as it gets with the pen. There's a couple other areas that have frustrated me, and the fact that he defended Meachem, or at least what he said in Meachem's defense, pissed me off, but all in all, I've liked what I've seen from him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    Somebody has to mop up.
    Let Giese do that. I don't want to see this guy pitch.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I have a feeling he won't be when Bruney is ready to come back.

And yeah, he's been as good as it gets with the pen. There's a couple other areas that have frustrated me, and the fact that he defended Meachem, or at least what he said in Meachem's defense, pissed me off, but all in all, I've liked what I've seen from him.
    I forgot about Bruney. That could quietly be a very nice addition to our already strong bullpen. That is of course if he's healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post Tyler. IMO I think his fantastic management of the bullpen puts us in a great position to try and make this 2nd half run. Our run production hasn't been the best but we're winning these 1 run/2 run games on a regular basis. With a healthy/fresh bullpen we can keep that type of production up. By August Torre had the pen totally spent but we were putting up 6 or 7 spots every night.

Bruney will be another good addition to the pen... just imagine that pen, we could potentially become a 6 inning team. And how about Ponson? His ERA is about league average and is giving us a chance to win when he pitches. Not what I expected but hey, if he can ride this out then I'm all for it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Let Giese do that. I don't want to see this guy pitch.
    Who is worse Giese or Rasner?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would drop hawkins off the roster, and bring up another bench player from AAA, even if it's just someone to run.

But yeah, Girardi has done a very good job of spreading the load. With Torre, if he didn't trust you, you didn't throw much. And pretty much every year he burned out someone's arm.

There is no way Torre brings along this many young arms. And to think, everyone was worried about the Yankee bullpen after Joba left. Seems like it's doing OK to me. Just needs 1 quality left arm in there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I would drop hawkins off the roster, and bring up another bench player from AAA, even if it's just someone to run.

But yeah, Girardi has done a very good job of spreading the load. With Torre, if he didn't trust you, you didn't throw much. And pretty much every year he burned out someone's arm.

There is no way Torre brings along this many young arms. And to think, everyone was worried about the Yankee bullpen after Joba left. Seems like it's doing OK to me. Just needs 1 quality left arm in there.
    And IMO we're getting that quality arm in Bruney. Stick Ramirez and Robertson bring such a nice balance to Farnsworth/Bruney/Veras power arms. Robertson has looked pretty good as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    Nice post Tyler. IMO I think his fantastic management of the bullpen puts us in a great position to try and make this 2nd half run. Our run production hasn't been the best but we're winning these 1 run/2 run games on a regular basis. With a healthy/fresh bullpen we can keep that type of production up. By August Torre had the pen totally spent but we were putting up 6 or 7 spots every night.

Bruney will be another good addition to the pen... just imagine that pen, we could potentially become a 6 inning team. And how about Ponson? His ERA is about league average and is giving us a chance to win when he pitches. Not what I expected but hey, if he can ride this out then I'm all for it.

Really, what more do you want out of a #5 then a guy who can pitch some innings and keep you in a ballgame. If your #5 is 500 or slightly better, that's a big plus.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    And IMO we're getting that quality arm in Bruney. Stick Ramirez and Robertson bring such a nice balance to Farnsworth/Bruney/Veras power arms. Robertson has looked pretty good as well.
    Is Bruney a lefty? Did I just miss that (sometimes, I'm not too bright anymore).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Is Bruney a lefty? Did I just miss that (sometimes, I'm not too bright anymore).
    My bad, I missed that "left" thing you wrote in there. We could use a lefty, but we've managed ok until now. I fail at reading.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bullpenn has been lights out the past 10 games. Ramirez and Farnsworth are taking care of business. It has become one of the best bullpenns in the league. If they can just add Fuentes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heineken08 View Post
    The bullpenn has been lights out the past 10 games. Ramirez and Farnsworth are taking care of business. It has become one of the best bullpenns in the league. If they can just add Fuentes.
    Considering how good the pen is right now, I don't see Fuentes as someone that is at all worth the cost. He simply would not really improve the team all that much because that part of the team is so great anyways.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if it's not Fuentes. I think they should definetly find a lefty pitcher. They have none right now and I think it will effect the Penn down the road.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kudos, Sean. I know you're not a big fan, but this definitely is a nice change from the Torre days that needs to be recognized.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It does also help to rest the bullpen when you have starters consistently giving you 6-7 innings. That's where a big part of CMW's value comes in. He can throw 7 or 8 innings a good percentage of his starts, which takes the load off the bullpen.

That's also part of why I like CC Sabathia so much. He may be fat, but he eats innings like they came from McDonalds in a happy Meal.