Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

Thread: Yankees "seriously" discussing trading for Jarrod Washburn

  1. #1

    Yankees "seriously" discussing trading for Jarrod Washburn

    All from Buster Olney's chat today:

    http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21611

    Sal (Connecticut): Hey Buster, why all the hate on the Yankees staff and bullpen when they have been very good especially the bullpen which has been exceptional and the Yankees have only lost 1 game when handing the ball over to the bullpen with a lead after 6 innings. 1!

    SportsNation Buster Olney: (1:13 PM ET ) Sal: I have no idea what you are talking about. I haven't been critical of the Yankees' staff lately; it's the offense that I've been critical of. BTW: The Yankees are taking a look at Jarrod Washburn, who has a career ERA of 2.82 ERA in Yankee Stadium. He'd fit them perfectly, for 2008 and 2009 -- he had a sub-3.00 ERA in June and has similar numbers in July. We'll see what happens.

    JR (NY): Who would the Yanks have to give up to get a guy like Washburn?

    SportsNation Buster Olney: (1:22 PM ET ) JR: Kei Igawa, and another secondary prospect. They're taking on a lot of money (about $13-14 million), so they won't have to give up much.

    Jacob (Brooklyn): Do you really think Washburn is a good fit with the Yankees because he has a good ERA in 38.1 innings at Yankee Stadium?

    SportsNation Buster Olney: (1:26 PM ET ) Jacob: I think it's a factor they will look at -- he's a lefty flyball pitcher who changes speeds well and has a nice post-season history. To me, he's a perfect fit for them, the way that George Sherrill makes complete sense for the Brewers or the Angels.

    John (NY): Why all the Washburn rumors? Where is this originating from?

    SportsNation Buster Olney: (1:27 PM ET ) John: It should be on our site. I filed something an hour ago (but haven't checked) on it. It is being discussed seriously by the Yankees.

  2. #2
    Imagine if No Kei became a stud.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    For Igawa and a Secondary, why not?

    What secondary though?

  4. #4
    He's a good middle to back end guy. Perhaps bring him in to patch what may become the "Kennedy" hole? If Andy and Moose move on next year we may be in worse shape then we may think. We would be asking Hughes and Kennedy to become studs which we asked for this year and well, we saw how that worked out. I think he has resonable #'s.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    For Igawa and a Secondary, why not?

    What secondary though?
    It would be a salary dump so nobody that would matter.

    Here's my concern: How much better is he than Ponson and/or Rasner? He's due $10M next year, and I don't know if the upgrade over Ponson/Rasner is worth wasting $10M on him next year (or I guess like $6M because we'd be getting rid of Igawa's $4M).

    This year Washburn has a K/9 of 5.32, a K/BB of 2.03, and a G/F of .97.

    Rasner has a K/9 of 6.18, a K/BB of 2.56, and a G/F of .92. And Ponson has a K/9 of 4.14, a K/BB of 1.33, and a G/F of 2.39. I just don't think he's much of an upgrade over either guy.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    He's a good middle to back end guy. Perhaps bring him in to patch what may become the "Kennedy" hole? If Andy and Moose move on next year we may be in worse shape then we may think. We would be asking Hughes and Kennedy to become studs which we asked for this year and well, we saw how that worked out. I think he has resonable #'s.
    If Andy and Moose leave, we'd get Sabathia or Sheets. Personally, I think the Yankees should just keep both of them on 1 year deals. If Moose wants to get a 2 year deal somewhere, then take the draft picks. I'm sure Andy would gladly take a 1 year deal again. And there's not a chance in hell I want Washburn penciled in the rotation to start the next year.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    If Andy and Moose leave, we'd get Sabathia or Sheets. Personally, I think the Yankees should just keep both of them on 1 year deals. If Moose wants to get a 2 year deal somewhere, then take the draft picks. I'm sure Andy would gladly take a 1 year deal again. And there's not a chance in hell I want Washburn penciled in the rotation to start the next year.
    You're right, I completely "misremembered" that Sabathia is a free-agent at the end of the year. I think Andy will be as you said, the same as last year and will mull over the 1 year contract or retire. Moose I could see losing considering how stubborn he can be he will probably want more years and money then we should give him. As great as he's done I still feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with him. I do prefer Sabathia over Sheets to be honest, but one of them would be a welcome addition. Considering how much money we SHOULD be dumping in the off-season we should go after one of these guys. As for Washburn with the money he's owed it might not be worth it, I still think he'd be there to hold the rotation together at the back. Ponson has not been bad when he's been, well, sane. I'm not totally for the move, but I could see why they would get him.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,565
    Kei Igawa for anything? Do it.

    btw, Washburn would be an upgrade over Rasner, but that may not be the only goal. The possibilty of putting him as your lefty in the bullpen exists also if this trade happens. And then you don't need to give up a lot in a Fuentes-type deal.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    You're right, I completely "misremembered" that Sabathia is a free-agent at the end of the year. I think Andy will be as you said, the same as last year and will mull over the 1 year contract or retire. Moose I could see losing considering how stubborn he can be he will probably want more years and money then we should give him. As great as he's done I still feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with him. I do prefer Sabathia over Sheets to be honest, but one of them would be a welcome addition. Considering how much money we SHOULD be dumping in the off-season we should go after one of these guys. As for Washburn with the money he's owed it might not be worth it, I still think he'd be there to hold the rotation together at the back. Ponson has not been bad when he's been, well, sane. I'm not totally for the move, but I could see why they would get him.
    I could be wrong, but I think Moose wants to stay with the Yankees. Plus, there's no doubt he doesn't want to move and does want to stay on the East Coast.

    The reason I am a believer in Moose is because he really isn't doing this with smoke and mirrors or with stuff that you think would go away next year. He's doing this with an 86-88 MPH fastball, great secondary stuff, and, most importantly, incredibly good control. There's no reason he'll lose his control next year, and I love that he has a K/BB of 4.63. There's no reason to think he can't do this for at least another year, if not a few.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think Moose wants to stay with the Yankees. Plus, there's no doubt he doesn't want to move and does want to stay on the East Coast.

    The reason I am a believer in Moose is because he really isn't doing this with smoke and mirrors or with stuff that you think would go away next year. He's doing this with an 86-88 MPH fastball, great secondary stuff, and, most importantly, incredibly good control. There's no reason he'll lose his control next year, and I love that he has a K/BB of 4.63. There's no reason to think he can't do this for at least another year, if not a few.
    I guess it's just the age thing scares the crap out of me. But for me and for about 5 years now Moose has been my favorite pitcher on our staff. Last year scared me and I guess it's something I can't fully put behind me when I watch him. It all really depends on what the Yankees offer him, IMO as a fan I'd like to see a one year contract with an option the next year. Pencil in Moose as our #3 guy, Pick up Sabathia and use your money to make sure he signs with us, and then you have an option of Ponson, Rasner, Washburn (if we make a trade) Hughes, Kennedy,or Andy to fill out the rotation. Just the Idea of the rotation sounds nice to me.

    Sabathia
    Wang
    Joba
    Moose
    TBD

    Looks nice to me.

  11. #11
    How about:

    Wang
    Joba
    Pettitte
    Moose
    5th starter until Hughes is ready.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Kei Igawa for anything? Do it.

    btw, Washburn would be an upgrade over Rasner, but that may not be the only goal. The possibilty of putting him as your lefty in the bullpen exists also if this trade happens. And then you don't need to give up a lot in a Fuentes-type deal.

    So much for the playing for 09 theory if true. This also throws the budget nonsense away as well. Good move for the Yankees. I have always thought Washburn is better than what he has shown.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    How about:

    Wang
    Joba
    Pettitte
    Moose
    5th starter until Hughes is ready.
    Looks good but Sabathia looks soooooo good up top. That's the potential for a huge season... of course if we continue our hitting woe's then it doesn't matter. Our outfield is a little old and I'm actually thinking a lot is riding on Gardner working out. Matsui is breaking down, Damon is not a spring chicken, and Melky is not ever going to be a power bat. If Gardner can match those AAA #'s with OBP he can at least be very productive at the plate. So glad baseball is around to fill in the time for football season.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    6,870
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    How about:

    Wang
    Joba
    Pettitte
    Moose
    5th starter until Hughes is ready.
    They had this rotation the first two weeks of June this year...and hopefully will have it in September.

  15. #15
    I had a feeling Washburn's performance last night was going to be a deciding factor...He went 5.2 IP 2 ER 7 hits 2 BB...Not bad when you consider how badly he was getting pinched by the ump...

    Washburn is a good upgrade over both Rasner and Ponson...Don't bother looking at the guys ERA because its very misleading, he had a slow start and that's why his numbers are so inflated...Washburn has gone 6 or more innings in 7 of his last 9 starts with an ERA in the mid 3's...He pitches a lot like Mussina, a fastball in the high 80's which he spots on the corners and an assortment of good breaking balls...He does give up a lot of hits but not many runs much like Musina...If he can be had just for Igawa and some money that's a steal imo...

    When Wang and Hughes come back put him in the pen as the lefty specialist...Lefty's are batting .250/.298/.348 off him this season...Edwar can assume the roll of lefty specialist for the time being...In 61 AB's Lefty's are batting .176/.263/.324 off Edwar this season...When he keeps that change up low and away nobody's hitting him...

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,565
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    So much for the playing for 09 theory if true. This also throws the budget nonsense away as well. Good move for the Yankees. I have always thought Washburn is better than what he has shown.
    How do you figure? After this year, Igawa has 3 years left on his contract for about $12M. Washburn has 1 left at $10M. And Washburn has a lot more value to the 2009 roster than Igawa would in the minors.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    How about:

    Wang
    Joba
    Pettitte
    Moose
    5th starter until Hughes is ready.
    How about:
    CC
    Wang
    Pettite
    Joba
    Hughes/Kennedy?

    Only 1 starter over the age of 30. Joba as the #4 could get some sick win totals going against other teams #4, and that would make for a very good Postseason roster.


    Let Moose and Abreu go and collect draft picks (some of which go away with CC)

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    How about:
    CC
    Wang
    Pettite
    Joba
    Hughes/Kennedy?

    Only 1 starter over the age of 30. Joba as the #4 could get some sick win totals going against other teams #4, and that would make for a very good Postseason roster.


    Let Moose and Abreu go and collect draft picks (some of which go away with CC)
    That's the same thing I was thinking. A youth movement isn't a bad thing for a rotation. The only issue is that Abreu has been a steady bat in the outfield for about 1.5 seasons now. I don't particularly think he's worth the money he'll command. This off-season will be interesting for sure with who's going, who's been hurt and who we can go after. I just think we need a power bat in the outfield or a productive bat in that bottom half of the order.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    That's the same thing I was thinking. A youth movement isn't a bad thing for a rotation. The only issue is that Abreu has been a steady bat in the outfield for about 1.5 seasons now. I don't particularly think he's worth the money he'll command. This off-season will be interesting for sure with who's going, who's been hurt and who we can go after. I just think we need a power bat in the outfield or a productive bat in that bottom half of the order.
    Well, if you let Abreu go, you should get compensatory picks for him. And you just don't want Abreu, Matsui and Damon in the OF together. All Lefties, all 34 and older, all breaking down a bit.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Well, if you let Abreu go, you should get compensatory picks for him. And you just don't want Abreu, Matsui and Damon in the OF together. All Lefties, all 34 and older, all breaking down a bit.
    That's what frightens the crap out of me as a Yankees fan. Gardner has been not so great, so hopefully he can bring it up, if he becomes a viable option then him and Damon can combine to put together a good amount of runs. I forgot the kids name but he's playing CF for us in the minors and is supposed to be the real deal.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us