Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66

Thread: Official Cotto Vs Margarito thread (merged)

  1. #1

    Arrow Official Cotto Vs Margarito thread (merged)

    now this is a real battle of the titans

    The styles are conducive to a blood war...I just hope Cotto doesn't try to get cute like he did vs Mosley.

    It's going to be a battle of wills and stamina. I expect both in tremendous shape. Neither is a quick KO artist, it shouldn't be over early.

    Head definitely telling me Cotto in this one, and I like Cotto too, but my heart is pulling for Tony...and i've never been a fan of his.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    ha, Cotto by decision

    no knockdowns in this fight

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    ha, Cotto by decision

    no knockdowns in this fight
    x2

    Both of these guys are going to walk into that ring with the mentality that the only way they're getting knocked down is if someone comes into that ring with a sledgehammer.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,242
    Cotto by decision unless he doesn't box and simply tries to get Margarito out of there. This will give Tony the proverbial "puncher's chance" to win.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    Cotto by decision unless he doesn't box and simply tries to get Margarito out of there. This will give Tony the proverbial "puncher's chance" to win.
    I expect a crisp jab like he had early in the Mosely fight, he just cant abandon it like he did in that fight

  6. #6
    Margarito by knockout

    I think he's too strong for Cotto

    I know Williams beat Margarito and therefore folks will automatically assume Cotto can do likewise, but IMO that would be a mistake, styles makes fights and Williams size/style gave Margarito a hard time, but he is a very dangerous man for anyone he can engage in a phone booth and he knows how to cut off the ring and force that kind of fight with relentless pressure, he's really an expert at cutting off the ring and applying relentless pressure

    I think he'll force that kind of fight with Cotto and that's bad news for Cotto

    I think that's bad news for anyone he forces to engage toe to toe cause he is a strong welterweight with a cast iron jaw and punishing punches, not a knockout artist, but a punishing puncher who can bust you up then take you out
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-16-2008 at 10:56 PM.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Margarito by knockout

    I think he's too strong for Cotto

    I know Williams beat Margarito and therefore folks will automatically assume Cotto can do likewise, but IMO that would be a mistake, styles makes fights and Williams size/style gave Margarito a hard time, but he is a very dangerous man for anyone he can engage in a phone booth and he knows how to cut off the ring and force that kind of fight with relentless pressure, he's really an expert at cutting off the ring and applying relentless pressure

    I think he'll force that kind of fight with Cotto and that's bad news for Cotto

    I think that's bad news for anyone he forces to engage toe to toe cause he is a strong welterweight with a cast iron jaw and punishing punches, not a knockout artist, but a punishing puncher who can bust you up then take you out
    fair enough, but I don't see Tony with the fortitude to come inside with Cotto and take the body shots that he will take

    Cotto will keep him at bay with a strong-crisp jab and then work his body to death if he gets inside, the height advantage that Tony has will be negated by the fact that it puts his body right up in front of Cotto and that will have a bullseye all over it

    Tony couldn't get past William's 'power' (minimal) how can he get past the hardest puncher in the division?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    fair enough, but I don't see Tony with the fortitude to come inside with Cotto and take the body shots that he will take

    Cotto will keep him at bay with a strong-crisp jab and then work his body to death if he gets inside, the height advantage that Tony has will be negated by the fact that it puts his body right up in front of Cotto and that will have a bullseye all over it

    Tony couldn't get past William's 'power' (minimal) how can he get past the hardest puncher in the division?

    He already did twice....Cintron. Okay one should never compare Cotto and Cintron but Cintron does have 1 punch KO power

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    fair enough, but I don't see Tony with the fortitude to come inside with Cotto and take the body shots that he will take

    Cotto will keep him at bay with a strong-crisp jab and then work his body to death if he gets inside, the height advantage that Tony has will be negated by the fact that it puts his body right up in front of Cotto and that will have a bullseye all over it

    Tony couldn't get past William's 'power' (minimal) how can he get past the hardest puncher in the division?
    I'm a huge fan of Tony and I originally picked him over Williams. I came here and ate crow in that fight, and I'll eat crow again if I have to, but I like Margarito in this one.

    In the fight vs. Williams, not only did he get past Williams "power", he busted up his ribs, to the point where "The Punisher" had to change tactics and tried to keep Margarito at bay with jabs, as opposed to opening up. He admitted so afterwards. Despite his reach, Margarito was able to get inside and brutalize Williams body. That'is not to say that Cotto can't do the same to Tony, but it also points out how people almost forget how good a body puncher Margarito is. Cotto usually has a big, if not HUGE edge in that department, but not on the 26th.

    Tony was so good, he wa able to get Williams timing down and after the 7th round, was clearly patting down The Punisher's punches, as if he knew they were coming. Tony also puts together some serious punches from all sorts of angles, mixing body and head shots.

    I think if anyone goes down in this fight, it's Cotto. I expect nothing short of a war, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Cotto win. He's come a long way and earned my respect. I think he's a hell of a boxer, but my money is on The Tornado.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post

    fair enough, but I don't see Tony with the fortitude to come inside with Cotto and take the body shots that he will take

    Cotto will keep him at bay with a strong-crisp jab and then work his body to death if he gets inside, the height advantage that Tony has will be negated by the fact that it puts his body right up in front of Cotto and that will have a bullseye all over it

    Tony couldn't get past William's 'power' (minimal) how can he get past the hardest puncher in the division?
    Power doesn't affect him, MBG, that's not why Williams had success, his power didn't phase Margarito one iota, it was the length and procession {record number} of the punches he threw, those were the two things {combined} that gave him a hard time, but his power didn't even make a dent, nor did Cintron's {bonifide knockout artist}, that didn't phase him either, that's how you know Margarito is one of those guys you can hit on the chin with a blackjack, full swing, and he'll smile at you when you're done

    Guy has a hard head, man .. you'll break your hand on his head before you break his head with your hand

    The key for Cotto, if he's going to win this fight, is the body attack

    If he has one that would be his ace in the hole, we know Margarito has a cast iron jaw, we know he can walk through power shots to the head like he's walking through a flea, but that doesn't mean you can't bust his ribs and that doesn't mean his belly isn't softer than that boulder he calls a head

    But I have to go with Margarito, this reminds me of Edwin Rosario {Cotto} Vs Jose Luis Ramirez {Margarito} and that spells bad news for Cotto .. Rosario and Ramirez split their two fights, but Rosario was given a gift decision in the first one when he got beat up pretty bad verses the hard headed Mexican, and in the second one Rosario got massacred, 4th RD TKO

    Rosario was a knockout artist with either hand, straight right and left hook were equally as devistating, could knock you out cold with either hand and he blasted Ramirez with shots that stretched other fighters without even making a dent, that's when I knew he was in big trouble , but he DID NOT possess Cotto's body attack and that might be Cotto's ace in the hole, but I see this one unfolding a lot like Rosario/Ramirez, therefore I have to pick the relentless Mexican with the cast iron jaw

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,242

    Official Cotto Vs Margarito thread

    Nice article about Cotto from ESPN:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3497009

    Good breakdown by CBS Sportsline:

    http://www.sportsline.com/mmaboxing/story/10904553
    Last edited by simijet; 07-22-2008 at 02:23 PM.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    great articles, I have to say it now....

    if Cotto wins especially if it is decisive he's the P4P champ in my book just ahead of Pac Man

  13. #13
    I agree with a convincing win he'll be P4P King. This should be a classic can't wait!

  14. #14

    Cotto-Marg

    Ahhhhh, can't wait *****es. Cotto is winning this though.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    the fight is totally up to Miggy to dictate as he sees fit, Tony doesn't have the balls to push him around unless Cotto gets dumb and doesn't use the jab early and accurately

    if he is able to establish the jab early he wins this fight without much problem, maybe even a late KO like he had against Zab, tony's long body will be sitting there in prime real estate in front of Cotto and its up to him to punish it, but I cant emphasize enough how a sharp consistent jab to the chest and shoulders will help him in this fight

  16. #16
    I think Cotto will win but I won't be surprised if he loses. Who's on the undercard? Lot of money going for AM by KO. Does PBF come out of "retirement" for the winner?

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Middlesex County, NJ
    Posts
    3,366
    I'm guessing that Cotto will put his head on Marg's chest, stick to him like glue.... He should stay on the body for the first 6....I'm predicting a late round stoppage....10th or 11th....

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmarco View Post
    I think Cotto will win but I won't be surprised if he loses. Who's on the undercard? Lot of money going for AM by KO. Does PBF come out of "retirement" for the winner?
    if one of these guys does teh unlikely and gets a KO victory it would be even more reason for Floyd to duck them

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post

    great articles, I have to say it now....

    if Cotto wins especially if it is decisive he's the P4P champ in my book just ahead of Pac Man
    TOTALLY AGREE, MBG

    If he beats Margarito he goes to another level in my view, P4P and he now enters the HOF realm, you can start to use the "G" word {Great} and you won't have to apologize for it, this carries him into that conversation

    IMO this is Cotto's first real Superfight with another dominant welterweight in his prime, and when you emerge victorious in bona-fide Superfights you enther that next level/realm
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-26-2008 at 03:06 AM.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    TOTALLY AGREE, MBG

    If he beats Margarito he goes to another level in my view, P4P and he now enters the HOF realm, you can start to use the "G" word {Great} and you won't have to apologize for it, this carries him into that conversation

    IMO this is Cotto's first real Superfight with another dominant welterweight in his prime, and when you emerge victorious in bona-fide Superfights you enther that next level/realm
    then maybe he can dispatch your bum PW

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us