Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Cotto Vs Margarito thread (merged)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, that 2nd RD was brutal

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cotto Quits!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post

Margarito by knockout

I think he's too strong for Cotto

I know Williams beat Margarito and therefore folks will automatically assume Cotto can do likewise, but IMO that would be a mistake, styles makes fights and Williams size/style gave Margarito a hard time, but he is a very dangerous man for anyone he can engage in a phone booth and he knows how to cut off the ring and force that kind of fight with relentless pressure, he's really an expert at cutting off the ring and applying relentless pressure

I think he'll force that kind of fight with Cotto and that's bad news for Cotto

I think that's bad news for anyone he forces to engage toe to toe cause he is a strong welterweight with a cast iron jaw and punishing punches, not a knockout artist, but a punishing puncher who can bust you up then take you out
    Pretty Good Call, huh?
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-27-2008 at 12:36 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, the only thing more impressive than Margarito's tenacity is the flexibility of his ears! I can't believe how tough this guy is! Impressive.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty Good Call, huh?
    Yes, it was Ham! Damn good fight!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    hopefully now someone can give paul williams his due.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LightsOut View Post

hopefully now someone can give paul williams his due.
    Indeed, this shows you how incredible it is that Paul Williams actually defeated this relentless beast with a cast iron jaw, if you didn't know it before you have to know it now

Beating this guy is like beating a machine
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-27-2008 at 12:22 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    great fight, but Cotto was too much of a boxer tonight, as he has become since Mosley. He should've met Tony head on, this was always his strength.

It was incredible watching Tony run to track him down at the end, just like Cintron, pretty surreal stuff. Steward was on his A game tonight.

I envisioned Floyd at the opposite end of both guys tonight, and couldn't see either beating him

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    great fight, but Cotto was too much of a boxer tonight, as he has become since Mosley. He should've met Tony head on, this was always his strength.

It was incredible watching Tony run to track him down at the end, just like Cintron, pretty surreal stuff. Steward was on his A game tonight.

I envisioned Floyd at the opposite end of both guys tonight, and couldn't see either beating him
    I disagree. I believe the ending would have come quicker if Cotto didn't attempt to box. I believe Cotto should have stuck and moved. He obviously was the faster of the two by far, but he obviously was not the tougher!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Margarito by knockout

I think he's too strong for Cotto

I know Williams beat Margarito and therefore folks will automatically assume Cotto can do likewise, but IMO that would be a mistake, styles makes fights and Williams size/style gave Margarito a hard time, but he is a very dangerous man for anyone he can engage in a phone booth and he knows how to cut off the ring and force that kind of fight with relentless pressure, he's really an expert at cutting off the ring and applying relentless pressure

I think he'll force that kind of fight with Cotto and that's bad news for Cotto

I think that's bad news for anyone he forces to engage toe to toe cause he is a strong welterweight with a cast iron jaw and punishing punches, not a knockout artist, but a punishing puncher who can bust you up then take you out

wow... nice!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed, this shows you how incredible it is that Paul Williams actually defeated this relentless beast with a cast iron jaw, if you didn't know it before you have to know it now

Beating this guy is like beating a machine
    Well said. And great call by the way.

It's the one constant in boxing through the years that's always stayed true and will ALWAYS stay true. Styles make fights, there's no way around it.

Great call G.

My condolences MB also, I know what it's like to have "your guy" lose like that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post

My condolences MB also, I know what it's like to have "your guy" lose like that.
    Ditto, I know the feeling and it hurts

I don't think MBG loves Cotto the way I loved Duran, that was the kind of pure hero worship only a kid can feel for his sports heros and I first saw Duran {live at MSG} when I wasn't even 10 Years old, so that's a totally different dynamic, but I liked Edwin Rosario the way MBG likes Cotto and I was devistated {and shocked} when he lost

I'm sure this is a very tough pill for MBG to swallow, I know the feeling
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-27-2008 at 06:49 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think MBG loves Cotto the way I loved Duran, that was the kind of pure hero worship only a kid can feel for his sports heros and I first saw Duran {live at MSG} when I wasn't even 10 Years old, so that's a totally different dynamic, but I liked Edwin Rosario the way MBG likes Cotto and I was devistated {and shocked} when he lost

Yeah I was about the same age when Tyson went down, that one was rough. Then I think about only a year later Bo Jackson went down with his injury, and I watched two of my childhood idols go down in under the span of a year I think.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

That pill was made even bigger by the arrogance shown by MB when posting about Miggy. The lesson to be learned here is that although we may think we know everything and are smarter than the next guy, if we shoot are mouths off and talk smack too much it will inevitably come back and bite us. Humility is always the better route.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    ha, Cotto by decision

no knockdowns in this fight

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    and now.........what you've all been waiting for..........................Mean Bro shows

Several thoughts on this fight, I never thought I would see what I saw on Saturday night and I don't think many expected that. Miguel became Zab Judah, a broken man in 11 rounds. Its shocking to me because I thought he dominated rounds 1-6 but something happened in the 7th that turned the fight to Tony's favor and it was the straight left to the jaw. Miggy never recovered IMO, he was in avoid mode since he got cracked with that shot. I thought he had it together though with a very impressive 9th and 10th which he won on my cards, except for the last ten seconds of round 10 which probably earned Tony that round just for the last seconds where that straight left landed again and harder than the first time.

Wow, still cant believe what Tony accomplished that night and it rocked my world. First of all the man is a machine, how could he stalk that hard for that long without being hurt by many many clean shots and not get tired either? I wouldn't be shocked to see him test for roids, seriously though he was relentless and that was the only way to beat my great champion, the only way I said, not sure if anyone else in that weight class could have done what Tony did.

That being said, one thing that crossed my mind was alot more respect for Paul Williams than I had before this fight. I still stand by everything that I said before and still don't think much of him as a boxer BUT what he did against Tony became much more impressive. I'd love to see the rematch in which I am positive Tony would destroy him but I HAVE to give him respect for that win.

Now back to the fight again, I stated earlier that the most important punch in this fight was going to be Miggy's left jab and he did a good job with that punch early but what happened to the body attack that got him to 32-0???? I wanted to see him establish the jab to keep a distance and then go hard to the body when he got inside but all he did was headhunt against a guy with an iron jaw.

I really don't know if he can come back from this loss, he was on the receiving end of being broken as he has done to so many before him, not sure that I even want a rematch at this point either. I just hope he's okay physically and mentally, this was a tough loss in many ways. Even his detractors need give him respect for this fight he stood like a man and stopped when he couldn't take any more, damn it hurt to see it though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    That pill was made even bigger by the arrogance shown by MB when posting about Miggy. The lesson to be learned here is that although we may think we know everything and are smarter than the next guy, if we shoot are mouths off and talk smack too much it will inevitably come back and bite us. Humility is always the better route.
    wow, arrogance??? haha. I've rarely been wrong about fights or fighters when posting on this board I've also never been arrogant, I believe in my fighters and my knowledge of the sport. Arrogance would probably be all of the bashing I took here for two years regarding Paul Williams and when I was proved right and vindicated what Happened??? Go back and read the post, I didn't once say I told ya so.

There's a difference between predicting and putting others down, I've never disrespected anyone here, but see it as you will my friend. It matters to me not, MIggy is still a great champion to me and Sat didn't change that, he just ran into a bigger stronger more determined man and for that I have given all respect.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    if I had egg on my face you would probably eat if off slim love ya

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    wow, arrogance??? haha. I've rarely been wrong about fights or fighters when posting on this board I've also never been arrogant, I believe in my fighters and my knowledge of the sport. Arrogance would probably be all of the bashing I took here for two years regarding Paul Williams and when I was proved right and vindicated what Happened??? Go back and read the post, I didn't once say I told ya so.

There's a difference between predicting and putting others down, I've never disrespected anyone here, but see it as you will my friend. It matters to me not, MIggy is still a great champion to me and Sat didn't change that, he just ran into a bigger stronger more determined man and for that I have given all respect.
    None of us disagree that Miggy is a great champion. He fought his heart out and was dominating (IMO) the early parts of the fight. With some of the shots he landed, Margarito had no business hanging in there - yet he still did. The man appears to be a machine!

My only problem with your posting is that, for the most part, you don't come across as being objective when discussing certain fighters. Thus, you lose a little bit of credibility when discussing guys like Cotto or Williams. Your feelings (love for Cotto, disdain for Williams) come across loud and clear in all of your posts regarding the two.

Other than that, I can honestly say that the threads you start are what brings me to this forum. There is no question you know and love the sport and you articulate your thoughts very well. Therefore, I have muuuuuuch respect for you!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    None of us disagree that Miggy is a great champion. He fought his heart out and was dominating (IMO) the early parts of the fight. With some of the shots he landed, Margarito had no business hanging in there - yet he still did. The man appears to be a machine!

My only problem with your posting is that, for the most part, you don't come across as being objective when discussing certain fighters. Thus, you lose a little bit of credibility when discussing guys like Cotto or Williams. Your feelings (love for Cotto, disdain for Williams) come across loud and clear in all of your posts regarding the two.

Other than that, I can honestly say that the threads you start are what brings me to this forum. There is no question you know and love the sport and you articulate your thoughts very well. Therefore, I have muuuuuuch respect for you!
    many ethnic fans have the same vigor for their champions as I do, theres just not that many here in the site. When I tell you that I almost cried when Tito got KO'd its no joke. I was devastated, that made it a lil better for me this time around, these guys aren't just fighters they represent our people and are the pride of a nation. Seeing Tito and now Miggy like that hurts, I admit that freely, those were my guys and I stick with them regardless. I never said either was unbeatable just felt strongly that they would win in their matchups, I was wrong

I still despise Paul Williams though, still a fraud IMO, lol. I'm stubborn that way, lol.