Thread: DAILY NEWS: Yankees likely to make trades and 'make a run'

All Pro

DAILY NEWS: Yankees likely to make trades and 'make a run'

Yankees likely to make trades and 'make a run'
    BY MARK FEINSAND
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, July 22nd 2008, 11:40 PM

With the trade deadline looming a week from Thursday, the Yankees' brain trust will gather Thursday in Tampa to discuss potential moves.

The meeting will include co-chairmen Hank and Hal Steinbrenner, president Randy Levine, general manager Brian Cashman, special adviser Gene Michael, pro scouting director Billy Eppler and senior VP Felix Lopez. Manager Joe Girardi isn't expected to be at the meeting, but he is expected to have some input.

A source with knowledge of the situation said that the Steinbrenner brothers have been pleased with the team's recent play, so they want to show the players that they are committed to winning this year by making moves to bolster the roster.

"They're ready to do whatever they need to do at the deadline," the source said. "They want to make a run this year."

During last week's All-Star break, the source said, Hal Steinbrenner instructed Cashman to make whatever moves were necessary before the deadline, even if it meant dealing some of the organization's highly touted prospects.

It is unlikely the Yankees would deal Phil Hughes, since the commissioner must approve any deal that includes a player on the disabled list and the team still believes he will be a top-level pitcher once he gets past his injury issues. Reliever Mark Melancon is the only true untouchable among the other prospects, leaving plenty of players up for grabs in the right deal.

The Yankees are focused on two areas: adding a righthanded bat and a starting pitcher, with several targets already on their radar.

Pittsburgh's Jason Bay and Xavier Nady are the top two outfield bats on the market. The Yankees have discussed starting pitchers such as Seattle's Jarrod Washburn, Cincinnati's Bronson Arroyo and Toronto's A.J. Burnett.

The Bombers also are in the market for a lefthanded reliever, with Pittsburgh's Damaso Marte and Colorado's Brian Fuentes among the potential targets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...rades_and.html

Don't know how serious this should be taken.......

anyone really beleive Cash (if he has a choice) will get rid of "the future" to win this year???

that being said it would be awesome to make a real run at the WS JG's first year

If this article has any truth to it, then that's just plain stupid. Don't let this 5 game win streak fool you. This is not a team built to win the World Series, especially with all of these injuries. Any trade that we have to really break the bank and ship out our highly-touted prospects, I'm completely against. I say stick to making a Jarrod Washburn-type trade and see what happens.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    If this article has any truth to it, then that's just plain stupid. Don't let this 5 game win streak fool you. This is not a team built to win the World Series, especially with all of these injuries. Any trade that we have to really break the bank and ship out our highly-touted prospects, I'm completely against. I say stick to making a Jarrod Washburn-type trade and see what happens.
    I don't think there's much truth to it. The Yankees have to act like they're in the market, for a lot of reasons. I think they know what we all know: this isn't a championship caliber team, so it's not worth mortgaging the future for a run this year.

We'll see but I don't buy it. All I know is if the Yankees trade Hughes, Austin Jackson, or Mark Melancon (not to mention Montero), I'll flip. All should be untouchable.

This article made me want to throw up. Just seeing the words "Tampa braintrust" makes me think of "Jarod Wright and Carl Pavano". I'm fine with Washburn for Igawa and some other not valuable minor leaguer. I'm not fine with sending Kennedy, Jackson, Hughes or Montero or any of those other guys for a slightly above average player. I just dont' think Cash will do it.

THE UNTOUCHABLES.

Phil Hughes
    Austin Jackson
    Jesus Montero
    Mark Melancon

What Ian Kennedy not on anyone's Untouchable list anymore?

Hall Of Fame
    Cano better be untouchable too. I don't like these whispers about trading him to the Dodgers at all.

I'm curious what they will do. The bullpen has become pretty solid IMO after the Joba move. I could see them getting a pitcher but nothing big, just because you the Ponson experiment will fail eventually, plus you have to figure Hughes will be in the mix when he returns sometime in August and Wang will be back with any luck in September for the stretch run.

We need an OF more than anything. I like Jason Bay and Nady, but I would find out what the Rockies want for Holliday if they want to make a big splash and make a run.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Cano better be untouchable too. I don't like these whispers about trading him to the Dodgers at all.
    where are you hearing these whispers???

I agree with you, Cano should be untouchable

I would be shocked if he goes anywhere especially because of how he is playing as of late

Quote Originally Posted by Postseason View Post
    What Ian Kennedy not on anyone's Untouchable list anymore?
    Kennedy never was on an untouchable list.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    That was a while ago and it was Gammons who made up some crap about the Dodgers wanting Cano for Brad Penny. Cano ain't going anywhere.

edit: Ah, I see it was in the Post today. Kemp and Lowe for Cano. At least that's a bit more reasonable, but I'd rather have Cano than Kemp because of position.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 07-24-2008 at 12:15 PM.

All Pro
    Barry Bonds in pinstripes? If nothing else, the New York Yankees plan to talk about it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,4518827.story

Bonds agent told reporters at festivities for the All-Star Game that he would be willing to give teams a contract already signed by Bonds, and the team can fill in the details.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...6135341.column

League minimum...not saying I think it's a good idea but I understand why they are thinking about it.

I hated the guy (not so much now that it looks like almost everyone was cheating) but if we can get that bat for peanuts IDK

Are there any Yankee fans here who don't think this is a horible idea?

Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    Barry Bonds in pinstripes? If nothing else, the New York Yankees plan to talk about it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,4518827.story

Bonds agent told reporters at festivities for the All-Star Game that he would be willing to give teams a contract already signed by Bonds, and the team can fill in the details.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...6135341.column

League minimum...not saying I think it's a good idea but I understand why they are thinking about it.

I hated the guy (not so much now that it looks like almost everyone was cheating) but if we can get that bat for peanuts IDK

Are there any Yankee fans here who don't think this is a horible idea?
    I'm sure there are a ton of Yankee fans who think it's a horrible idea, but that's because they hate the guy.

I don't like Barry Bonds. I think he's a cheater and I think the HR record is a fraud. Saying that, I want the Yankees to win. I want the Yankees to win every game. I want them to win now, and I want them to win later. I don't want them to give up big time prospects to win either. Bonds would obviously help them in all those regards.

With Posada and Matsui both out, he could fit in nicely as the everyday DH.

The ONLY reason I wouldn't make this move is that if we did make it and then didn't make the playoffs, it wouldn't look good. I wouldn't worry at all about the clubhouse thing. I don't think, with this Yankee team, that would matter at all.

By the way, reading that article, it's not going to happen. That's an article made from nothing.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 07-24-2008 at 03:14 PM.

All Pro
    Yeah if it is true he will sign the contract b4 it is written up they have to put in a don't be a d*ck clause

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I'm sure there are a ton of Yankee fans who think it's a horrible idea, but that's because they hate the guy.

I don't like Barry Bonds. I think he's a cheater and I think the HR record is a fraud. Saying that, I want the Yankees to win. I want the Yankees to win every game. I want them to win now, and I want them to win later. I don't want them to give up big time prospects to win either. Bonds would obviously help them in all those regards.

With Posada and Matsui both out, he could fit in nicely as the everyday DH.

The ONLY reason I wouldn't make this move is that if we did make it and then didn't make the playoffs, it wouldn't look good. I wouldn't worry at all about the clubhouse thing. I don't think, with this Yankee team, that would matter at all.
    Ugh. The worst part about all of this is that.... it..... makes.... sense. We need run production, we need to hit the ball and even before the roids Bonds was doing this. He just wasn't doing it by driving the ball out of the park left and right. He's cheap, we'd give nothing up, and he'd just have to hit the damn ball. If there was any spot he could repair his image it's in NY, if there is a clubhouse that wouldn't allow his antics it's the Yanks clubhouse. If there is any organization that can say "you act up, you're gone" it's yea, the Yankees. GOD I PRAY THEY DON'T DO IT

Although it makes sense.