Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: I Found the Way CNN Starts this Article Interesting.

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062

    I Found the Way CNN Starts this Article Interesting.

    (CNN Traveller) -- When the Roman Emperor Hadrian came to power in 117AD he inherited an empire that was overstretched militarily and creaking at the seams.

    One of his first acts was to pull the troops out of Mesopotamia, modern-day Iraq, a fact that is sure to resonate with visitors to the British Museum"s superb exhibition "Hadrian: Empire and Conflict" which opens on 24 July under the imposing classical dome of the Reading Room.

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/07/22...eum/index.html
    Lol.

    Although I'm betting ~50% of the Forum won't see any implications behind the way this article starts at all.
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-23-2008 at 11:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Lol.

    Although I'm betting ~50% of the Forum won't see any implications behind the way this article starts at all.
    A travel article subliminally making a political statement. Interesting.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,923
    Are you implying the US is overstretched its military and should withdraw from Iraq.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    astoria
    Posts
    5,612
    hysterical...i'm waiting for the first anti-bush porn movie

  5. #5
    LOL

    Hmmm.........



    Curator Torsten Opper says: "No matter what our take is on the conflict in Iraq today, we can relate to Hadrian's decision. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago, it wouldn't have mattered so much. Now it does."
    I'm trying to find the underlying correlation of this historical fact.

    Though married, he also took a homosexual lover, Antinous, whose drowning in the river Nile on the very day Egyptians were celebrating the death in a similar manner of the god Osiris remains one of ancient history's great unsolved mysteries.

  6. #6
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    those who do not learn the lessons of history are forced to repeat them

  7. #7
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    180
    You find this thing all the time in the "cultural" section of your local newspaper. Travel, literature, movie reviews. I would have to say that even sports writers tilt left. They think they have to balance out their neanderthal image with a vapid "social conscience."

    Here in Miami, it's the sportswriters who lead the charge against any government spending on a new Marlins stadium, although they seem to support all other kinds of government spending.

    Warfish, why did you get rid of the Scottish flag?

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by littleeddiebell View Post
    You find this thing all the time in the "cultural" section of your local newspaper. Travel, literature, movie reviews. I would have to say that even sports writers tilt left. They think they have to balance out their neanderthal image with a vapid "social conscience."

    Here in Miami, it's the sportswriters who lead the charge against any government spending on a new Marlins stadium, although they seem to support all other kinds of government spending.

    Warfish, why did you get rid of the Scottish flag?
    he ate it

  9. #9
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    180

    Porn with political message?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    hysterical...i'm waiting for the first anti-bush porn movie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-mpRLvfRlY

    Porn with a conscience?

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    astoria
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by littleeddiebell View Post
    where's the porn???

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Lol.

    Although I'm betting ~50% of the Forum won't see any implications behind the way this article starts at all.
    That's nothin' - I stopped reading Newsday after the music critic worked in a diatribe against Bush, and it wasn't about the Dixie Chicks.

    I was honestly waiting for a restaurant review that said it was the Bush administration's fault the filet mignon was too tough.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    hysterical...i'm waiting for the first anti-bush porn movie
    NO HOMO.....

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    those who do not learn the lessons of history are forced to repeat them
    What does history tell you about the Obama Plan of massive troop increases in Afganistan, and incursions into Pakistan without approval from them or the U.N.?

    Quote Originally Posted by littleeddiebell View Post
    Warfish, why did you get rid of the Scottish flag?
    I tend to shift through Sig pics pretty regularly, but they all come back eventually.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    he ate it
    Bastard.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by littleeddiebell View Post
    You find this thing all the time in the "cultural" section of your local newspaper. Travel, literature, movie reviews. I would have to say that even sports writers tilt left. They think they have to balance out their neanderthal image with a vapid "social conscience."

    Here in Miami, it's the sportswriters who lead the charge against any government spending on a new Marlins stadium, although they seem to support all other kinds of government spending.

    Warfish, why did you get rid of the Scottish flag?
    Do you want a Marlins' stadium?

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    astoria
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    NO HOMO.....
    come....again

  16. #16
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Press_Coverage View Post
    Do you want a Marlins' stadium?
    Yes, I want a domed stadium to watch my beloved Mets 9 or 10 times a year down here.

    But no, I don't want tax money spent on a stadium.
    Or health care or even education. Just cops, courts, prisons and nukes.

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    come....again
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=172399

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    What does history tell you about the Obama Plan of massive troop increases in Afganistan, and incursions into Pakistan without approval from them or the U.N.?
    it's not good. In fairness I have said I don't support all of Obama's policies but overall I believe he's the better candidate - there are some flaws there, to be sure. In fairness to Obama he didn't decide to start a land war in Asia on 2 fronts, but now he's stuck with it. Also should be noted at least Afghanistan is a NATO operation.

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it's not good. In fairness I have said I don't support all of Obama's policies but overall I believe he's the better candidate - there are some flaws there, to be sure. In fairness to Obama he didn't decide to start a land war in Asia on 2 fronts, but now he's stuck with it. Also should be noted at least Afghanistan is a NATO operation.
    "Stuck with it"? Why is that? Once elected he can withdraw completely on day #1 if he so wishes. Please Bit, lets not make excuses before he even wins the job.

    As for Afganistan being a NATO operation, the breakdown of troops in that country since the war started shows pretty clearly who is running (and paying for) that war. Using that as a rationale is akin to the Bush supporters using the "Coalition of the Willing" argument for Iraq.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it's not good. In fairness I have said I don't support all of Obama's policies but overall I believe he's the better candidate - there are some flaws there, to be sure. In fairness to Obama he didn't decide to start a land war in Asia on 2 fronts, but now he's stuck with it. Also should be noted at least Afghanistan is a NATO operation.
    Bush's next move? Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line, perhaps?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us