Yankees vs. Red Sox @ Fenway Pauk

NEW YORK YANKEES
    VS.
    BOSTON RED SOX

Pitching Matchups:

Friday: RHP Joba Chamberlain vs. RHP Josh Beckett @ 7:05

Saturday: LHP Andy Pettitte vs. RHP Tim Wakefield @ 3:55

Sunday: RHP Sidney Ponson vs. LHP John Lester @ 8:05
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-23-2008 at 09:30 PM.

I hope Joba shuts down the sox and puts one in Youkilis's right ear again.

This is a BIG series. Joba and Pettitte need to come up big on Friday and Saturday so we don't need to be counting on Ponson to win us the series on Sunday night.

All Pro
    JWF said it in another thread but winning friday would be HUGE!!!!!

IMO the first game is the rubber game and if we can take 2/3 in boston that would be so so SWEET!!

Plus it would be awesome if Joba beats JB

Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    JWF said it in another thread but winning friday would be HUGE!!!!!

IMO the first game is the rubber game and if we can take 2/3 in boston that would be so so SWEET!!

Plus it would be awesome if Joba beats JB
    +1

Friday's game is a very important one. We win and we take a lot of pressure off of ourselves for the rest of the series.

Man what a match up. I can't wait to see Joba start in Boston, I just have the feeling he'll be feeding off that negative energy. Should be a good series, have we been able to get to Lester or has he owned us?

Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    Man what a match up. I can't wait to see Joba start in Boston, I just have the feeling he'll be feeding off that negative energy. Should be a good series, have we been able to get to Lester or has he owned us?
    He pitched a CG shutout last time we faced him. I don't recall any of his other starts against us.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    He pitched a CG shutout last time we faced him. I don't recall any of his other starts against us.
    Yea... that sucks. Part of me is trying to believe in this streak. We've looked much better at the plate then we have this season, taking pitches, swinging at better ones. I think if there is one red sock I hate it's Elsbury, so over rated.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    Yea... that sucks. Part of me is trying to believe in this streak. We've looked much better at the plate then we have this season, taking pitches, swinging at better ones. I think if there is one red sock I hate it's Elsbury, so over rated.
    As long as Joba and Pettitte pitch like they've been pitching of late and we get a few breaks and bounces our way, then we could be playing with house money on Sunday night. If we weren't streaking right now I would probably say we would lose 2 out of 3, but I'm saying we win 2 out of 3.

He's sucked against us before then, but that was last year, and he seems to be a different pitcher since then.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    He's sucked against us before then, but that was last year, and he seems to be a different pitcher since then.
    Pitching a no-hitter will do that to a guy hah. Still I'm thinking we can continue to take good at bats and continue to play well. I haven't been this confident in our bullpen... well... ever. And I mean as whole, not just one guy (Mo).

His other start against the Yankees was before he was diagnosed with cancer...

Lester is a very good lefty, don't think for a second he can't shutdown this offense again...

Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    His other start against the Yankees was before he was diagnosed with cancer...

Lester is a very good lefty, don't think for a second he can't shutdown this offense again...
    I don't, which is why I said it seems he's a different pitcher now. He stopped walking so many batters.

I don't always agree with Mike Francesca, but I agree that there is a relatively above average chance that we could see some fireworks tomorrow at Fenway. With Joba pitching, with some of the Sox players not liking how they were treated at the ASG, and with Beckett pitching, that could be a recipe for that. Regardless, it should be a great game.

By the way, isn't it crazy that Mike Mussina has been our best pitcher this year? Who would have bet that? I still can't get over it... I LOVE that he hasn't walked a guy in the last 3 games. I really think he needs to be re-signed.

He's absolutely a different pitcher. Anything can happen, but IMO there's no chance we win that game. That's why these first two games are so important, especially tomorrow.

I doubt anything happens tomorrow except for chants breaking out when Mo enters to close the game...

I don't always agree with Mike Francesca, but I agree that there is a relatively above average chance that we could see some fireworks tomorrow at Fenway. With Joba pitching, with some of the Sox players not liking how they were treated at the ASG, and with Beckett pitching, that could be a recipe for that. Regardless, it should be a great game.

By the way, isn't it crazy that Mike Mussina has been our best pitcher this year? Who would have bet that? I still can't get over it... I LOVE that he hasn't walked a guy in the last 3 games. I really think he needs to be re-signed.
    I agreed with that point as well. Also, there's definitely the beginning of some bad blood between Joba and Youkilis. There's already been a couple of incidents between the two of them. That's only going to be fuel to the fire.

And if Mussina was pitching like he did last year, we would be nowhere near the playoff race right now. The guy is doing an unbelievable job for us this year. He's arguably our MVP right now.

Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    I doubt anything happens tomorrow except for chants breaking out when Mo enters to close the game...
    It is every time we go up there anyway, but it's going to be a hostile crowd, probably even more than usual. And I'm almost expecting some type of fireworks on the field since Joba is pitching. We shall see.

He's absolutely a different pitcher. Anything can happen, but IMO there's no chance we win that game. That's why these first two games are so important, especially tomorrow.
    There's always a chance. That's what makes baseball so fun. There's always a chance that Ponson gets a bunch of grounders and has hard hit balls hit at our fielders and gets DP's.

There's always a chance. That's what makes baseball so fun. There's always a chance that Ponson gets a bunch of grounders and has hard hit balls hit at our fielders and gets DP's.
    Yea, poor wording. Obviously there's always a chance. I don't see us winning that game, that's all.