Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanks looking for a catcher

All Pro

Yanks looking for a catcher

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...ket_for_a.html

YANKEES BUZZ
    Word as of Wednesday afternoon was that the Yankees were looking everywhere for a catcher. Worried that Jose Molina might not be built to hold up the rest of the way as an everyday starter, they have checked in on a number of possibilities, including Texas' Gerald Laird, Washington's Paul Lo Duca, Kansas City's Miguel Olivo and Toronto's Rod Barajas. ...

Yankees executives will meet Thursday in Tampa, Fla., to discuss trade possibilities. Meanwhile, they are keeping their eyes on Seattle's Jarrod Washburn and Cincinnati's Bronson Arroyo as possible starting-pitching targets, though there's some belief within the organization that they have enough to solve that problem from within. (One person familiar with the Yankees' plans even mentioned the possibility that Carl Pavano might make a second-half appearance. Slide that into the believe-it-when-you-see-it folder -- once you stop laughing.)

Pavano?

And it probably would be smart to go after a catcher. I wouldn't mind Miguel Olivo myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Pavano?

And it probably would be smart to go after a catcher. I wouldn't mind Miguel Olivo myself.
    I'm interested in Gerald Laird
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-23-2008 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Not at the price you won't be. At least that's my guess.

IS tom brady available?

From what I recall, Laird was rediculously overpriced last Offseason. Maybe they'd be a little more willing to move him now since he's blocking 3 serious Catcher prospects (Well, more accurately 2 and a Future DH in Max Ramirez), but I doubt it.

Olivo can't play Defense, and swings at everything, not your typical Yankee player who will work the counts, OBP-oriented, ect.

Lo Duca is washed up.

Barajas probably makes the most sense, but that requires Toronto to trade in-division, which they might not be willing to do.

I think Ven0m is right on the money there. The only catcher that would come pretty cheaply is Olivo, and he's not good. I think we have to stick with what we have and A) play Moeller a bit more just to give Molina some more rest and B) upgrade the offense elsewhere - trading for Adam Dunn and his 140 OPS+ and having him replace Gardner and his 15 OPS+. You cannot ask for a bigger upgrade in terms of offense.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Not at the price you won't be. At least that's my guess.
    True. Olivo can hit for power while Laird could also be a long term solution being that some scouts feel Montero will not be a catcher at the Major Legue level.

Laird is still somewhat young at 28 so he won't be a freebie. Rangers like everyone want young pitching in return. The issue with Laird is up until this year he has not been able to hit RH pitching at all.

I would look into Josh Bard of SD as a stop gap for this year if he comes on the cheap.
    Last edited by chad101; 07-24-2008 at 06:40 AM.

I think Ven0m is right on the money there. The only catcher that would come pretty cheaply is Olivo, and he's not good. I think we have to stick with what we have and A) play Moeller a bit more just to give Molina some more rest and B) upgrade the offense elsewhere - trading for Adam Dunn and his 140 OPS+ and having him replace Gardner and his 15 OPS+. You cannot ask for a bigger upgrade in terms of offense.
    Agreed.

I'm on a blackberry and don't feel like looking up everyone's stats, but none of these guys look like vast improvements over Molina. I think we just have to swallow the problem at catcher and accept that it's going to be a position that gives us no offense. At least Molina won't be giving up runs with his arm.

I don't know if Dunn is the right guy per se. If we're going to make a deal I would want to see a long term deal done so we're not just renting a player for half a season when this team isn't all that dtrong to begin with. Gardner is our one pure speed guy on the team. I say we give him some more time and let hin put the ball on the ground.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    IS tom brady available?

Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Agreed.

I'm on a blackberry and don't feel like looking up everyone's stats, but none of these guys look like vast improvements over Molina. I think we just have to swallow the problem at catcher and accept that it's going to be a position that gives us no offense. At least Molina won't be giving up runs with his arm.
    I don't really want someone to replace Molina. It's just he may start to wear down towards the end of the season and it would be good to get someone to split time with him. Preferably someone with a decent bat for a catcher.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    no homo

Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post

I don't know if Dunn is the right guy per se. If we're going to make a deal I would want to see a long term deal done so we're not just renting a player for half a season when this team isn't all that dtrong to begin with. Gardner is our one pure speed guy on the team. I say we give him some more time and let hin put the ball on the ground.
    Dunn's my guy because I am guessing that he wouldn't be too pricey prospect-wise. Plus, if he does leave after the year, we get the two draft picks which should help makeup for the prospects we gave up. And they obviously cannot come from the untouchable list of Hughes, Jackson, Montero, and Melancon. Plus, you can also see how Dunn does in NY and in the outfield when you think about re-signing him to replace Abreu in RF.

As for Gardner, to me, he's just not a ML caliber hitter. And, with the amount of games we need to win, I don't think you can continually put out a lineup where the bottom 3 is Melky, Molina/Moeller, and Gardner. Although I do think that when Damon can play LF, Gardner will be out anyways and Betemit will be in the lineup more regularly, but he still doesn't provide enough offense I don't think. We can still keep Gardner on the team and he can be valuable as a pinchrunner and a defensive replacement, but that's about it I think.

Jets Insider VIP
    As for Gardner, to me, he's just not a ML caliber hitter. And, with the amount of games we need to win, I don't think you can continually put out a lineup where the bottom 3 is Melky, Molina/Moeller, and Gardner. Although I do think that when Damon can play LF, Gardner will be out anyways and Betemit will be in the lineup more regularly, but he still doesn't provide enough offense I don't think. We can still keep Gardner on the team and he can be valuable as a pinchrunner and a defensive replacement, but that's about it I think.
    I think Gardner is going to go back down to get steady at-bats. The Yanks aren't giving up on him as soon as you have. You can live with Justin Christian as your pinch-runner guy. Pretty sure they have no hope for JC as a hitter on the ML level anyway. Might as well utilize his speed while he's here for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    I think Gardner is going to go back down to get steady at-bats. The Yanks aren't giving up on him as soon as you have. You can live with Justin Christian as your pinch-runner guy. Pretty sure they have no hope for JC as a hitter on the ML level anyway. Might as well utilize his speed while he's here for a bit.
    Yeah, it would be one or the other. But even if you just kept Gardner up here, he still would have had a lot of AB's this year, and then next year would start in AAA again.

All Pro
    IS tom brady available?

I like your style, lol.

Banned
    I'm fine with Molina and Moeller. Molina is an excellent defensive catcher, he might even win a gold glove if he keeps this up.

Chad Moeller is also a good defensive catcher and he's made Rasner a better pitcher.

Yankees have more pressing needs (left-handed reliever, another Starting Pitcher, another bat).

whichever direction the yanks go, i think molina deserves a great deal of credit for the job he's done, its gone well beyond what anyone ever thought his role would be

would someone like Doumitt be available? Maybe pry him and Marte? Am I even getting these names right?

as far as Gardner...I kind of like him..I like what I see in his at bats...he isn't hitting much..but his at bats seem to go the distance....

IS tom brady available?
    best freakin post of the day!!