Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: A Red Sox Fan That Gets It?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

A Red Sox Fan That Gets It?

One of them stayed sober long enough to figure this out finally???????

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...nough_already/

Enough already

By Kevin Cullen, Globe Columnist | July 24, 2008

The Yankees are in town for a weekend series, and this would be a nice time to retire the stupidest chant in the world: Yankees suck.

Now, before you go all Hank Steinbrenner on me, hear me out.

I don't like the Yankees. I never did, though as a kid I liked the way Bobby Murcer played the outfield, and for some odd reason I always wanted Horace Clarke to do well.

But I am a Red Sox fan, have been all my life, and so that means I don't like the Yankees. My two sons don't like the Yankees either.

But here's the critical difference: I respect the Yankees, and I've taught my sons to do so, too. They are 14 and 11, love baseball, and know that Derek Jeter plays the game as well and as hard as anyone has. If I were picking sides in the schoolyard, Jeter is the guy I'd pick first.

If you watch him in the on-deck circle at Fenway, Jeter turns and talks to the kids. He's one of the few players who seem to comprehend how lucky he is to be playing a game and making millions doing it. He's class, all the way, and he's the Yankees captain, epitomizes them as a team, and the hell with the Boss, this is Jeter's team.

So when you say the Yankees suck, you're saying Derek Jeter sucks, which is preposterous.

A-Rod? Well, that's another story, and I don't want to go there because it kind of ruins my whole thesis.

But, really, beyond being crude and moronic, the phrase "Yankees suck" is simply outdated. Its origins are from a bygone era, when we all knew deep down in our hearts that no matter how far ahead the Red Sox might have been in August, no matter the score and inning of a game in October, the Yankees were going to win. And there was nothing we could do about it.

But that's over. It's been over since October 2004, when "Yankees suck" should have been put out to pasture. Shouting "Yankees suck" at Fenway Park today is like yelling "No Taxation Without Representation!" at Faneuil Hall.

Whatever you think of "Yankees suck," it used to mean something, but now it doesn't. It is mindless, as those who chant it often are. I was at Game 7 of the Celtics-Hawks playoff series, and when it became apparent that the C's would win, some in the crowd started chanting "Yankees suck."

"Dad," my oldest asked, "why are they saying that at a Celtics game?"

"Because," I replied, "they're too stupid to think up anything else."

Personally, I have never yelled "Yankees suck," just as I have never sung the chorus to "Sweet Caroline," or participated in The Wave. I have, I must admit, watched "Sox Appeal," the low-rent version of "The Dating Game," which takes place at Fenway Park during a Sox game.

But I watch that for laughs. Sort of like the way I watch the news. But, again, "Yankees suck" has never sprung from these virgin lips.

Now, sit back, and think long and hard for a moment. Have you ever said "Yankees suck"? Think of the people you have seen or heard saying this over the years. My experience has been that most people who shout "Yankees suck" are either drunk, obnoxious, or stupid and very often a combination of all three. They are an embarrassment to the rest of us, and their chant makes us look like a bunch of local yokels.

I know this will fall on deaf ears, and "Yankees suck" will be sung lustily all weekend in the bleachers and grandstand, then on Brookline Avenue as guys who have already had too much to drink mosey down to Kenmore Square, looking for more booze or a fight.

But if in this day and age you continue to yell "Yankees suck," it says a lot more about you than the team you think you're insulting.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like a good fan.

Unlike other Red Sock fans.....ahem......FF2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KellenIsTheFuture View Post
    Seems like a good fan.

Holy Crap. I want to shake this guys hand.

The only thing I hate about the Red Sox is the insane stroking from "the leader" that they get. They Yankees have remained the "evil empire" in the eyes of a lot of people and it's they Sox fans that drive me nuts. I think I said it in another thread there is only one Red Sock I hate, Jacoby Elsbury, he is seriously the most overrated young player in the game but yet "the leader" guys love him. ARGH!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    seems like he gets the Arod joke too...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy is clueless.

being a Boston native living in nyc, its not like yankee fans dont chant
    "Boston Sucks" every chance they get. Hell I can go to any Yankee game, when the sox are not playing and I guarantee you, you will hear that chant at least 10 times, either when a guy in a sox cap walks by, or they show the red sox score on the scoreboard, or just a random chant out of no where. I also heard it when I was at MSG for a Knicks/Cleveland game last year. Talk about out of no where.
    Of coarse the writer didn't think to bring up the "Boston Sucks" chants all over the place.

Its called being a fan, obviously neither franchise sucks or your wouldn't even care to start a chant, its all in good fun, and this guy needs to take the giant pole out of his #ss.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PETER PAT View Post
    This guy is clueless.

"Boston Sucks" every chance they get. Hell I can go to any Yankee game, when the sox are not playing and I guarantee you, you will hear that chant at least 10 times, either when a guy in a sox cap walks by, or they show the red sox score on the scoreboard, or just a random chant out of no where. I also heard it when I was at MSG for a Knicks/Cleveland game last year. Talk about out of no where.
    Of coarse the writer didn't think to bring up the "Boston Sucks" chants all over the place.

Its called being a fan, obviously neither franchise sucks or your wouldn't even care to start a chant, its all in good fun, and this guy needs to take the giant pole out of his #ss.

You heard a "Boston Sucks" chant at a Knicks/Cavs game?

I'm calling bullsh-t.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy is clueless.

There is soooooo much wrong with this post

1) This is almost as blatantly false as the Papelbon lie. It doesn't happen. Maybe a couple drunks chant it at a Yanks-Sox game, but it NEVER happens outside of that. I've lived in NY my whole life, have been to hundreds of sporting events and have heard it sparsley, and never, ever outside of a Sox-Yanks game.

2) This is such a laughably typical Boston fan response - rather than say, "yes, maybe he's right", you get the defensive "well, everyone else does it". I imagine you're a Manny and Spygate apologist, too.

3) It is not "being called a fan". A fan cheers for their team. An obsessed loser with an inferiority complex chants about a rival baseball team sucking at a football game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well you are both wrong, cause it happens all the time "boston Sucks" is the number one chant around NY. If you say you are not hearing it, you are either lying or you have no ears. I go to about 15 Yankee games per year that are not red Sox games, mainly taken my companies corporate seats. And there have yet to be a game I have gone to in the last 5 years where i do not hear it at leats once. And yes at the Knicks/Cavs game you heard. i am not sure why, the only thing i can think of is that someone was noticed in the stands with a Red Sox cap on, and people started chanting it, and than the whole section did, and you know the rest. But it did happen, and it happens all the time.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well you are both wrong, cause it happens all the time "boston Sucks" is the number one chant around NY.
    Wrong.

The number one chant around NY is "De-rek Je-ter."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well you are both wrong, cause it happens all the time "boston Sucks" is the number one chant around NY. If you say you are not hearing it, you are either lying or you have no ears. I go to about 15 Yankee games per year that are not red Sox games, mainly taken my companies corporate seats. And there have yet to be a game I have gone to in the last 5 years where i do not hear it at leats once. And yes at the Knicks/Cavs game you heard. i am not sure why, the only thing i can think of is that someone was noticed in the stands with a Red Sox cap on, and people started chanting it, and than the whole section did, and you know the rest. But it did happen, and it happens all the time.
    Your complex is so ingrained in your head, that you are actually hallucinating this chant in your mind. It's sad that you can't just enjoy the Sox' recent run, but instead incessantly whine about being "disrespected".

The main chants in NY are "Let's Go Yankees" and "J E T S JETS JETS JETS".

Sorry to disappoint your little head.

Besides, you still have yet to answer what the heck this scenario (even if true) has to do with the Boston fans who are clearly guilty of it at inappropriate times constantly. I mean, a Boston fan wrote this article.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KellenIsTheFuture View Post
    Seems like a good fan.

Another personal attack.

Didn't ANYONE read the new TOS???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

But Boston not only sucks, it swallows. What's the problem?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    But Boston not only sucks, it swallows. What's the problem?
    Personal attacks and name calling of any kind will not be tolerated on the JI Boards. Open debate is obviously welcomed and will be encouraged. Please debate somebody’s point of view in a respectful, non-confrontational manner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Personal attacks and name calling of any kind will not be tolerated on the JI Boards. Open debate is obviously welcomed and will be encouraged. Please debate somebody’s point of view in a respectful, non-confrontational manner.
    You'll never be a mod. Forget it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    R U serious.. NY doesn't give a crap about Boston until we play them..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    man Guido Monzino, i wanted to sing my yankees praises tonight. wet blanket.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Wrong.

The number one chant around NY is "De-rek Je-ter."
    Or the gayest

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yan-Kees Suck!