Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs call up Samardzija

Cubs call up Samardzija

A couple of months ago we were talking about how he was struggling in AA and whether or not he made the right choice on which sport to play professionally. Looks like he's pitched very well in AAA since...

CHICAGO (AP)—The Chicago Cubs called up right-hander Jeff Samardzija from Triple-A Iowa on Friday after placing closer Kerry Wood on the disabled list with a blister on his right index finger.

Samardzija, a former Notre Dame football star, was a starter in the minor leagues, going 7-6 with a 4.29 ERA for Iowa and Double-A Tennessee.

He made his final six minor league starts for Iowa, going 4-1 with a 3.13 ERA. He struck out 40 in 37 1-3 innings.

“We’re going to put him in the bullpen and probably use him in the middle to get his feet wet,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. “The sooner we get him in, the better. He’s throwing strikes and getting people out. We’ll give him a nice opportunity and see what he can do.”

Samardzija last pitched on Saturday against Nashville, allowing two hits and one walk in six innings. He also struck out nine and walked one.

“He’s stretched out,” Piniella said. “We can use him about any way we want, but I think the best way is to get him in the middle of the ballgame and if he’s pitching well, we can get him a little longer.”

Samardzija signed a $10 million, five-year contract with the Cubs in 2007 despite speculation that he could have been a first-round pick in the NFL draft.

“Middle of the summer in Chicago, you can’t really ask for anything else,” he said. Samardzija arrived in Chicago 6 a.m. Friday after flying out of Tucson, Ariz., and changing planes in Las Vegas.

“It doesn’t matter, I could have flown in about two minutes ago,” he said.

Wood’s placement on the DL was retroactive to July 14. He is eligible to be activated Tuesday at Milwaukee.

That's pretty cool. I watched a lot of Notre Dame games so it will be weird if I get to watch him pitch for the Cubs.

Yea, should be cool to see a two sport star playing out there. The days of the Bo Jacksons and Deion Sanders are over, but the Smardy could have played at a high level in the NFL as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Yea, should be cool to see a two sport star playing out there. The days of the Bo Jacksons and Deion Sanders are over, but the Smardy could have played at a high level in the NFL as well.
    Yea he was a very good receiver. He probably could have been at least a 2nd round pick.

The Shark is pitching against the Marlins right now.

K'd Amezega looking
    Hanley singled, stole second
    Gonzo flied out, Hanley to third
    Cantu RBI double
    Jacobs pops out

Welcome to the bigs.

He hit up to 98 on the gun.

Great arm.

I don't think he's very good. AAA is full of AAAA guys and players past their prime and still trying to make it, AA is where the good prospects play a good amount of time. They usually don't stick around AAA unless their someone on the major league level blocking them.

Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    He hit up to 98 on the gun.

Great arm.
    No idea he had that gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I don't think he's very good. AAA is full of AAAA guys and players past their prime and still trying to make it, AA is where the good prospects play a good amount of time. They usually don't stick around AAA unless their someone on the major league level blocking them.
    ignorant statement. That guy has a live arm, to say the least. He wasn't perfect today, but that arm is worth drooling over.

Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    ignorant statement. That guy has a live arm, to say the least. He wasn't perfect today, but that arm is worth drooling over.
    What's ignorant? that I don't think he's very good? In AA he threw 76 innings, 44 walks and ONLY 44 K's. Not very impressive. Mediocre, at best...

Joba Chamberlain's arm was worth drooling over, in the minors he had the numbers and the blazing fastball.

Hall Of Fame
    Touched 98 MPH, but he was erratic. I assume that was because of nerves.

Still, there are a ton of pitchers that throw hard and lack a good secondary pitch.

The last pitch Samardzija threw was a nasty slider at 84 MPH. If he can atleast throw this for a strike, he should be a good middle reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by KellenIsTheFuture View Post
    Touched 98 MPH, but he was erratic. I assume that was because of nerves.

Still, there are a ton of pitchers that throw hard and lack a good secondary pitch.

The last pitch Samardzija threw was a nasty slider at 84 MPH. If he can atleast throw this for a strike, he should be a good middle reliever.
    I'm not going to say I've seen this guy pitch a whole lot, bc I haven't, but look at the numbers... I don't see how someone in the minors with a 98 mph fastball can strike out so few batters. It must be straight as a board.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-25-2008 at 06:52 PM.

What's ignorant? that I don't think he's very good? In AA he threw 76 innings, 44 walks and ONLY 44 K's. Not very impressive. Mediocre, at best...

Joba Chamberlain's arm was worth drooling over, in the minors he had the numbers and the blazing fastball.
    how about judging a kid you've never seen, that seems ignorant.

Cubs have seen him and thought enough to bring him up to the show and he did not disappoint. Nothing wrong with being wrong now and then. You just look kind of silly stating that you think he isn't very good.

Dellin Betances must suck the big one, right?

Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    how about judging a kid you've never seen, that seems ignorant.

Cubs have seen him and thought enough to bring him up to the show and he did not disappoint. Nothing wrong with being wrong now and then. You just look kind of silly stating that you think he isn't very good.

Dellin Betances must suck the big one, right?
    Dellin Betances is 19 years old. Jeff S... 23? 24? Now that comparison is silly.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-25-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not going to say I've seen this guy pitch a whole lot, but he hasn't, but look at the numbers... I don't see how someone in the minors with a 98 mph fastball can strike out so few batters. It must be straight as a board.
    That is partly what I'm getting at-he is going to need a breaking ball.

I have no idea either if it's straight or not either. Even at 98 MPH, hitters can still easily hit if it's straight.

But since he is a reliever, it's not that big of a deal, if that slider is good. From what I saw, it's good, but inconsistent.

So, all in all I think he will struggle here in the MLB for a short while, but will eventually do good.

Dellin Betances is 19 years old. How is Jeff S... 23? 24? Now that comparison is silly.

but the thing is, for high end prospects like this guy, the minors aren't about just going out and blowing away the competition. He can be working mechanical issues, development of new pitches, etc...so his numbers may not look great.

But, he does have a rare arm and may be best suited as a short reliever if his control doesn't improve.

Quote Originally Posted by KellenIsTheFuture View Post
    That is partly what I'm getting at-he is going to need a breaking ball.

I have no idea either if it's straight or not either. Even at 98 MPH, hitters can still easily hit if it's straight.

But since he is a reliever, it's not that big of a deal, if that slider is good. From what I saw, it's good, but inconsistent.

So, all in all I think he will struggle here in the MLB for a short while, but will eventually do good.
    He's a starter, but seem like the Cubs are going to use him as a middle reliever.

Hall Of Fame
    He's a starter, but seem like the Cubs are going to use him as a middle reliever.
    Yeah, he isn't going to cut it as a starter.

Jeff Samardzija retired all six batters he faced, striking out three of them, to pick up a save in his second major league appearance on Sunday.

Hall Of Fame
    I was pretty impressed by him.

It seems that he has a splitter(maybe a slider, IDK) that has terrific movement.

Add that with his heat, he can be pretty good out of the Bullpen.