Thread: Balkmania traded

Balkmania traded

to denver for a combo of taueran green/bobby jones/2nd round pick(s)

according to theknicksblog.com

Both these guys will be cut according to rotoworld to save 1.3 mil. COnsider me now very skeptical of walsh. Everything he has done I have been critical of.

Why?

What happened to this franchise?

Rookie
    Are u kidding me

I can understand moving Balkman becuase he cant shoot but for salary cut? The Knicks cutting salary? WTF?

if you need another reason to hate this trade. I understand Balkman is a reserve guy. The Knicks opted not to cut Jerome James or Malik Rose and instead trade one fo the only guys who hustles and plays defense

All League
    This would seem to solidify Marbury's place of the team. What's the point of giving up Balkmania for nothing if you were already going to cut Marbury? The only possibility now would be a trade, which would require the Knicks to take on contracts - illogical at this point.

All Pro
    They are clearing out cap space. Pure and simple. He apparently doesn't fit with D'Antoni's planned system either so he was expendable.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    They are clearing out cap space. Pure and simple. He apparently doesn't fit with D'Antoni's planned system either so he was expendable.
    Right, he's a high energy player, but he doesn't have the offensive talent to pull up for a jumper or consistently play the fast break.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    That's the thinking. Doesn't necessarily make it right. Balkman didn't have a big contract and like others have said he hustled and played defense. Apparently Wilson Chandler is having a big summer league so I guess him or Gallinari or (ugh) Richardson is going to start at the 3.

So far for Walsh I've really liked the Duhon signing, not crazy about the Gallinari pick but willing to give it a chance and I'm a little baffled by Balkman.

Very strange trade IMO. He seems like he'd be one of the last guys on the team that you would trade if the object was dumping salaries.

Pretty sure James has a player option for next year which he'll definitely pick up, as noone else is going to pay him 6 million plus in 2009. Besides, they're still trying to convince him to retire. Rose's expiring contract should have some value when the deadline hits, so I get not jettisoning him just yet.

Honestly if you look at the roster and consider D'Antoni's system, Balkman was the most expendable forward (sans Jeffries, but noone's taking him), and Donnie had to get rid of one of them to get the roster down. Good bench player with obvious upside (who I've always been a big fan of), but let's be honest, it's not like we just traded away Dennis Rodman here.

I mean come on, this team isn't in need of good bench players guys, they're just not. Anything that helps clear cap space in an effort to get quality starters down the road is a good move at this point as long as it doesn't involve maybe 1 or 2 guys.

Fwiw, Q-Rich is supposedly in great shape and looking solid. Don't forget that he can be effective when focused, and he went through an awful lot of personal stuff the past few years, (brother murdered, broken engagement...etc.).
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 07-29-2008 at 09:25 AM.

FYI knicks have no 1st round draft pick in 2010 because of the marbury trade.........

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson80 View Post
    FYI knicks have no 1st round draft pick in 2010 because of the marbury trade.........
    Seriously?

Where'd you hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Seriously?

Where'd you hear that?
    Pretty sure that's true. We gave up 2 first rounders in the Marbury trade and I can't recall one other pick other than '04 that we gave up to them.

Doesn't really matter for '10 anyways, draft picks are the last thing to worry about for that offseason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    Pretty sure that's true. We gave up 2 first rounders in the Marbury trade and I can't recall one other pick other than '04 that we gave up to them.

Doesn't really matter for '10 anyways, draft picks are the last thing to worry about for that offseason.
    Yep, I just check that out as well. Utah owns the pick:

http://realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php#utah

It's top 22 protected in 2009 and unprotected in 2010.

Goodness gracious!

Is there anyway for Isiah Thomas to be arrested for criminal negligence in what he did to this franchise?

And, I have to disagree with you on worrying about the the 2010 pick. Unless the Knicks get out of the lottery for 2010, that would be another lottery pick gone.

Ultimately, if the Knicks get a big time FA in 2010, the lack of a 1st rounder would not be seen as a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Yep, I just check that out as well. Utah owns the pick:

http://realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php#utah

It's top 22 protected in 2009 and unprotected in 2010.

Goodness gracious!

Is there anyway for Isiah Thomas to be arrested for criminal negligence in what he did to this franchise?

And, I have to disagree with you on worrying about the the 2010 pick. Unless the Knicks get out of the lottery for 2010, that would be another lottery pick gone.

Ultimately, if the Knicks get a big time FA in 2010, the lack of a 1st rounder would not be seen as a big issue.
    Ah, but you see, I don't expect this team to be in the lottery in 2010, hence my easy-going attitude towards the whole situation.

Also, we're getting a big time FA in 2010, whether it's Lebron or not. The free agent list for that season is insane.

http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2010/

Aside from Bosh, Lebron, and Wade, there's a plethora of All-Stars (and future ones) there. Don't underestimate just how bad of an owner Sarver is. Amare is definitely a realistic option for that year, as is Caron considering there's no way Washington's going to be able to pay him with what they just shelled out to Arenas and Jamison. There's a ton of dudes from the '07 drafts who are going to be RFA's too.

By the way, when you're really wondering just how bad of a legacy Isiah's left here, think about it this way:

When was the last time you cursed Scott Layden under your breath?

I don't even remember the last time I b-tched about Layden. And that's how bad Isiah was. He made people forget about Scott Layden. It does NOT get worse than that.

F him, although I will say I think Donnie's doing a fantastic job so far with what he was given to work with. It's clear he's focused on building the roster in '08 and '09 around Chandler and Danillo, which is exactly what I wanted when last season ended (granted Danillo wasn't on the roster, but it was clear that Chandler and whatever draft pick they made were going to be their two biggest assets).
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 07-30-2008 at 09:37 AM.

I honestly have ZERO loyalty to any of the knicks on last year's roster. clean house, get rid of all Isaih's crap that replaced Layden's crap.