Thread: City Council and Ripoff by city

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

City Council and Ripoff by city

My city has decided to institute a No parking on the street rule and begin charging people for permits to do so.

The No Parking is from 2am to 5am in the morning.

I called the city and was told it was for street sweeping...Wrong! First street cleaning only occurs once a week, not every night and it happens DURING THE DAY! not early morning.

So I went to the city council meeting to voice my opposition and gain clarity as to why they have decided to enact this ordinance. I stated it was just another way for the city to gain revenue by forcing people to buy a permit to park in front of their own house.

I was then told it was to "reduce crime"....so I followed up with "Do you have any statistics to show that parked cars on the street from 2-5am in the morning increase crime?" No direct answer....only "well most crime occurs in the city late at night." So then I asked "and you think a permit is the answer to deter the alleged increase in crime by parked cars? Let's just call it what it is, a way for the city to increase taxes disguised as a "crime prevention" program."

With that they asked me to leave...wtf?

What is the next step? Any ideas? the permit will cost $120 per year...and I don't want to pay it out of principle.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a money maker pure and simple. They will get your money and any poor outsider who parks on the street ie tickets galore.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just call it TaxACali, Free healthcare for illegal immigrants must be paid for somehow!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=CaliJetsFan;2652349]My city has decided to institute a No parking on the street rule and begin charging people for permits to do so.

The No Parking is from 2am to 5am in the morning.

I called the city and was told it was for street sweeping...Wrong! First street cleaning only occurs once a week, not every night and it happens DURING THE DAY! not early morning.

So I went to the city council meeting to voice my opposition and gain clarity as to why they have decided to enact this ordinance. I stated it was just another way for the city to gain revenue by forcing people to buy a permit to park in front of their own house.

I was then told it was to "reduce crime"....so I followed up with "Do you have any statistics to show that parked cars on the street from 2-5am in the morning increase crime?" No direct answer....only "well most crime occurs in the city late at night." So then I asked "and you think a permit is the answer to deter the alleged increase in crime by parked cars? Let's just call it what it is, a way for the city to increase taxes disguised as a "crime prevention" program."

With that they asked me to leave...wtf?

What is the next step? Any ideas? the permit will cost $120 per year...and I don't want to pay it out of principle.[/quote]

There is no next step. Unless you have some unique provisions in your charter, odds are the city council is fully allowed to institute the no parking rule.

On the other hand, you can try to take it to your local newspapers and rally people against it. At this point, negative publicity is the only tool you have

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious.

Did they have any public hearings?

Make a giant stink about it.
    Get all the pissed off people together and let yourselves be heard.
    Have as many people that you can find call your elected officials and tell them what you think about it. Also, tell them you won't forget about it election time.
    ...................................................................................................

Or.......
    Maybe you have a bad foot or something and you need .........
    OH.......... say a handicap sticker.

OK, I know it's bad, but I just couldn't help it!:D

Good Luck