Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 99

Thread: Melky for Washburn, Just do it

  1. #1

    Melky for Washburn, Just do it

    I'm so tired of Yankee fans over-rating Melky Cabrera .. GOT MELK .. please, this man is the defintion of a 4th OF

    I never saw people get so excited over nothing .. the melk man delivers .. spare me!

    This Guy is a Joke, its ridiculous to attach slogans to such a mediocre ball player, it makes us look ridiculous

    Bottom line, if that's what it takes to secure Jerrod Washburn, a straight swap, Melky for Washburn?

    I would do that deal in a NY minute

    That little bald dude we just sent back to AAA can play defense in CF same as Melky, and he can be a #9 hitter too, which is what Melky really is, bottom of the order hitter who gives you some defense in CF

    The little bald kid can do that too
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-29-2008 at 08:40 AM.

  2. #2
    PS. I don't want to revisit old news, its water on the bridge now, but the real mistake was not trading Hughes and Melky for Johan Santana when we had a chance .. how assinine does that decision look now?

    Could have had Johan Santana for a 4th OF and an SP who spends as much time on the DL as Carl Pavano

    I mean this kid is Pavono'esque in that he suffers weird injuries for no apparent reason, like he throws a ball and cracks a rib or stumbles off the mound and sprains his ankle, then like Pavano his injuries heal slower than 120 Year old man, everytime he gets injured its like, cya in three to four months

    How are you supposed to build a rotation around that

    Anyway, that's neither here nor there, what's done is done, now if we can trade that Glorified 4th Outfielder for Jerrod Washburn I say do it immediately, today, before Rasner and Ponson get another turn through the rotation

    JMO
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-29-2008 at 08:55 AM.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I'm so tired of Yankee fans over-rating Melky Cabrera .. GOT MELK .. please, this man is the defintion of a 4th OF

    I never saw people get so excited over nothing .. the melk man delivers .. spare me!

    This Guy is a Joke, its ridiculous to attach slogans to such a mediocre ball player, it makes us look ridiculous

    Bottom line, if that's what it takes to secure Jerrod Washburn, a straight swap, Melky for Washburn?

    I would do that deal in a NY minute

    That little bald dude we just sent back to AAA can play defense in CF same as Melky, and he can be a #9 hitter too, which is what Melky really is, bottom of the order hitter who gives you some defense in CF

    The little bald kid can do that too
    I am not a big fan if Melky other then his defense but he is currently the Yankees best option in centerfield for 2008. I agree Melky is a 4th or 5th OF. Washburn is a back of the rotation pitcher not sure knowing the Yankee roster limitations I would do Melky for Washburn.

    </IMG>

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post

    I am not a big fan if Melky other then his defense but he is currently the Yankees best option in centerfield for 2008. I agree Melky is a 4th or 5th OF. Washburn is a back of the rotation pitcher not sure knowing the Yankee roster limitations I would do Melky for Washburn.
    What's up with Austin Jackson, Boynton .. any chance he can make the jump from AA to the majors?

    I mean I know he's not totally prepared as a hitter, but I believe he's a plus defensive CF, the only question is can he do enough with the bat to hit 9th or is even that too much to ask at this stage of the game?

  5. #5
    Dan Giese > Washburn

    Plus Giese is on the team already, which will cost the Yankees NOTHING!

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    Quote Originally Posted by METER View Post
    Dan Giese > Washburn

    Plus Giese is on the team already, which will cost the Yankees NOTHING!
    Is that you Max?

    Kellerman was saying the same thing. Tough call, but it would save money.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    What's up with Austin Jackson, Boynton .. any chance he can make the jump from AA to the majors?

    I mean I know he's not totally prepared as a hitter, but I believe he's a plus defensive CF, the only question is can he do enough with the bat to hit 9th or is even that too much to ask at this stage of the game?
    Not sure I would want him to start in the middle of a pennant race. Do you think it might be better for him to earn that spot during spring training.


    I understand your point, I do not think losing Melky would cause us to lose any offense. I am kind of sick of Melky's undiscplined approach at the plate, but I love his glove and he rarely makes rookie mistakes in the outfield.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    Is that you Max?

    Kellerman was saying the same thing. Tough call, but it would save money.
    That's where I heard it, it makes total sense though. Why bring in a mediocre starter when you could possibly fill the whole with one of your own like Rasner (Although Rasner's run seems over).

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    I can understand the argument for not trading Melky but....

    Seattle had asked for either Melky Cabrera or Brett Gardner for Washburn, according to a source, but the Yankees had no intention of moving either of them for a pitcher who is due to earn roughly $14 million between now and the end of 2009.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...out_for-1.html

    why the hell would you not package Gardner up and ship him out?

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,185
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    I can understand the argument for not trading Melky but....

    Seattle had asked for either Melky Cabrera or Brett Gardner for Washburn, according to a source, but the Yankees had no intention of moving either of them for a pitcher who is due to earn roughly $14 million between now and the end of 2009.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...out_for-1.html

    why the hell would you not package Gardner up and ship him out?

    The Yankees feel by taking on $14 million from the Mariners is enough.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    Quote Originally Posted by METER View Post
    That's where I heard it, it makes total sense though. Why bring in a mediocre starter when you could possibly fill the whole with one of your own like Rasner (Although Rasner's run seems over).
    I agree, I wish we gave Giese some starts earlier to see though.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    I agree, I wish we gave Giese some starts earlier to see though.
    Very true.

    Plus, if the Yankees do trade Melky down the road, I think we could get more value for him other than Washburn.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    Quote Originally Posted by METER View Post
    Very true.

    Plus, if the Yankees do trade Melky down the road, I think we could get more value for him other than Washburn.
    Thats a good good point.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by METER View Post

    Very true.

    Plus, if the Yankees do trade Melky down the road, I think we could get more value for him other than Washburn.
    I respect your opinions, Meter, but I don't know what makes you think that?

    Would you trade more than Jerrod Washburn for Melky Cabrera?

    Seriously, would you?

    If not, what makes you think anyone else will?

    Under the circumstances {Washburn > Ponson/Rasner} I think Washburn is decent value for a 4th OF {talent wise}
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-29-2008 at 10:20 AM.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    Kellerman just brought up a good point.

    What about next year? Where does Washburn fit into the rotation next year?

    1. Wang
    2. Joba
    3. Hughes/Kennedy
    4. Pettite(Comes back for the new stadium)
    5. And you'd assume they'd pick up a blue chip pitcher this off season.

    Obviously you can't rely on Hughes or Kennedy. But I do believe that either Pettite or Moose will return next season.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,970
    The problem is that, actual value aside, Melky is far more valuable to the Yanks than his #s bear out. Not because of his ability, but because they have absolutely no other CF until 2010. Jackson has yet to play above AA and is still quite raw, having only 2 seasons of full-time baseball under his belt. Gardner isn't ready and/or good. Its absolutely terrible that Cashman went into the season with basically no backup plan for a player who has clearly been declining rather than improving.

    But that said, knowing that, Cashman isn't going to trade away his starting CF for a 5th starter making way way way over his value. Its got nothing to do with overrating Melky or Washburn's (lack of ) value, and the simple fact that the Yanks can't trade Melky without getting a CF back...

    As for trading Gardner, well, I don't think the Yanks want to give up on him with Melky being what he is.

    But the fact of the matter is that Washburn is getting paid a ton this year and next for being relatively mediocre, as he generally has been his entire career. Is he an improvement over Ponson? Sure, but so would I be. Is he an improvement over Rasner? Not by too much, and certainly not for that price.

    If the Mariner's really want to get rid of him and the money he is owed, fine, for nothing but cash and perhaps a filler "prospect," the Yanks should gladly take him on. But for anything more, he's simply not worth it. The Yanks would be better served going into next year with Joba, resigning Moose and Pettitte for a year, signing CC, and trying Hughes/Kennedy again with Acevas et al ready to step up...

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    They way he's going, I'd like to see Kennedy get another shot with the big club. He's been lights out since going back down, and it's not like he's that old. Give him 2 starts and see what happens.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I respect your opinions, Meter, but I don't know what makes you think that?

    Would you trade more than Jerrod Washburn for Melky Cabrera?

    Seriously, would you?

    If not, what makes you think anyone else will?

    Under the circumstances {Washburn > Ponson/Rasner} I think Washburn is decent value for a 4th OF {talent wise}
    Melky has value. A real good #4 outfielder, with the arm and range to play all 3 OF spots. Probably the only guy on the team with a pluys arm from the OF. Making very low money.

    Or a guy with a 4.5 ERA who isn't used to NY, who will get $$ next year.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    PS. I don't want to revisit old news, its water on the bridge now, but the real mistake was not trading Hughes and Melky for Johan Santana when we had a chance .. how assinine does that decision look now?

    Could have had Johan Santana for a 4th OF and an SP who spends as much time on the DL as Carl Pavano

    I mean this kid is Pavono'esque in that he suffers weird injuries for no apparent reason, like he throws a ball and cracks a rib or stumbles off the mound and sprains his ankle, then like Pavano his injuries heal slower than 120 Year old man, everytime he gets injured its like, cya in three to four months

    How are you supposed to build a rotation around that

    Anyway, that's neither here nor there, what's done is done, now if we can trade that Glorified 4th Outfielder for Jerrod Washburn I say do it immediately, today, before Rasner and Ponson get another turn through the rotation

    JMO
    I agree, we all fell in love with potential, how often is a proven ace up for grabs? I miss George, ya know he would have done the deal... Santana>better than any one on the Yanks staff.(Joba our potential #1)

    We Blew it... Melky= JAG

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    They way he's going, I'd like to see Kennedy get another shot with the big club. He's been lights out since going back down, and it's not like he's that old. Give him 2 starts and see what happens.
    He's only one year out of college.

    And I think Kennedy will be back up this year, especially if this Washburn trade doesn't go through. Kennedy has been pitching very good in the minors so far and showed he could perform in the Bigs at the end of last season. His biggest problem was that he never had to deal with failure. Hopefully he learned from his start this year and comes back prepared.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us