Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brewers are killing CC Sabathia's arm

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Brewers are killing CC Sabathia's arm

4 complete games and the last game 124 pitches.

They have this guy for a couple months, and are getting every penny out of him. It'll be interesting to see what this does to him for next year, when someone is paying him 20 million per year.

Just my 2 cents, watch for the Rangers to go hard after him. Great offense, good market, desperately need a pitcher, low cost of living, no state income tax.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, this is very interesting. The Brewers know they have no shot at him next year and you have to think if they had signed him to a long term deal they would be much more careful with him like the Mets and Santana. I wonder how he feels about it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadLover View Post
    Yes, this is very interesting. The Brewers know they have no shot at him next year and you have to think if they had signed him to a long term deal they would be much more careful with him like the Mets and Santana. I wonder how he feels about it.
    Thats what I was thinking, he can't really speak out against it, kinda just has to take it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    Thats what I was thinking, he can't really speak out against it, kinda just has to take it.
    Exactly. And on the one hand it could help him get a huge deal next year but some people may worry about the beating his arm takes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post

They have this guy for a couple months, and are getting every penny out of him. It'll be interesting to see what this does to him for next year, when someone is paying him 20 million per year.

Just my 2 cents, watch for the Rangers to go hard after him. Great offense, good market, desperately need a pitcher, low cost of living, no state income tax.
    Great point

I guess the Brew Crew is trying to get full value of CC before he signs elsewhere next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadLover View Post
    Exactly. And on the one hand it could help him get a huge deal next year but some people may worry about the beating his arm takes.
    Speaking out won't help his value next year either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    Speaking out won't help his value next year either.
    Sorry, I meant that having him show he is a workhorse may help his value, not complaining.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    124 pitches is not really that much. Seriosly the histeria over pitch counts drives me nuts. These guys can handle far more than that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    124 pitches is not really that much. Seriosly the histeria over pitch counts drives me nuts. These guys can handle far more than that.
    In 5 starts, he has more complete games than the Yankees have all season.

I just think it will be interesting to see what this does to him next year. Some people have the great mechanics, and the rubber arm, and it has nothing to do with being 180 pounds or 310 pounds. David Wells had it.

I would love him on the Yanks next year. Not just for his winning, but his ability to eat innings, and save the bullpen. CC + healthy CMW gives the Yankees 2 pitchers who can go 8 or 9 innings, and give the pen days off. Add that to an emerging Joba and Pettite/Moose and you should have 4 pitchers who will not overstretch the pen.

10 years ago, teams had 9 or 10 man bullpens, now they have 11 or 12 man pens. That means less depth on the bench, one less outfielder, or defensive replacement, or a quality pinch runner who can score from second on a shallow single.

That's a bit of a ramble, I just thought it was interesting how much the Brew Crew was using CC for their couple of months.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont blame the Brewers at all. It isnt their problem.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Dont blame the Brewers at all. It isnt their problem.
    I don't blame them. It's what I would do. I'm just making a point that they are using their player for all he is worth, and I wonder if it will impact him next year at all.

Nope, Brewers got him, are using him, and will let him go and collect their 2 first round draft picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

As a Cubs fan, I say let him throw!

Cubs on the other hand are babying Harden too much and pulling him after five innings. He's started three games and has better stats than C.C., yet he doesn't have a win to show for it thanks to the bungling relievers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y View Post
    As a Cubs fan, I say let him throw!

Cubs on the other hand are babying Harden too much and pulling him after five innings. He's started three games and has better stats than C.C., yet he doesn't have a win to show for it thanks to the bungling relievers.
    That's where the real value of a CC or Roy Halliday is. They may not be #1 in ERA, but they go deep into games, and either finish it themselves, or get it to the closer/ 8th inning guy. Not alot of ND for those guys.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, CC arm is not burning out.... He threw 106 pitches in one complete game, he threw 110 in another, and 122 in one. So he only really threw a lot in 1 of those, CC is a horse anyways. He is able to keep his pitch count down to go deep into games, and can throw 120 pitches a lot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's where the real value of a CC or Roy Halliday is. They may not be #1 in ERA, but they go deep into games, and either finish it themselves, or get it to the closer/ 8th inning guy. Not alot of ND for those guys.
    He looks like he's having a lot of fun. Who know? Maybe he'll stay. The Brewers have one hell of an explosive lineup, too bad most of thier stars will be leaving.

It's amazing how similar the Brewers and Cubs are. I'd say they're tied, offensively and pitching. Both have deep starting rotations and pretty iffy relief.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y View Post
    He looks like he's having a lot of fun. Who know? Maybe he'll stay. The Brewers have one hell of an explosive lineup, too bad most of thier stars will be leaving.

It's amazing how similar the Brewers and Cubs are. I'd say they're tied, offensively and pitching. Both have deep starting rotations and pretty iffy relief.
    Brewers dont have nearly enogh money to commit to what he'll get.

He's either heading out west like he personally wants or taking the Yankees green.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed completely. The way the Brewers are using him would scare me out of giving him a real long term contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's averaging 111.8 pitches a start, only about 4 more then the 107.5 he was averaging with the Indians this season. Sabathia's always been a high workload guy, averaging 105.4/Gm in 2007 and 104.9/Gm in 2006.

I should probably be a little more concerned about this, but historically speaking large-framed pitchers fare better to excessive workloads then smaller-framed pitchers, so perhaps it's not as big a deal as we're making it out to be.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    and you know this.. how?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    and you know this.. how?
    Look at history. Pitchers are not any more durable than they were in the 60s and 70s. They get hurt just as often if not more so but they pitch less. How were pitchers throwing 300+ innings and now some are limited to less than 200? It really isn't logical or effective.