Thread: Felons Fight for Gun Rights In Wake of DC Ruling

Felons Fight for Gun Rights In Wake of DC Ruling

You guys think this has any legs?

At the very least it could tie up our courts for a while....

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-07-19-guns-legal-challenges_N.htm[/url]

here is just a snippet, click the link for the complete article

[QUOTE]Guns ruling spurs legal challenges by felons

WASHINGTON (AP) Twice convicted of felonies, James Francis Barton Jr. faces charges of violating a federal law barring felons from owning guns after police found seven pistols, three shotguns and five rifles at his home south of Pittsburgh.

As a defense, Barton and several other defendants in federal gun cases argue that last month's Supreme Court ruling allows them to keep loaded handguns at home for self-defense.

"Felons, such as Barton, have the need and the right to protect themselves and their families by keeping firearms in their home," says David Chontos, Barton's court-appointed lawyer.

Chontos and other criminal defense lawyers say the high court's decision means federal laws designed to keep guns out of the hands of people convicted of felonies and crimes of domestic violence are unconstitutional as long as the weapons are needed for self-defense.

So far, federal judges uniformly have agreed these restrictions are unchanged by the Supreme Court's landmark interpretation of the Second Amendment.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=piney;2655091]You guys think this has any legs?[/QUOTE]

I hope not.

The Supreme Court backed the idea of reasonable restrictions in it's ruling, and I find barring felons from ownership to be an appropriate use of "fair and reasonable restrictions".

As with many of our Freedoms and Rights, someone who consciously chooses to break the law must live with the repurcussions of those actions.

My only caveat here would be that I would only bar violent felons. I could be persuaded to bar all felons, but the violent ones are the ones I would worry most about.

Banned
    If we put resrictions on guns where the hell are criminals supposed to get all there firepower from? Just sayin.

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;2655138]If we put resrictions on guns where the hell are criminals supposed to get all there firepower from? Just sayin.[/QUOTE]

What makes you think a criminal would care about a restrictions in the first place?

Yes, he's willing to rob a bank and kill people to get away.....but a gun law, WHOA! That, he'll follow.

Just sayin.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2655141]What makes you think a criminal would care about a restrictions in the first place?

Yes, he's willing to rob a bank and kill people to get away.....but a gun law, WHOA! That, he'll follow.

Just sayin.[/QUOTE]

I think Mob hitmen should have the same rights as ordinary citizens to buy cheap guns, bullets and semi-automatic weapons at Wal-Mart. They have a job to do just like everyone else.

Goddamn liberal elitists trying to keep the working-class white man down.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2655141]What makes you think a criminal would care about a restrictions in the first place?

Just sayin.[/QUOTE]

Ummm, I think he was making a joke. :yes::yes:

How are these felons getting these guns to put in their homes? It is still illegal for a felon to purchase a gun. I do not think there will be too many friends and family standing up in court telling the Judge they bought the gun for the felon.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2655136]I hope not.

The Supreme Court backed the idea of reasonable restrictions in it's ruling, and I find barring felons from ownership to be an appropriate use of "fair and reasonable restrictions".

As with many of our Freedoms and Rights, someone who consciously chooses to break the law must live with the repurcussions of those actions.

My only caveat here would be that I would only bar violent felons. I could be persuaded to bar all felons, but the violent ones are the ones I would worry most about.[/QUOTE]

I agree but what other rights should also be restricted then?

voting?