Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 08-09

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    LOL.

I guess we should just PM each other. No one else gives a **** what goes on in here.
    Lets not go that far, I read this for my Olympiakos CL Info.

Even though we got bounced by Anorthosis. I still don't believe it. We sucked it up so bad it hurts.

The only thing I can do now is root against Panatha with every fiber of my being.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Porto manhandled the sewerbirds 3-1, so CL has started out well for us.

Here's hoping for another 0 point debacle from the buttwipes.

AG, what's the story of Pana-Olimpiacos? I love a good derby with history behind it, do you have something like a class thing like river-boca, or a religious thing like rangers-celtic?

Or do you just hate each other because it's fun and the others are the scum of the earth like Galatasaray-Fenerbahçe?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Porto manhandled the sewerbirds 3-1, so CL has started out well for us.

Here's hoping for another 0 point debacle from the buttwipes.

AG, what's the story of Pana-Olimpiacos? I love a good derby with history behind it, do you have something like a class thing like river-boca, or a religious thing like rangers-celtic?

Or do you just hate each other because it's fun and the others are the scum of the earth like Galatasaray-Fenerbahçe?
    During 90% of the rivalry OSFP was the working class team. We're from Piraeus which is the outter section of Athens by the sea. Piraeus is mainly a working class area.

The green rabbits are from central Athens and represent the upper class.

Although OSFP is more working class and the rabbits are a little more upper class, it's almost even nowadays. Both have a lot of fans in both catagory's.

In 1967 when the military junta took over Greece they HEAVILY favored the rabbits and put down OSFP every chance that got.

Here's some more reading if you're interested:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...-panathinaikos

The Greens absolutely hate the Red-Whites; and the Red-Whites absolutely hate the Greens. Whenever they meet, you are almost certain, frenzied fans and riots are not so uncommon. Sadly, there have deaths and riots during derbies between the two. For days, the city of Athens and Greece as a whole come to a stand still. What happens on the pitch very much determines what happens on the border of the two areas.

As in Buenos Aires, this is more than a football rivalry. It's a cultural, and economical. A battle between the working and upper class.For those reasons and more, the rivalry between Olympiacos and Panathinaikos is one of the great rivalries of world football.

--------------------------

Olympiakos, is the Greek team with the biggest fan base according to most of the polls that have been conducted in Greece. The Reds coming from the port of Athens, Piraeus, was the team of the working class. Since the 1950s when Olympiakos was dominant, winning consecutive titles, their popularity increased throughout Greece and their fan base was enlarged, to become the most well supported football club. In addition to this, Olympiakos attracted fans from all the social classes and their fan base changed enough.

Several newspapers and magazines have conducted polls during the last decade, which - more or less - give Olympiakos as the most popular team, with a varying 29-37% among the fans in Greece, which corresponds to around two and a half millions of supporters. According to these polls, Olympiakos is the most popular in the working class, while they are the most supported team in the Athens-Piraeus metropolitan area, Central Greece, the Peloponnese and Thessaly. In terms of politics, the vast majority of Olympiakos fans comes from the center-right and center-left of the political spectrum.

Olympiakos and FK Crvena Zvezda fans have developed a deep friendship. The fans of both teams have begun to call themselves the "Orthodox Brothers". Many times Olympiakos supporters from several fan-clubs have attended Crvena Zvezda's matches, especially against their old rival FK Partizan, and vice-versa. More recently, the Orthodox Brothers have started to include fans of FC Spartak Moscow.

Rivalries

Olympiakos' main rival is Panathinaikos, in the so-called derby of the eternal enemies. Each game between these two clubs splits Athens and the whole of Greece in two. The rivalry is based on the social status of the fan bases and the fact that these are the most successful Greek clubs in football and the Greek sports in general. Olympiakos used to represent the working class while Panathinaikos the upper class. Now the fan bases of both are almost similar. This derby is considered the classic derby of the capital and Greece, and exists in basketball, volleyball, water polo and other sports. Many times some violent incidents between the fans of the two sides have occurred, like the death of Mihalis Filopoulos, a Panathinaikos fan, in a clash of hooligans supporting the two clubs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post, thanks AG.

The great rivalries are what I love most about sports. The feeling of pure euphoria and even the utter despair that comes with being a part of such intense rivalry is just amazing. That's why I always try to find out about the different rivalries in the world, my ultimate fantasy is to watch as many of those as I can.

It must be weird for you being a Jet fan and being a Pana hater with the green-white connection. I can never bring myself to root for a yellow and navy blue team.

I could never pick between you guys, Olimpiacos has better colors but Pana does have some great fans IMHO, "Horto Magico" is probably the best chant thats out there. I don't understand a word of it but even though it still gets me pumped up every time...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We missed the first matchday but for anyone that's still interested a Fantasy CL game similar to the one we played in the Euro's is here:

http://en.uclfantasy.uefa.com/

the password is 192897-31383

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man this is a classic:

The Background the buttwipes across the straites got demolished by Arsenal 5-2 last night. They have also been having an all around ****ty season and the new TD Luis Aragones has come under intense pressure from the fans and media. However the buttwipes' president is declaring his support (a.k.a. man love...yes homo) for the over the hill spaniard.

Todays football daily Fanatik's front cover... It reads "Those who think Aragones shold be kept as Fenerbahce's TD, please raise your fingers"(In Turkey you're tought to raise you finger and not your hand for some reason)

pricelesss

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

The Background the buttwipes across the straites got demolished by Arsenal 5-2 last night. They have also been having an all around ****ty season and the new TD Luis Aragones has come under intense pressure from the fans and media. However the buttwipes' president is declaring his support (a.k.a. man love...yes homo) for the over the hill spaniard.

Todays football daily Fanatik's front cover... It reads "Those who think Aragones shold be kept as Fenerbahce's TD, please raise your fingers"(In Turkey you're tought to raise you finger and not your hand for some reason)

pricelesss
    Geez that woman looks scary

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Missed the match due to class but Arsenal keeps fielding teams full of babies. Oldest player ever on the pitch is 27. I havent been able to track them as much as past years since the Mets ruined my joy of sports. Nice to see them put themselves in good positions in the CL with wins over Porto and the 'Sewerbirds' though.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

pricelesss

LOL, that is hilarious

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    the 'Sewerbirds' .
    amen...preach the word...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post, thanks AG.

The great rivalries are what I love most about sports. The feeling of pure euphoria and even the utter despair that comes with being a part of such intense rivalry is just amazing. That's why I always try to find out about the different rivalries in the world, my ultimate fantasy is to watch as many of those as I can.

It must be weird for you being a Jet fan and being a Pana hater with the green-white connection. I can never bring myself to root for a yellow and navy blue team.

I could never pick between you guys, Olimpiacos has better colors but Pana does have some great fans IMHO, "Horto Magico" is probably the best chant thats out there. I don't understand a word of it but even though it still gets me pumped up every time...
    Without getting into specifics, I can guarantee you OSFP has the better fans. Even some PAO fans will admit this, most won't but still some will.

Horto Magico is cool, BUT it only sounds cool if you're in a basketball arena. Every time they do it on a pitch it sounds less fierce. I don't want to sounds bitter, which I'm not, but anyone can make a chant sound cool in a basketball arena with 20,000 people. But it is a bad ass chant; nonetheless.

As for what they say, my Greek is a little rusty. They sing about how PAO is a drug to them and how much they love PAO and that they will follow them anywhere. <-----Which isn't true

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once again liverpool are bailed out in the champions league at anfield by a crap refereeing decision

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The CL draw:

Chelsea-Juventus

Villarreal-Panathinaikos

Sporting-Bayern Münih

Atletico Madrid-Porto

Lyon-Barcelona

Real Madrid-Liverpool

Arsenal-Roma

Inter-Manchester United

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The CL draw:

Chelsea-Juventus

Villarreal-Panathinaikos

Sporting-Bayern Münih

Atletico Madrid-Porto

Lyon-Barcelona

Real Madrid-Liverpool

Arsenal-Roma

Inter-Manchester United
    Call it

Chelsea-Juventus => Juve
    Vallareal-Pana => Villareal
    Sporting-Bayern => Bayern
    Atletico-Porto => I have no idea what Porto's up to, but I don't trust Atletico. Porto
    Lyon-Barca => Barca. Lyon's defense is in shambles
    Real-Liverpool => Liverpool
    Arse-Roma => Roma
    Inter-Manchester => ManU

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call it
    Chelsea-Juventus => Juve
    Villareal-Pana => Villareal
    Atletico-Porto => Atletico
    Lyon-Barca => Barca.
    Real-Liverpool => Real
    Arse-Roma => Arsenal
    Inter-Manchester => ManU

I like Barca or Juve to win it this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chelsea-Juventus => Juve
    Atletico-Porto => Atletico
    Lyon-Barca => Barca.
    Real-Liverpool =>Liverpool
    Arse-Roma => Roma Tough call neither team is playing well right now.
    Inter-Manchester => ManU[/quote]

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    There will be some great games to be seen, they are best of two correct with home and away goals?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes.

If tied, away goals count double.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call it

Chelsea-Juventus => Juve
    Atletico-Porto => I have no idea what Porto's up to, but I don't trust Atletico. Porto
    Lyon-Barca => Barca. Lyon's defense is in shambles
    Real-Liverpool => Liverpool
    Arse-Roma => Roma
    Inter-Manchester => ManU
    Chelsea
    Villareal
    Bayern
    Atletico
    Barca
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Manu