Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 08-09

this is a little late as the first leg has already happened but I"ll give it a go anyway

Chelsea-Juventus => Forza la Juve, they win 2-nil in extra time
    Vallareal-Pana => Villareal, Forza Giuseppe Rossi!
    Sporting-Bayern => Bayern, Forza Luca Toni!
    Atletico-Porto => Atletico
    Lyon-Barca => screw Barca, Lyon with the big upset
    Real-Liverpool =>Real on away goals after they win 2-1 at Anfield
    Arsenal-Roma => Roma win in extra time
    Inter-Manchester => ManU wins big at the Theater of Dreams to advance

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by HofstraJetMetIsle View Post
    this is a little late as the first leg has already happened but I"ll give it a go anyway

Chelsea-Juventus => Forza la Juve, they win 2-nil in extra time
    Vallareal-Pana => Villareal, Forza Giuseppe Rossi!
    Sporting-Bayern => Bayern, Forza Luca Toni!
    Atletico-Porto => Atletico
    Lyon-Barca => screw Barca, Lyon with the big upset Unlikely. Benzema was carried off on a stretcher last night. Apparent hip injury. Will most likely miss return match.
    Real-Liverpool =>Real on away goals after they win 2-1 at Anfield. Real has looked like crap lately. L'pool.
    Arsenal-Roma => Roma win in extra time
    Inter-Manchester => ManU wins big at the Theater of Dreams to advance

Agreed except for 2.My thoughts

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL. Bayern advances 11-1 on aggregate

Liverpool spanked Real 4-0
    Chelsea advances after 2-2 against Juve
    Villareal beat Pana

Great game this morning my time - awesome display from Liverpool against an insipid Madrid. Roll on United this weekend!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Great game this morning my time - awesome display from Liverpool against an insipid Madrid. Roll on United this weekend!
    Great game indeed by Liverpool.

I was hesitating between watching the Juve/Chelsea game and Liverpool/Real. Should've chosen Juve for the suspense.

On a side note, I'm getting a bit tired of English domination. In quantity at least. There are always 2-3 teams in 1/8 and 1/4 finals.

The continental teams can't cope with the fast tempo of the English game - used to be they could overcome that by having superior technique, using that to slow the game down, but because the players in England are now technically as good as anywhere, they can move the ball frighteningly fast and also have the ability to match anyone else in the skill department. One of the few people who looked OK for Madrid was Diarra, who recently played in England.

Madrid have some real problems, if you'll excuse the pun.

Jets Insider VIP
    The continental teams can't cope with the fast tempo of the English game - used to be they could overcome that by having superior technique, using that to slow the game down, but because the players in England are now technically as good as anywhere, they can move the ball frighteningly fast and also have the ability to match anyone else in the skill department. One of the few people who looked OK for Madrid was Diarra, who recently played in England.

Madrid have some real problems, if you'll excuse the pun.
    Agreed. It used to be kick and rush. Now it's just rush.

Italy has problems if they think Cannavaro can make it to the WC.

Yeah, he was really shown up - like a fighter that ages in the ring in a matter of a few minutes. Torres was supreme.....I hope somehow that Inter can now toss United in a few hours time!

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah, he was really shown up - like a fighter that ages in the ring in a matter of a few minutes. Torres was supreme.....I hope somehow that Inter can now toss United in a few hours time!
    Paulie, what's Italy's defense??

Panucci(?) - Nesta(?) - Cannavaro - ??

Is that it? Nesta retired no? If not, they have the same problem we had when Blanc, Desailly, Lizarazu and Thuram all got old at the same time.

El Marca, before the match [This is Anfield...So What?]

After [Total Spanking] - using the word chorreo that the Madrid President used to describe what Madrid would do to Liverpool before the game, roughly means to piss all over.

Jets Insider VIP
    Barca destroyed Lyon 5-2

VERY impressive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Results

return ***** away

Bayern Munich 7-1 ***** 5-0 Sporting Portugal
    Manchester United 2-0 ***** 0-0 Inter Milan
    FC Barcelone 5-2 ***** 1-1 Lyon
    AS Rome 1-0 6 PK 7 ***** 0-1 Arsenal
    Juventus Turin 2-2 ***** 0-1 Chelsea
    Panathinaïkos 1-2 ***** 1-1 Villarreal
    FC Porto 0-0 ***** 2-2 Atletico Madrid
    Liverpool FC 4-0 ***** 1-0 Real Madrid

Next leg

Bayern
    MU
    Barca
    Arse
    Chelsea
    Villareal
    Porto
    L'pool

Jets Insider VIP
    Lyon's President said something interesting after last night's debacle. He's an arrogant prick, but I agree with what he said.

His analysis is that Lyon is France's best team over the past ten years. This is not even debatable.

Lyon has been qualified for the CL the last 8 years. They've gone to the quarters only once. What he said basically is that when your best national team gets outclassed the way the were last night, it says more about your championship, than it does about Lyon. Ligue 1 is geared towards parity, rather the elitism.

A French team will never win the CL as long as fiscal policy stays the way it is. We'll never have stars in their prime, never have state of the art stadiums..and will always get owned in the CL.

So how does it work for the next round? Is there another draw now or is the next stage already setup?

Thanks

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post
    So how does it work for the next round? Is there another draw now or is the next stage already setup?

Thanks
    It's a draw.

from now on, teams that were in the same Group in the Group stage, can be up against each other.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Ligue 1 is geared towards parity, rather the elitism.
    That's bull****. If that were true why has his team won the so called ligue that's geared toward parity for 7-8? years in a row?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    That's bull****. If that were true why has his team won the so called ligue that's geared toward parity for 7-8? years in a row?
    I would say they're the exception to the rule. You can't deny that when a team wins 7 championships in a row it says just as much about the competition, if not more, than the quality of Lyon.

Italian football reeling after European exits

Thursday, 12 March 2009

Francesco Totti walked off the field at the Stadio Olimpico with his jersey tugged over his head, contemplating AS Roma's elimination from the Champions League after a penalty shoot-out loss to Arsenal.

There was no dancing down the sideline for Jose Mourinho as his Inter Milan club was ousted by Manchester United on Wednesday.

A night earlier, Juventus captain Alessandro Del Piero hung his head after losing to Chelsea.

Totti was likely the most upset of all. Mourinho and Del Piero have won the Champions League before, but the longtime AS Roma captain was dreaming of taking his first title in this season's final, which is slated for his hometown — Rome.

"It would have been better to lose 3-0, this feels like getting knifed," Totti said. "When am I going to get another chance like this?"

At least Totti was not alone.

All three Italian clubs were eliminated by English opposition, marking the first time in seven years that none of the country's clubs has reached the quarterfinals.

Thursday's Gazzetta dello Sport headline read, "Maledizione!" - "It's a curse!"

Two weeks ago, AC Milan and Sampdoria were eliminated from the Uefa Cup.

"The biggest reason for this crisis is economics," Milan chairman Adriano Galliani said. "English clubs, thanks most of all to their stadiums, have much higher revenue than our clubs. England and Spain are far superior in this area, and it's a serious problem."

Italy has launched a bid to host the 2016 European Championship, which would force the country to rebuild its stadiums.

The last remaining Italian team in Europe this season is unsung Udinese, who host Zenit St. Petersburg in a first-leg Uefa Cup match tonight.

Roma's exit was the most dramatic, with Max Tonetto - the Giallorossi's eighth man to step up to the spot in the shootout - sending his penalty high to give Arsenal the win.

"I'm sorry for all these fans that supported us nonstop for two hours," Tonetto said. "My teammates tried to console me, but it hasn't helped much."

Arsenal won the shootout 7-6 after Brazil defender Juan's goal in the ninth minute for Roma left the clubs tied 1-1 on aggregate through regulation and extra time.

Injury-hit Roma thought it earned a penalty when Arsenal defender Gael Clichy tugged down Marco Motta from behind inside the area in the 45th, but Spanish referee Manuel Mejuto Gonzalez made no call.

Inter were also unlucky, with strikers Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Adriano both denied by the goalframe. United got goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Nemanja Vidic following a scoreless first leg.

"Unfortunately, Manchester scored in the key points of the game, at the beginning of the first and second halves," Inter captain Javier Zanetti said. "That really hurt us.

"But we're going out with our heads held high. What's going to happen now? Nothing. We've got to focus on the league where we're leading. There are 11 games to go and we've got to do everything we can to win the Italian league, because it's worth just as much as the Champions League."

After three straight Serie A titles and no European Cup since 1965, Inter's fans likely have different priorities.

"To win the Champions League you need a boat full of money and constant improvement," said Mourinho, who is in his first season with Inter. "And that's what we're doing. (United) is superior in physical stature, speed and deadball kicks. But I don't have anything to criticize my players about. To win the Champions League, you've got to grow step by step."

Juventus drew 2-2 with Chelsea but was eliminated on 3-2 aggregate. Pavel Nedved exited Tuesday's match after 13 minutes with an injury, cutting short his final European match before retirement at season's end.

Italian media are speculating that Juventus could sign temperamental — but highly talented — forward Antonio Cassano from Sampdoria.

Meanwhile, Mourinho said he would seek a meeting with Inter president Massimo Moratti to express his views for the future.

"Next year Inter is going to need some new players, and others like (Mario) Balotelli will have improved," Mourinho said. "You win the Champions League with continuity. United today is exactly the same as when it lost the (English) league to my Chelsea team three years ago, except for (Dimitar) Berbatov.

"The first time (Cristiano) Ronaldo played against me he was 18, the same age of (Davide) and Balotelli now. The future is theirs."

link

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I just read another interview of him with more interesting info.

France is the only place where TV rights are re-distributed to Ligue 1 AND Ligue 2 teams. So basically we have the richest Ligue 2 teams in Europe. This is symptomatic of every decision made at a federal level. Everything is done to 'protect' and promote small clubs. A big, winning, cash machine like Lyon is seen as the Devil (typical French attitude btw).

Jets Insider VIP
    The draw hot out of the oven

Villarreal-Arsenal
    Manchester United - FC Porto
    Liverpool-Chelsea
    FC Barcelona-Bayern Munich
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 03-20-2009 at 07:28 AM.