Thread: Yanks need to call up Kennedy immediately

Yanks need to call up Kennedy immediately

Bothers me that we didn't get Washburn because IMO you simply cannot pitch Ponson and Rasner down the stretch in a pennant race, that is a recipe for disaster, tantamount to outright conceding

At the very least we have to get one of these clowns out of the rotation ASAP, so lets get Kennedy back up here post haste, immediately if not sooner, then we can replace the other one when Hughes or Wang comes back

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Bothers me that we didn't get Washburn because IMO you simply cannot pitch Ponson and Rasner down the stretch in a pennant race, that is a recipe for disaster, tantamount to outright conceding

At the very least we have to get one of these clowns out of the rotation ASAP, so lets get Kennedy back up here post haste, immediately if not sooner, then we can replace the other one when Hughes or Wang comes back
    How long until the return of the Wanger?

And I totally agree. Not much left for Kennedy to show in AAA, although to be fair, Rasner pitched pretty well last time out. 6 innings of 2 runs should get you the win.

Said this in another thread... I'm all for bringing the kid up, but I wouldn't do it against the Angels in front of 55,000.

Even against Texas next week, you've got another good hitting lineup. I'd much rather pitch him against the Rangers than the Angels though. He wouldn't have to deal with the pressure of pitching in front of the Yankee fans and getting booed.

Let him get one more start in AAA and get his confidence up some more, really can't hurt. The last thing we need is to pitch him against the Angels and have him give up 7 through 3...

I agree. I've liked Rasner before, but his last few starts he's walking more batters and striking out way less. Even in that good start he walked 4 and struck out 2. Plus Ponson is very risky. Kennedy deserves the shot.

Kennedy today for Scranton:
    7 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 6 K.

Past 4 starts:
    27 IP, 4 ER (1.33 ERA), 14 H, 5 BB, 20 K.

He's ready to come back. I'd start him Friday vs. Angels, replacing Rasner

Without a doubt, Kennedy should pitch over Rasner with Rasner going back down to AAA. Geise should stay as the long man, where he has really thrived.

It seems like he's pitching very well on a consistent basis down in Scranton now so I agree. Rasner should definitely be the one getting the demotion down to AAA. I was impressed with how Ponson bounced back from that bad outing in Boston and threw 7 shutout innings against the Angels the other night. I thought it was going to get ugly after the start up there.

I agree about Ian Kennedy, when does Hughes come back, anyone have any idea? He's better then Kennedy IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    The way I see it is Ponson, Kennedy and Rasner are all hit or miss guys. You have to be impressed with what Ponson has done for us. Yeah he gave up a bunch of hits and runs but he won more games then we expected him to all season and its only the beginning of August. We could of lost most of his games, but we didn't. We lost to Boston last weekend as we all expected to after stealing 1 of the first 2. And for a #5 starter Rasner kept us in the running for a wild card spot.

Lets not forget that our starting rotation now only has 2/5's of its expected starters at the beginning of the season. Oh and by the way there both pretty damn old, and we already got more then we expected out of both of them. Remember how we said Joba would relieve until Mussina needed to be taking out of the lineup? Think about that for a second.

Face it our Pitching staff has over achieved this year when you take injuries into account. If Wang didn't get hurt we would be in first place no doubt about it. Our real problem is our under performing offense.

Face it Washburn isn't that much better then Rasner. And to take him out of Seattle and stick in the middle of a NY pennant race could be a disaster. Hate Rasner all you want, but Washburn wouldn't be much a difference.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Pennington View Post
    I agree about Ian Kennedy, when does Hughes come back, anyone have any idea? He's better then Kennedy IMO.
    I've heard he's 1 to 2 minor league appearances away, but I don't buy it. He hasn't pitched above Single A ball yet. I would say end of August, let him get his confidence up and use to his subscription Oakley glasses.

Till then give Kennedy a whirl in Ponsons spot, he's been stellar in the minors so far. If he's gonna prove he's more then a AAAA pitcher it has to be now.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    I've heard he's 1 to 2 minor league appearances away, but I don't buy it. He hasn't pitched above Single A ball yet. I would say end of August, let him get his confidence up and use to his subscription Oakley glasses.

Till then give Kennedy a whirl in Ponsons spot, he's been stellar in the minors so far. If he's gonna prove he's more then a AAAA pitcher it has to be now.
    I thought Girardi said Hughes could be back for the Baltimore series at the end of the month.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadLover View Post
    I thought Girardi said Hughes could be back for the Baltimore series at the end of the month.
    Pete Abraham said he'd be major league ready in 1-2 more appearances. But that doesn't mean they'd pull him up next week. They'll probably let him build his confidence and take him up after 5 or so appearances.

I would bring up Kennedy but put him in place of Rasner. I don't get why everyone is so eager to replace Ponson. He hasn't been all that bad. I feel like Rasner has been worse of late.

Ponson's starts with the Yankees:
    @ NYM 6 IP, 0 ER
    vs TEX 5 IP, 7 ER
    vs TB 6 IP, 1 ER
    vs MIN 5.2 IP, 3 ER
    @ BOS 4 IP, 7 ER
    vs. LAA 7 IP, 0 ER

3 of his starts have been very good, 1 good and 2 very bad. Rasner has had more of average to below average games consistently for the past two months. He hasn't really thrown any gems as Ponson has. I'd take my chances with Ponson over Rasner right now. I think to an extent he's been figured out.

All Pro
    Giese starting for Rasner Friday. Will they put Rasner in the pen or demote him?

UPDATE, 6:44 p.m., GIESE ON FRIDAY: Joe Girardi said Dan Giese will start Friday. Rasner is going to the bullpen. Ian Kennedy is Fredo it seems.

I watched him play a few weeks out here in scranton. all I can say he doesnt belong down here he looked impressive in fact I noticed something different about his fastball he is throwing with more velocity and control he looks a lot different then what we have seen last year and this year up in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    I watched him play a few weeks out here in scranton. all I can say he doesnt belong down here he looked impressive in fact I noticed something different about his fastball he is throwing with more velocity and control he looks a lot different then what we have seen last year and this year up in the majors.
    i hope that pavano thing is a joke...