It's still a steal for the Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post

... and as a Yankee fan I'm still doing cartwheels

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Who's going to play in your Outfield?

I imagine Manny and Kemp are most likely to take 2 spots. But what about the other one?

You have:
    Ethier
    A. Jones
    Pierre

Which one will it be? Or will they all split time?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by KellenIsTheFuture View Post
    Who's going to play in your Outfield?

I imagine Manny and Kemp are most likely to take 2 spots. But what about the other one?

You have:
    Ethier
    A. Jones
    Pierre

Which one will it be? Or will they all split time?
    Kemp's on fire, he'll be every day between CF and RF. I would assume Jones will get all the starts in CF against lefties. Dre has seen the least time since Pierre returned from the DL, but that was because you could hide Pierre's weak arm in LF. I have to assume that Pierre will see the least time of the 5 because of his arm.

The only problem with that is until Furcal comes back, that leaves either Kemp or Martin leading off, which neither is really suited for, even though Kemp's done pretty well there in his opportunities leading off over the past month. I'd rather see him right in front of Manny though and maximize his power potential.

Once Furcal comes back Pierre is all but a Pinch Runner. Another thing that has me hoping is that Jones, while still not producing very much, has started to sting some balls, a few to the opposite field, in the past week or so.

Basically that's a long way of saying I have no idea who'll play when, except Manny and Kemp will be in there everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    AMEN!

Sorry, I deleted the other thread by accident
    What happened? Hand shaking from too much Favre excitement?

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post

What happened? Hand shaking from too much Favre excitement?
    I can't even get excited anymore, FF, too many bogus rumors, I'll believe it when I see it

All League
    Guess I never realized how highly Yankee fans regarded Manny.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 07-31-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post

As a person, very little, but as a hitter .. the man is an idiot sevant when it comes to hitting a baseball

Truly one of the Greatest RHH's in baseball history, not to mention a bona-fide Yankee killer
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-31-2008 at 11:07 PM.

All League
    As a person, very little, but as a hitter .. the man is an idiot sevant when it comes to hitting a baseball

Truly one of the Greatest RHH's in baseball history, not to mention a bona-fide Yankee killer
    Sox-Yankees won't be the same without him, that's for sure. In that respect I'm kinda sad. I expect I'll feel the same sadness when Mo and Jeter retire or or traded.

Well he hit the Yankees quite well. Close to .450 for the past 2 years.

The Dodgers made out like bandits in this trade by the way. Not only do they get Manny for these last 2 months, but they get 2 picks when he leaves. Just compare what the Angels gave up for Teixiera to what the Dodgers gave up for Manny - not to even mention the fact that the Sox are paying the rest of his salary and he's free for the Dodgers.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    The Dodgers made out like bandits in this trade by the way. Not only do they get Manny for these last 2 months, but they get 2 picks when he leaves.
    I've heard mixed messages about that. Some that they would get 2 picks, some that Boras put a clause in the deal that would prohibit that, some that the Dodgers would get a #1 and a #2. So that part's a little foggy right now. If Manny can't get the Dodgers over the hump and into the playoffs this year then assessing the trade from the Dodgers standpoint comes down to weighing the prospects they gave up against whatever happens with whatever draft choices they get. So it could take years to know whether it was a good trade or not. Of course, if Manny does push them into the playoffs then as a Dodger fan I'd be pretty happy.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 07-31-2008 at 11:45 PM.

I've heard mixed messages about that. Some that they would get 2 picks, some that Boras put a clause in the deal that would prohibit that, some that the Dodgers would get a #1 and a #2. So that part's a little foggy right now.
    When the Dodgers made the deal they got the promise from Boras/Manny that in exchange for them getting rid of the option years they will offer arbitration and he will decline. So they will get 2 picks when he signs elsewhere. If the team that signs him is drafting 16-31, they will get their first round pick plus a sandwich pick. If the team that signs him drafts 1-15 they will get their second round pick plus the sandwich pick. Or, if they re-sign him, they won't be giving up their first round pick to do so.

All League
    When the Dodgers made the deal they got the promise from Boras/Manny that in exchange for them getting rid of the option years they will offer arbitration and he will decline. So they will get 2 picks when he signs elsewhere. If the team that signs him is drafting 16-31, they will get their first round pick plus a sandwich pick. If the team that signs him drafts 1-15 they will get their second round pick plus the sandwich pick. Or, if they re-sign him, they won't be giving up their first round pick to do so.
    Don't know if you're right, but that's the best explanation I've heard so far. I've read a lot of posts that say if the Dodgers don't sign him they automatically get two #1 picks. So those posts are wrong?

Don't know if you're right, but that's the best explanation I've heard so far. I've read a lot of posts that say if the Dodgers don't sign him they automatically get two #1 picks. So those posts are wrong?
    Yeah, those are wrong. When you offer a player arbitration and he is considered a Group A free agent (something that is pretty subjective but there's no doubt Manny will be Group A), the team that loses him gets the team that signs him's first round pick (if picking 16-31) and a sandwich pick (a pick after the first round and before the 2nd round - the order of those picks is decided by the quality of the FA, so Manny would be up high for that pick).

For example, when the Phillies signed Tom Gordon from the Yankees, the Yankees got the Philies 1st round pick and the sandwich pick. With those picks the Yankees drafted Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain. Another example, when the Sox let Pedro go to the Mets, they got their first round pick and a sandwich pick, and drafted Buccholz and Ellsbury.

with this trade, Boston has effectively said "see you next year" and left the division to the Yankees and the Rays.....

and I don't think the Rays hold up in August......

All League
    Yeah, those are wrong. When you offer a player arbitration and he is considered a Group A free agent (something that is pretty subjective but there's no doubt Manny will be Group A), the team that loses him gets the team that signs him's first round pick (if picking 16-31) and a sandwich pick (a pick after the first round and before the 2nd round - the order of those picks is decided by the quality of the FA, so Manny would be up high for that pick).

For example, when the Phillies signed Tom Gordon from the Yankees, the Yankees got the Philies 1st round pick and the sandwich pick. With those picks the Yankees drafted Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain. Another example, when the Sox let Pedro go to the Mets, they got their first round pick and a sandwich pick, and drafted Buccholz and Ellsbury.
    Thanks for the info, mon. I've really never understood how MLB picks work--not nearly a straightforward as the NFL. So would you say that a sandwich pick is essentially a high #2? How many teams get sandwich picks between rounds 1-2 in an average year? And of the teams that get sandwich picks, what determines the order?

When the Dodgers made the deal they got the promise from Boras/Manny that in exchange for them getting rid of the option years they will offer arbitration and he will decline.
    Of course, Manny will be Manny. Will that promise hold up in court?
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 08-01-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks for the info, mon. I've really never understood how MLB picks work--not nearly a straightforward as the NFL. So would you say that a sandwich pick is essentially a high #2? How many teams get sandwich picks between rounds 1-2 in an average year? And of the teams that get sandwich picks, what determines the order?
    Yeah, it's a really weird system. A sandwich pick is almost like the 2nd round, and the 2nd round almost becomes the 3rd round. The reason is, to answer the other question, there are about 20 sandwich picks in a given year, give or take.

FYI, you always get a sandwich pick when losing a Group A FA, but you also get a sandwich pick if you lose a Group B FA. An example of a Group B FA would be Kyle Farnsworth. If you lose this guy, you don't get the pick of the team that signs him, just the sandwich pick.

To answer how guys become Group A or Group B, it is subjective and I don't even know exactly who decides, but I'm pretty sure it's just a group of arbitrators that decided based on RBI's and the such and compare it to other players at that position.

As for the order of the sandwich round, I'm pretty sure it is based on the quality of the FA that you lose - which is arbitrary of course, given that MLB doesn't have a great system here.

The very last thing about all this is in order to get the draft picks you have to offer the player arbitration. If you offer this, the player can always accept and get a 1 year deal that is for more money than how much he made the year before. So if the Yanks let Giambi go, they won't get draft pick compensation because there's no way they'd offer him arbitration as he could just accept and get paid about $23M next year.

Of course, Manny will be Manny. Will that promise hold up in court?
    For 2 reasons it will. 1. My guess is it was signed on paper with Boras. 2. Manny wants a multi year deal. If he accepted he's getting 1 year at like $21M. He's going to be looking for a 3 or 4 year deal is my guess.