Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee Fans - Manny Ramirez In Pinstripes Next Season?

Yankee Fans - Manny Ramirez In Pinstripes Next Season?

I know, i know the guy acts like a child and is a major headache at times but think about this for a second...

The Yankees are going to need a big bat since there is no way you pickup Giambi's option at $20 million...Then you have Bobby Abreu to worry about who will require about $14 million a season to come back...What do you do with Xavier Nady if you bring Abreu back and Matsui is healthy?

I would rather go for Teixeira over Manny since he is much less of a headache and the Yankes badly need a first baseman who can both field the position and hit for power but if Tex wants to stay with the Angles then what do you do? Manny imo is the only other option who is worth the money...Its no secret the Yankees desperately need another right handed power bat so why not go get the best right handed hitter in the game? Manny is on a slight decline but the guy can still hit, he is clutch, one of the most feared hitters in the game and he will do wonders for Arod, not to mention the potential ass whooping he will lay on the Red Sox...Look at what Manny did for Ortiz, he gave a nobody, a JAG confidence and Ortiz has now become a perennial MVP candidate...Just imagine what Arod could do with less pressure and stress...

I'd be willing to give Manny a 4 year contract at $18 million a year with a 5th being a team option all depending on how he finishes with LA...Would be a good deal if the guy wants to seriously play for the Yankees and is willing to abide by the Yankee code...All the money you would have spent on Abreu and Giambi or another first baseman would go to Manny...Matsui would have to move to first base...You have to worry about Posada though, how will his arm heal and will he be able to catch everyday? assuming he could the Yankee line up would be nuts with Manny...

Damon - LF
    Jeter - SS
    Cano - 2B
    Arod - 3B
    Manny - DH
    Matsui - 1B
    Posada -C
    Nady - RF
    Melky - CF

Defense will be shaky with Matsui at first but how much worse could he be than Giambi? Matsui can very well be a slight upgrade over Giambi...Posada is the only really big question mark because the guy has never been regarded as a good defensive catcher and hes coming off a serious surgery...If he can't play the position effectively he would create a serious log jam...As for the outfield, defensively aside for Damon its solid but i wouldn't mind looking for a replacement for Melky...Melky is a very good defensive CF but a lousy hitter which makes him a 4th outfielder not a starter...

Hall Of Fame
    I want Ichiro.

All Pro
    No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    I want Ichiro.
    Ichiro is a noch below Manny. He clearly doesn't care about anyone but himself.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-01-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Pass. 4 years, $100 million? Double pass.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    No thanks.
    Ok so then what do you do?

Give Giambi $20 million and sign Abreu to 2 year $30 million deal?

Or is Shelly Duncan and Richie Sexson the answer to all our offensive problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Pass. 4 years, $100 million? Double pass.
    Nobody said you bring him back for the 5th and like i said its all up to how he performs in LA...If the guy goes on a tear, hits 40 HR drives in another 130 RBI's again he is deserving of that contract imo...Not going to happen though, he will finish with 30+ HR and a 110 RBI's...4 years at $16 million is about right but Borass of course will seek more...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    Nobody said you bring him back for the 5th and like i said its all up to how he performs in LA...If the guy goes on a tear, hits 40 HR drives in another 130 RBI's again he is deserving of that contract imo...Not going to happen though, he will finish with 30+ HR and a 110 RBI's...4 years at $16 million is about right but Borass of course will seek more...
    No way Boras settles for less than $20 per year. No way.

Ok so then what do you do?

Give Giambi $20 million and sign Abreu to 2 year $30 million deal?

Or is Shelly Duncan and Richie Sexson the answer to all our offensive problems?
    Giambi, like Jeter, should not sniff 20 mill ever again.
    Manny also is no longer the best RH hitter in the game and has not been for quite some time. Too many other question marks as you listed that would need to be resolved b4 spending big money on a DH.

I can see why Boston wanted him out, he's a total doushbag, but that dirtbag can hit like there's no tomorrow and if you read the other thread, IMO his best attribute is that he defies the "Good Pitching beats Good Hitting" adage, he crushes Good Pitching same as he crushes bad to mediocre pitching and that's what makes him such a special hitter, its also just what we need to overcome our "October" offensive funk in recent years

But there's no doubt its a faustian bargain, in some ways it is selling your soul metaphorically speaking because the guy really is a degenerate, but he is definitely one of the Greatest RHH's who ever lived and that doesn't change very much verses Quality pitching in October

Anyway, if we did add Manny I would prefer that we keep Abreu and unload Johnny Damon who is breaking down physically {from head to toe} and really is useless as an outfielder

SS Derek Jeter
    2B Robbie Cano
    RF Bobby Abreu
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    DH Manny Ramirez
    LF Hideki Matsui
    C/1B Pudge Rodriguez
    1B/C Jorge Posada
    CF Xavier Nady/Austin Jackson
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-01-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Giambi, like Jeter, should not sniff 20 mill ever again.
    Manny also is no longer the best RH hitter in the game and has not been for quite some time. Too many other question marks as you listed that would need to be resolved b4 spending big money on a DH.
    That is debatable, i would only put Pujols above Manny...

Manny has declined but he is still a very good right handed hitter and imo the best in the AL...I would prefer Teixeira over Manny because he will fill the first baseman need as well as the power bat but if you can't get Tex the Yankees really have no choice...You can't enter the season with Richie Sexson being your everyday first baseman...The only other option i can see is bringing back Pudge and moving Posada to first base...

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I can see why Boston wanted him out, he's a total doushbag, but that dirtbag can hit like there's no tomorrow and if you read the other thread, IMO his best attribute is that he defies the "Good Pitching beats Good Hitting" adage, he crushes Good Pitching same as he crushes bad to mediocre pitching and that's what makes him such a special hitter, its also just what we need to overcome our "October" offensive funk in recent years

But there's no doubt its a faustian bargain, in some ways it is selling your soul metaphorically speaking because the guy really is a degenerate, but he is definitely one of the Greatest RHH's who ever lived and that doesn't change very much verses Quality pitching in October

Anyway, if we did add Manny I would prefer that we keep Abreu and unload Johnny Damon who is breaking down physically {from head to toe} and really is useless as an outfielder

SS Derek Jeter
    2B Robbie Cano
    RF Bobby Abreu
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    DH Manny Ramirez
    LF Hideki Matsui
    C/1B Pudge Rodriguez
    1B/C Jorge Posada
    Worst defensive team in baseball

That is debatable, i would only put Pujols above Manny...

Manny has declined but he is still a very good right handed hitter and imo the best in the AL...I would prefer Teixeira over Manny because he will fill the first baseman need as well as the power bat but if you can't get Tex the Yankees really have no choice...You can't enter the season with Richie Sexson being your everyday first baseman...The only other option i can see is bringing back Pudge and moving Posada to first base...
    At this point, taking age into account, Tex might be a better idea

He's not a better hitter than Manny, no way, but he's a really good hitter, much younger and a good guy

Tex was also a huge Yankee fan as a kid and Don Mattingly was his idol

SS Derek Jeter
    2B Robbie Cano
    RF Bobby Abreu
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    1B Mark Teixeira
    LF Hideki Matsui
    C/DH Pudge Rodriguez
    C/DH Jorge Posada

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

What's so bad about it?

The only reach so to speak is Nady in CF, but once Austin Jackson is ready he takes over in CF and Nady becomes the utility OFer, Gets his AB's by spelling all three OF's and also acting as a late innings defensive replacement in LF

Ichiro is a noch below Manny. He clearly doesn't care about anyone but himself.
    I'd take Manny in a heart beat.

They both have the same loner self centered attitude, but I'd take Ichiro over Manny at this point. Ichiro has stellar D skills.

But talking strictly DH, I'd take Manny any day.

That would be the Florida Marlins

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post

SS Derek Jeter
    2B Robbie Cano
    RF Bobby Abreu
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    DH Manny Ramirez
    LF Hideki Matsui
    C/1B Pudge Rodriguez
    1B/C Jorge Posada
    Jackson isn't ready, it wouldn't be smart to rush him and Nady is not a good option for CF because he can't cover too much ground...You're stuck with Melky unless you can find a better option on the FA market...

I agree with dumping Damon but it would essentially be a salary dump for the Yankees and thus we're better off keeping him around since he is still serviceable as a lead off hitter...I wouldn't mind bringing Abreu back at all but that will cost around $30 million and we would have 6 OF causing an enormous log jam...Only one of them will obviously DH (Manny) and i feel Abreu is expendable...Cano can pick up Abreu's slack batting ahead of Arod and Manny...Cano is a free swinger and he will get some meatballs to hit batting ahead of those guys...Nady gives you better defense in right field plus he's a solid hitter with some pop...

Posada is a big question mark, i wouldn't mind bringing Pudge back at a reasonable price if Posada can't field the position but there is no guarantee of that...If we bring Pudge back then Molina has to go...I wouldn't mind if Posada platoons with Molina and shares 1B time with Matsui...Pudge imo isn't really needed because he would cause another log jam...You don't want Pudge, Posada and Matsui taking turns sitting on the bench...That is a lot of salary wasted...

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    No way Boras settles for less than $20 per year. No way.

It's not the fact that he'll settle, But there is no way the market today is going to pay $20 a season for an OF.

All Pro
    As a person, Manny is a total douche. That said, I'd love to have him in our lineuip. But what makes you think Matsui can play IB?

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    As a person, Manny is a total douche. That said, I'd love to have him in our lineuip. But what makes you think Matsui can play IB?
    I heard Matsui played some 1B in Japan and the Yankees coming into this season did talk about maybe moving him to 1B...The guy has bad knees which worries me but we had Giambi over at 1B for so many years now...Matsui can't possibly be much worse than Giambi...

Teixeira is my primary option...The Yankees wouldn't need Manny and we wouldn't have to put Matsui or anyone else for that matter at first base if we could acquire Teixeira...