Thread: Clottey, Darchinyan and other thoughts

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Clottey, Darchinyan and other thoughts

Decent set of free fights this weekend, no else watching????

Lets start with the undercard for the Darchinyan fight..anyone catch Andre Direll? HBO's had this 168 pounder on before and he's a talented up and comer but he had one of the weirdest punches landed that I've ever seen. He hit this dude with a straight left that apparently landed on his forehead right between the eyes and dropped his opponent. But before he even hit the floor he was covered in blood from the punch. My man had a deep gash about 1-2 inches long and gushing blood. I have never seen a one punch shot split someone's forehead wide open like that before. Weird stuff, the fighter got up but the doc called the fight despite his begging to let the fight continue. Wish I could find a pic, but I cant locate one.

Darchinyan is back. This guy always reminded me of Prince Naseem for some reason, he fights very awkward and is flashy and cocky and arrogant and leaves his chin open just begging to be KO'd and sure as sheet it happened in his last fight against the Pinoy Nonito Donaire with a one punch cold cocked KO. Vic moved up to 115 for this bout and fought the Russian Champ Kirilov and made his mark and his comeback with emphatic results by destroying the champ from the opening bell until his eventual KO in the 4th, Vic looks like he means business and walked through this champ as he had through most other opponents until Donaire cleaned his clock. Was it a fluke? time will tell.

Now the most relevant fight of the night was Clottey-Judah. Simply put my man from the Bronx via Ghana proved to be what many thought he was...too strong and too determined for the likes of Judah. Judah, ahhh Zab....you proved to the world what a beotch you truly are once again. This turned out to be the typical Judah fight that we have all grown accustomed to. Starting early with blazing hand speed and huge uppercuts and getting frustrated when they don't finish off his opponents ala Miguel Cotto. Of course this turns into Judah getting lazy and getting hit too much and eventually he got his eye split very badly by a single uppercut although the ref called it a headbut (ghost). When the doc checked his eye he said Zab was clear to fight but Zab said he couldn't see and the doc was forced to stop the fight....yeah Zab in what could have been his last shot declined to continue in the 9th round of a championship bout because he claimed he couldn't see. Compare that to the young fighter I mentioned earlier begging the doc not to stop the fight due to his forehead cut.....yeah Zab yous a beotch.

Now what's next for the new champ Clottey? Unify with Williams? Unify with Berto? Rematch and unify with Margarito? or does Top Rank get Miguel Cotto a quick road back to redemption and another title shot?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Showtime's card was so very weak.

As for Clottey-Judah...first I think Judah probably could tell the difference between 2 fingers and 3, but chose not to. It was a clean punch that opened the cut and the fight would've been stopped at some point. He may have felt he was up on the cards, so he quit then. I had it scored the same as two of the judges, even through 8, had to give the 9th to Clottey.
    Clottey size advantage was a difference maker in this fight. And Judah's inability to avoid the straight right.

I will say that Kellerman's commentary was some of the most horrible, biased analysis i've heard...and i hear quite a bit out of his mouth. He was so anti-Judah it was pathetic. And the comparisons to Margarito's performance a week prior were an insult to Margarito.

Did anyone else hear Lennox Lewis comment when he was discussing Zab's move to Vegas. He was saying how that showed his focus, moving to the mecca of boxing and "there are no nightclubs here." I didn't detect any sarcasm either. No nightclubs in Vegas, huh?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    Showtime's card was so very weak.

As for Clottey-Judah...first I think Judah probably could tell the difference between 2 fingers and 3, but chose not to. It was a clean punch that opened the cut and the fight would've been stopped at some point. He may have felt he was up on the cards, so he quit then. I had it scored the same as two of the judges, even through 8, had to give the 9th to Clottey.
    Clottey size advantage was a difference maker in this fight. And Judah's inability to avoid the straight right.

I will say that Kellerman's commentary was some of the most horrible, biased analysis i've heard...and i hear quite a bit out of his mouth. He was so anti-Judah it was pathetic. And the comparisons to Margarito's performance a week prior were an insult to Margarito.

Did anyone else hear Lennox Lewis comment when he was discussing Zab's move to Vegas. He was saying how that showed his focus, moving to the mecca of boxing and "there are no nightclubs here." I didn't detect any sarcasm either. No nightclubs in Vegas, huh?
    Agreed on Clottey-Judah.

I'm not buying that Judah couldn't see out of that eye. The people that I know of that also watched the fight felt the same exact way. Even if it were true, the fact that Judah is so weak mentally leads you to believe that he would seek a way out of a fight that became brutal.

I also disagreed with the refs. No way did I have this fight so close. I had Clottey winning virtually every round after the second. You could see Clottey pick up the pace around the 4th and he hurt Judah. Judah's punch output seemed to fade to me, aside from the odd flurry here and there to attempt to steal rounds.

I have no doubt that Clottey would've put Judah away before the 12th.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so what do you want for (Blood) Clottey next???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think to gain exposure Clottey and Berto should fight on an undercard of Marg vs. Williams II. Winner next up for unification

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else hear Lennox Lewis comment when he was discussing Zab's move to Vegas. He was saying how that showed his focus, moving to the mecca of boxing and "there are no nightclubs here." I didn't detect any sarcasm either. No nightclubs in Vegas, huh?[/QUOTE]

I think Lampley on Cotto vs. Margarito was just as terrible. He seems to have a financial interest in Cotto. Everything Cotto did was great meanwhile Stewart is telling him AM is slowly grinding his way to a victory.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zab was very motivated and in good shape (for change) for this fight....
    but when his will got tested he wussed out.

Clottey is very much in the Margerito mold... equally tough and well conditioned, maybe a little more skillful, not sure his hands are
    as heavy though. He was beating Antonio handily until he hurt his hand... and I believe the injury was real.

I'd like to see that fight again and I think it's a pickem fight... with winner taking it by decision.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Zab was very motivated and in good shape (for change) for this fight....
    but when his will got tested he wussed out.

Clottey is very much in the Margerito mold... equally tough and well conditioned, maybe a little more skillful, not sure his hands are
    as heavy though. He was beating Antonio handily until he hurt his hand... and I believe the injury was real.

I'd like to see that fight again and I think it's a pickem fight... with winner taking it by decision.
    I think Clottey fairs very well in that fight too, but I cant say pick em after what he did Tony should be favored against any welterweight on the planet

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the difference between Clottey and Judah.

Clottey fought a war with the most feared man in boxing for years, one in which he led, despite having two broken hands.

Judah low blows PBF and hits him in the back of the head.

Clottey pummels Judah with vicious body and head shots, and opens up a nasty cut over Judah's eye with a left uppercut, while Judah takes the easy way out. Clottey does this despite a torn left bicep in rd 4.

Please. Judah is in the wrong sport. He should just retire and hang out with his posse. He can make it rain and issue all the champagne bottle challenges he wants, just stay away from the ring.

I'd like to see Clottey fight Margarito or Paul Williams. I'd like to see Margarito fight Clottey and/or Williams. I'd like to see Berto clean up and fight a Luis Collazo, and eventually step up to Clottey, Williams and/or Margarito, but right now is too soon. He's not ready.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    I think Clottey fairs very well in that fight too, but I cant say pick em after what he did Tony should be favored against any welterweight on the planet
    I can see why you'd say that, but I think Clottey would lay a beat down on Cotto
    much the same as Tony did.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Spot on about Zab

Love that quote, Bro: "Finally proved to the world what a beotch he really is....". He'll go down as one of those guys who could have had the world. Even as an up and comer, he'd pummel a guy for 5 rounds, then dance around him and shuffle his feet, raise his arms in victory, etc. and end up with a decision. No 'finish' in him. Loved that Clottey took it to him.

Would love to see Clottey fight Williams next, but have serious doubts that this is gonna happen. $$$ talks. Don't think a match with Cotto either, because if Cotto loses again, there goes his marketing value. He's come too far for them to let his rep get shot in the span of two fights. Next opponent for MC will be a 'tune up'.

Now I'm waiting on Juan Diaz
    Last edited by Rubba; 08-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.