Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novak Diagnosed with Malignant Brain Tumor, Retires Immediately

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Novak Diagnosed with Malignant Brain Tumor, Retires Immediately

I wish him the best, although his prognosis doesn't sound good.

[B][I]Columnist Novak retiring from newspaper[/I][/B]

[IMG]http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/ap/f5a35a55-e2e3-430f-b0ce-f47edb3b1477.hmedium.jpg[/IMG]

updated 2:12 p.m. ET, Mon., Aug. 4, 2008
    BOSTON - Conservative political commentator Robert Novak on Monday announced his immediate retirement from the Chicago Sun-Times following the diagnosis of a brain tumor, a prognosis that he described as "dire."

"The details are being worked out with the doctors this week, but the tentative plan is for radiation and chemotherapy," Novak told the Sun-Times.

A week ago, Novak announced that he had been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Novak, 77, fell ill while visiting his daughter and was rushed to Brigham and Women’s Hospital, where he said he was diagnosed with the tumor.

A few days earlier, Novak was given a $50 citation after he struck a homeless man with his car in downtown Washington. Novak kept going until he was stopped by a bicyclist, who said the man was splayed on Novak’s windshield.

Dr. Lynne Taylor, a neuro-oncologist at Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle, said residents at the hospital are taught to check for brain tumors in patients who report having a recent car accident in which they didn’t realize they struck something.

“People get spatial and visual neglect of a certain part of their bodies and they don’t realize they’ve done what they’ve done,” said Taylor.

25 years on 'Crossfire'
    Novak is best-known as the longtime co-host of CNN’s “Crossfire,” where he jousted with liberal co-hosts from 1980 to 2005, when he left to join Fox News as an occasional contributor. Novak is also editor of the Evans-Novak Political Report.

Novak was criticized after he was the first to publicly reveal the name of CIA operative Valerie Plame in a 2003 column. His column came out eight days after Plame’s husband, Joseph Wilson, said the Bush administration had twisted prewar intelligence to exaggerate the Iraqi threat.

[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26012351/[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Bob

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does the fact that he ran a man down in DC in a hit and run just a few days ago have anythiing to do with his retirement?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2666434]Does the fact that he ran a man down in DC in a hit and run just a few days ago have anythiing to do with his retirement?[/QUOTE]

I think the fact that he ran down a man in DC has a lot to do with the brain tumor. I heard on the radio is may have been affecting his peripheral vision.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Driving a Corvette with a guy on your windshield is a good sign something is wrong.

It is sad. Makes you wonder about Karma.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2666434]Does the fact that he ran a man down in DC in a hit and run just a few days ago have anythiing to do with his retirement?[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=pauliec;2666445]I think the fact that he ran down a man in DC has a lot to do with the brain tumor. I heard on the radio is may have been affecting his peripheral vision.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the tumor most likely caused the hit and run. Tumors can affect spatial awareness as well as vision.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2666454]Yes, the tumor most likely caused the hit and run. Tumors can affect spatial awareness as well as vision.[/QUOTE]

I'd even bet that they only found the tumor as a result of a medical exam required after the accident or (I'm assuming) the criminal or civil court cases that must have been developing.

I've been watching that guy for almost as long as I can remember watching TV, it will be strange not to hear him during the upcoming election. Hardly ever agreed with him, but always liked to watch him anyways -- a sense of humor goes a long way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The tumor most likely caused the accident.

I wish him the best of luck in his fight. I don't agree with much the guy writes, but I will say that I always found his whole "prince of darkness" routine kinda cool. He's a true character and I hope we'll still have him to kick around for a long time.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I'm sure it did.

......I suppose I just expected yet another Press-Coverage'esque "Oh, How Convenient, Novak Runs a Man Down and Drives off, THEN Gets a "Brain Tumor" Type Conpsiracy Theory post.

Or do we only reserve those for the sitting Presidents Administration?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2666447]Driving a Corvette with a guy on your windshield is a good sign something is wrong.

QUOTE]

First off-
    That is a horrible diagnosis. It's a sin that they still can't figure how to eradicate cancer.

Second-
    That Corvette post made me laugh out loud.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2666447]Driving a Corvette with a guy on your windshield is a good sign something is wrong.

It is sad. Makes you wonder about Karma.[/QUOTE]couldn't help yourself,huh?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would never wish anything bad on anyone, but it makes you wonder about Karma. He help out a CIA agent and could of cared less.
    I hope he makes a full recovery.

[QUOTE=2foolish197;2667793]couldn't help yourself,huh?[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2667800]I would never wish anything bad on anyone, but it makes you wonder about Karma. He help out a CIA agent and could of cared less.
    I hope he makes a full recovery.[/QUOTE]you are boring...:zzz::zzz::zzz:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2667800]I would never wish anything bad on anyone, but it makes you wonder about Karma. He help out a CIA agent and could of cared less.
    I hope he makes a full recovery.[/QUOTE]

she was never this big undercover spy she just had clearence. Your icon Bill Clinton left soldiers to be draged through the streets of Somolia so by your reasoning he should be dead, correct?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are absolutely wrong about Plame. Your example is dumb.

[QUOTE=acepepe;2667811]she was never this big undercover spy she just had clearence. Your icon Bill Clinton left soldiers to be draged through the streets of Somolia so by your reasoning he should be dead, correct?[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Mr. Excitement..

[QUOTE=2foolish197;2667801]you are boring...:zzz::zzz::zzz:[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

It is sad. Makes you wonder about Karma.[/QUOTE]
    BTW, Kid Karma, the guy he ran over is an Obama volunteer.

flushingjet
    Klecko & Novak went to the same driving school?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2668091]BTW, Kid Karma, the guy he ran over is an Obama volunteer.[/QUOTE]

and homeless too. Then again, I guess that stands to reason.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=acepepe;2668337]and homeless too. Then again, I guess that stands to reason.[/QUOTE]
    Homeless, too? Was he defiantly staring down traffic? Impressive at times, but you never know what's driving down the street...true karma...

On a serious note, Novak is/was as good as they come. You can't find a straighter shooter. Lefties can dance over this (expected, zero shock value guys) but he was often a bear on Republicans, too - he was starting to explain, in no uncertain terms, the impending Republican Congressional doom by May of '06. He was not joined by very many on the right.