Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is greed good?

Is greed good?

I'm watching C-Span and Walter Williams is talking to Young America Foundation and he is making an excellent case for greed doing the most good for the most people! Now by greed, he's not talking about stealing, or fraud, or deception, but getting all you can get for yourself legally! Very entertaining and informative!

Thoughts? Is greed good?

Hall Of Fame
    Ask this guy.

[IMG]http://capitalist.blog.is/img/tncache/500x500/82/capitalist/img/c_documents_and_settings_alan_desktop_gordon-gekko.jpg[/IMG]

(you knew it was coming...)

[QUOTE=asuusa;2668811]I'm watching C-Span and Walter Williams is talking to Young America Foundation and he is making an excellent case for greed doing the most good for the most people! Now by greed, he's not talking about stealing, or fraud, or deception, but getting all you can get for yourself legally! Very entertaining and informative!

Thoughts? Is greed good?[/QUOTE]

Heard a very interesting discussion with a California based Professor on Australian radio last night - Gregory Clark has just written a book called 'A Farewell to Alms', in which he sets out the possibility that capitalism is actually the product of evolution.

Historians have had a huge problem in trying to understand why the Industrial Revolution happened when it did: why didn't it happen a thousand years before, for example, and why in England? Clark's theory explains this and also explains why some people are rich, and some are poor - which again, very controversially, he sees as the product of evolution.

New York Times article on Clark's book is here: [url]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/science/07indu.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all[/url]

It is good to a point.

It is a great driver of innovation and progress, but also of excess and corruption. FDR once said the New Deal was what it took to save capitalism from itself, which I think gets it about right.

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2668866]It is good to a point.

It is a great driver of innovation and progress, but also of excess and corruption. FDR once said the New Deal was what it took to save capitalism from itself, which I think gets it about right.[/QUOTE]

So for every $1 the govt gives to one American, it has to forcibly take, what,
    $1.50 from another American? How is that saving capitalism?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2668811]I'm watching C-Span and Walter Williams is talking to Young America Foundation and he is making an excellent case for greed doing the most good for the most people! Now by greed, he's not talking about stealing, or fraud, or deception, but getting all you can get for yourself legally! Very entertaining and informative!

Creed is a human. Very few people don't want more. Creed is what runs the markets. Creed is what makes us like the fruit flies.:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    No, if you're greedy you might make a lot of money, then Obama will windfall profit tax it! :P

But seriously, the onward and upward progression of mankind has not been enabled by people happy with being average. Our progress has been due to bright people pursuing bold ideas where both the risks and rewards are huge. Nothing wrong with being greedy. And, you can be greedy and charitable at the same time.

As someone once said, it is sometimes better to fail spectacularly than to succeed minimally.

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't know. Is lust, gluttony, sloth, wrath, envy or pride good also?

Make up your mind, dude. Are you a Christian or are you not. A Christian wouldn't ask such a retarded question as this. If you think greed is good...it's obvious that you hate baby Jesus, Christmas and our Judeo-Christian belief system and probably regularly engage in sacrificing goats to the demon-lord Bael while drinking the blood of a pit viper mixed with the blood of a dead child. You sick sick bastard ;)

Of course greed is good. So is premarital sex and violence and drugs and nudity.

Sure the money is great, but what you do with the money is even greater!

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2669129]I don't know. Is lust, gluttony, sloth, wrath, envy or pride good also?

Make up your mind, dude. Are you a Christian or are you not. A Christian wouldn't ask such a retarded question as this. If you think greed is good...it's obvious that you hate baby Jesus, Christmas and our Judeo-Christian belief system and probably regularly engage in sacrificing goats to the demon-lord Bael while drinking the blood of a pit viper mixed with the blood of a dead child. You sick sick bastard ;)

Of course greed is good. So is premarital sex and violence and drugs and nudity.[/QUOTE]you need to leave that basement of yours every once-in-a-while.

There's nothing wrong with greed when you aren't doing harm to others.
    The thing about universal greed is that when we are all greedy the free market works everything out.

The problem is, government distorts this and allows greedy people to use the power of govt to stifle others so the greedy can be even more greedy

Gov't is the only thing that distorts greed? Without laws greed would be the demise of everything. People can not be trusted with money and power.

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;2669480]There's nothing wrong with greed when you aren't doing harm to others.
    The thing about universal greed is that when we are all greedy the free market works everything out.

The problem is, government distorts this and allows greedy people to use the power of govt to stifle others so the greedy can be even more greedy[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2669499]Gov't is the only thing that distorts greed? Without laws greed would be the demise of everything. People can not be trusted with money and power.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that. If you read my first sentence I said Greed that doesn't harm others is good. There is a lot of greed that DOES harm others.

I'd say usury is the most damaging form of greed in society. As Einstein said, the most powerful force in the universe is compound interest.

I don't know if I'd call it "greed", but I definitely subscribe to an Ayn Randish type of philosophy.

Hall Of Fame
    You guys are crossing terms here

Is greed good? What kind of question is that? Greed by its definition is the drive to take from others for your benefit with no regard for the others well being. Greed is what occurs when a bunch of millionaire bankers get a lame presidential candidate elected so he can empower them to fleece the planet of untold dollars. How is that good?

Now a drive to succeed is good, that is what typically separates the do mores from the do lesses. Wanting to be successful is great, pushing hard to become successful with a deal of self sacrifice is great, pushing to strive for more is great as long as you don't harm others..... I don't think that you can personify GREED without doing harm to others either directly or indirectly

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2669129]
    Of course greed is good. So is premarital sex and violence and drugs and nudity.[/QUOTE]

LOL

those concepts are "good" in the sense they appeal to base human nature.

there are other concepts that aren't nearly as popular - as "good" or even better, depending on the perspective.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Bullitt245;2668813]
    [IMG]http://capitalist.blog.is/img/tncache/500x500/82/capitalist/img/c_documents_and_settings_alan_desktop_gordon-gekko.jpg[/IMG]

[/QUOTE]

Greed is good to an extent.

But what is the point of making all this money when the dollar is going to be worthless in 3-4 years thanks to McBushonomics?

[QUOTE=2foolish197;2669333]you need to leave that basement of yours every once-in-a-while.[/QUOTE]

Award for stupidest, most unoriginal post of the week. Get some new material... The basement joke was dumb in 1999.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2668866]It is good to a point.

It is a great driver of innovation and progress, but also of excess and corruption. FDR once said the New Deal was what it took to save capitalism from itself, which I think gets it about right.[/QUOTE]

The New Deal is an abject failure.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2669333]you need to leave that basement of yours every once-in-a-while.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/8/6/iminurbasemin128625414380497790.jpg[/IMG]