View Poll Results: For or against limiting the number of foreigners per club?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it the way it is

2 66.67%
  • 3 foreigners max per club

1 33.33%

Thread: Would you be for or against going back to 3 foreign players per club?

Jets Insider VIP

Would you be for or against going back to 3 foreign players per club?

There’s was a bit of a debate over here last year when a few English clubs aligned 11 non-English players for some games. Every powerhouse now has a majority of foreigners on their team. I remember growing up, teams were allowed only 3 foreigners per team (remember the 3 Dutchmen for Milan: Gullit, Rijkaard, Van Basten..).

I’m a bit on the fence.

On one hand: Love them or hate them some teams are the equivalent of All Star Teams: Barca, Real, MU, Chelsea, Liverpool, Milan, Bayern…It’s impossible not to like watching these teams play each other.

On the other hand: I think it’s done to the detriment of Club values. A club doesn’t mean much anymore. A guy will come play 1-3 years and leave. Plus, I think when you can have only 3 guys, you choose them wisely. Lastly, clubs have become more important than national teams.

What do you think?

personally I feel that clubs have every right to go after the best player available regardless of nationality. I see the reasoning on the opposite side and although it would add to the nationalism there certainly would be a decrease in the quality of the competition in each league. Especially since many players from the poorer countries work so hard to make it out and play for the superior leagues of the planet. this opportunity wouldn't be as readily available as it is now. teams such as the ones you mentioned differ from others because they have the funds to pay all these players. If they were limited in how much they could spend where would all the money come from for lower echelon teams to sign great foreign players. Also theres a mystic to the elite teams, the all star collaboration of players is what sells tickets and merchandise.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SantanaMoss83 View Post
    personally I feel that clubs have every right to go after the best player available regardless of nationality. I see the reasoning on the opposite side and although it would add to the nationalism there certainly would be a decrease in the quality of the competition in each league. Especially since many players from the poorer countries work so hard to make it out and play for the superior leagues of the planet. this opportunity wouldn't be as readily available as it is now. teams such as the ones you mentioned differ from others because they have the funds to pay all these players. If they were limited in how much they could spend where would all the money come from for lower echelon teams to sign great foreign players. Also theres a mystic to the elite teams, the all star collaboration of players is what sells tickets and merchandise.
    You make good points, but can you imagine how hard it is for a young English player to turn Pro now when there are less slots available on a club level?

As for the level of play, teams like Barca...etc were already amazing. When Cruyff was coaching Barca, they only had 3 foreigners and it was some of the best soccer ever. Limiting teams evens out the level of play IMO and to an extent makes 2nd tier national teams better because national players get more time, on better teams.

I'm still on the fence BTW.
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 08-06-2008 at 05:49 AM.

Talented players are gonna find their way into the pro's regardless. Nations take pride in the competitiveness of their league. Its up to youth programs such as the acclaimed barcelona youth league that have produced the likes of Cesc Fabregas among others into the pros. Can you imagine the difference if brazilian players were forced to remain in south america due to the constraints of such a rule. these rules may have worked in the past but in this day and age it would raise too many moral and racial questions. Its discriminatory. What if the NBA forced each team to have at least 4 white guys? Fair... I think not

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SantanaMoss83 View Post
    Its discriminatory. What if the NBA forced each team to have at least 4 white guys? Fair... I think not
    That's exactly why it was abolished. Playing a professional sport is a job, and you can't be refused a job because your not a local.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    That's exactly why it was abolished. Playing a professional sport is a job, and you can't be refused a job because your not a local.

But there are exceptions to this rule. For example a foreigner can not practice law in the republic of Turkey.

The NBA analogy is not really relevant because that deals with race whereas this question deals with nationality. And don't forget there are still restrictions that apply to non eu citizens, for example Spanish teams can only register 3 (or 4?) non eu players, Italians can only sign 1 per season, correct me if I'm wrong RD but I think french can only register 4 and so on...

So we are not talking about whether or not there should be a restriction but where do you draw the line.

About that question I think club teams should retain a certain level of their nationality. I don't want to see 4 frenchmen, 3 spaniards, a norwegian, a moroccan and a couple of argentines when I'm playing an English team. It kills the national characteristics football used to have.

therefore although 3 foreigners per team would be a little to restrictive for this day and age I support an intermediate solution.

I think clubs should be able to sign any number of foreign players but there should be a restriction on how many will be allowed on the match squad. I think 4 or 5 is the optimum number.

Currently in Turkey Clubs can sign 8 foreing players up to 6 of which may be on the pitch at the same time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    But there are exceptions to this rule. For example a foreigner can not practice law in the republic of Turkey.

The NBA analogy is not really relevant because that deals with race whereas this question deals with nationality. And don't forget there are still restrictions that apply to non eu citizens, for example Spanish teams can only register 3 (or 4?) non eu players, Italians can only sign 1 per season, correct me if I'm wrong RD but I think french can only register 4 and so on...

So we are not talking about whether or not there should be a restriction but where do you draw the line.

About that question I think club teams should retain a certain level of their nationality. I don't want to see 4 frenchmen, 3 spaniards, a norwegian, a moroccan and a couple of argentines when I'm playing an English team. It kills the national characteristics football used to have.

therefore although 3 foreigners per team would be a little to restrictive for this day and age I support an intermediate solution.

I think clubs should be able to sign any number of foreign players but there should be a restriction on how many will be allowed on the match squad. I think 4 or 5 is the optimum number.

Currently in Turkey Clubs can sign 8 foreing players up to 6 of which may be on the pitch at the same time.
    Good post. So basically England is the only country with no restrictions?

I agree with the bold part to an extent. English Clubs no longer use the 'ole kick and rush, but they still play to the death like no other, no matter where they come from. You could put Inzaghi in England and I'm sure he'd stop diving and turn into a beast. IMO English football has kept it's culture.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    So basically England is the only country with no restrictions?
    The english have a different kind of restriction, any foreign players english clubs woould like to sign submits an application for a work permit. Which is granted(or not) depending on the player having a certain amount of caps.

The rule is intended to keep the quality of foreigners high but I think it's counter productive.

For example an english club won't be able to buy Ken AgŁero (who as far as I know hasn't been capped) or some other brazilian player who is not called up to the Selecao because of the competition but they would be able to sign John Doe the captain of San Marino or Andorra who has amassed 400 gazillion caps becasue he is the only person in the country who recognizes a football when he sees one.

As far as I know only MLS doesn't have a restricton based on Nationality, or do they?
    Last edited by The Turk; 08-06-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I hate ideas like this for a number of reasons, but I'll just lay out a few.

First, I don't see the purpose in deliberately diminishing the quality of club football to increase the popularity and relevance of international football. Frankly, the appeal of international football could be improved a lot more by competent officiating and an increase in attacking football. Taking good players away from club teams is not going to suddenly increase scores at the international level, but it will certainly make for substantially worse club football. Thus, the legislation would have the bonus effect of likely decreasing the relevance and popularity of club football, but without any corresponding increase in interest at the international level. Fans who might have been drawn to the game by the dynamic style of club football will now simply be bored away by the lack of action at the national level.

Additionally, legislation like this will actually diminish the quality of the international games. Countries like the Ivory Coast and Ghana have become more competitive precisely because their players are able to play in the best leagues in the world. Certainly European teams wont suffer, but nations without elite leagues will struggle immensely to develop top talent without being able to send players out to train with elite clubs in advanced footballing nations. As such, all this legislation will do is constrain the development of naitonal teams in other countries and lead to a re-consolidation of power in the hands of the traditional powers.

Meanwhile, the club game will also be hurt by the corresponding spike in salaries which will naturally accompany legislation like this. Its pointless to pretend that the big clubs wont continue buying all the best available talent. But smaller clubs will be forced to pay higher salaries for worse players. Its supply and demand in its simplest form, and given that salaries are artificially inflated for players of certain nationalities (*cough* David Bentley *cough*), it will only become tougher for smaller teams to compete.

Frankly, I'm far more supportive of the academy approach being advanced by the European Union (since this legislation violates EU restrictions on the free movement of labor). This proposal would require teams to field a certain number of players who have been with the club for a certain number of years. This will only help the international game, as most players who will have been with clubs for enough years will naturally be those who agreed to schoolboy contracts and are thus local, and it will also help the club game, by ensuring that clubs cannot continue to poach whole rosters of players, but will instead have to actually develop talent.

Hall Of Fame
    I like the idea of only having 3, let the players play in their own areas and stop shipping them all over the ****ing place and when we watch the MLS All Stars play there are only a handfull of US player on the team the rest are from all over the world.

Practice Squad
    This will not be happening because of the EU. the EU has a law that allows free movement of labour which means an EU citizen can work anywhere else in the EU. This idea has been banded around by the english papers who blame clubs like Arsenal for the problems of the national team but the fact is that English players are over-rated and far too expensive. we got Fabegas for free while united got carrick for 18m, we got van persie for 4m while spurs got bent for 17m. If a player is not good enough to get in a team then they arent good enough. your not entitled to a place just because your from that country.