Thread: Waiver Wire?

Veteran

Waiver Wire?

Can someone explain to me how this works? I herd the Rockies won the waiver right to Livan by beating out another team. how does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    Can someone explain to me how this works? I herd the Rockies won the waiver right to Livan by beating out another team. how does that work?
    I just heard on WFAN, that since he was on the Twins the teams in the AL have the 1st right to Livan but it goes by record since the Rockies and prob. the Mets put in the claim and the Rockies had the worst record they have the right to work out a trade for him.

You'll never know the ups and downs we have experienced over the past 24 hours, and unfortunately, I'm not permitted to share the details with you per MLB rules. Obviously, our conversations ended in troughs rather than peaks, but it was a wild ride nonetheless.

In the past two days we were serious enough to exchange names with seven different organizations in wide-ranging deals. A number of those deals even went through multiple iterations of players involved, which generally gives any deal life and a much better chance of happening. In some instances, the deals were just too skinny for us to accept, and in others our trading partner decided to move in another direction (or not move at all). At the end of the day all of our deals fell within the 95% that get discussed but never happen.

That does not necessarily mean that the players we have now will automatically be with us for the remainder of the year, though, as a number of deals happen after this July 31 deadline every season. The August waiver trading period is a bit tricky, so I'll attempt a point-by-point explanation:

No player can get traded after July 31 without being placed on trade waivers.
    Unlike outright waivers, August trade waivers are NOT irrevocable. In other words, if we place a player on trade waivers, and another organization places a claim on that player, we can take him off waivers if we don't want to lose him or trade him.
    Once a player is placed on trade waivers, the other 29 organizations have 48 hours during which to place a claim. If a player is claimed by another organization, one of two things can happen: a) the player can be traded to (or simply given to) the claiming organization only or b) the player can be pulled off of waivers by the originating Club. Any trade with the claiming Club has to be consummated within 48 hours.
    If a player is claimed on trade waivers, and the originating Club pulls that player off of waivers, he CANNOT be traded for the remainder of the season unless... the originating Club puts the player on trade waivers a second time. If they do this, however, the waivers become irrevocable so any claim would result in the automatic assignment of the player to the claiming team.
    If a player goes unclaimed, he can be traded to any other team at any time.

Due to these rules, many teams will place virtually there entire 25-man Major League roster on trade waivers at some point during August (maximum of seven per day) even if they have no intention of trading any of them. Furthermore, many teams will place claims on players with absolutely no intention of acquiring them. They do this in order to block another organization from being able to trade for that player. This can get tricky, though, as the originating Club can choose to dump the player on the claiming Club along with the player's entire contract.

Ok, I'm not sure I've made it any clearer. The point of it all is that trades can and will be made during August. However, there are many more obstacles in the way.
    http://itmightbedangerous.blogspot.com/

Veteran
    Think i got it.. thanks guys