Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedro is Done

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Pedro is Done

We can not afford to send this guy out every 5 games anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So if he pitches 5 shutout innings after that first inning, will you still consider him done?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    So if he pitches 5 shutout innings after that first inning, will you still consider him done?
    Yup.

His ERA is still gross and he always puts the team in the hole early. He is DONE.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Pedro, but he's got to start performing sometime real soon. It's his 11th start on the year and he still has an ERA over 6. We have to accept that maybe our best 5 man rotation with Maine healthy might not include Pedro.

Granted, most of the #5s around the league suck balls, but that doesn't make what he's given us acceptable either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If any pitcher in the game deserves extra time to get his game together its Pedro. Would you all please stop complaining and be thankful that this guy, a sure first ballot hall of famer, is our #5.

Would you rather Adam Eaton our #5?

He will come around, take it easy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great signing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Great signing.
    Don't understand the hate for Pedro. Guy had one of the greatest seasons ever for your team and all you do is hate on him. Kind of like how once Manny stepped out of MA everyone tore him to shreads.

you stay classy now

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    Don't understand the hate for Pedro. Guy had one of the greatest seasons ever for your team and all you do is hate on him. Kind of like how once Manny stepped out of MA everyone tore him to shreads.

you stay classy now
    I'll try to explain again:

1. LOVE Pedro. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

b. Bad signing by Mets. BAD, BAD, BAD.

See?

(P.S.: How do you know what I think of Manny?)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

See?
    At the time it was done it really wasn't bad but hindsight is 20/20. The years were a concern sure but you take a gamble on that to bring him here and unfortunately it hasn't worked out great but it's no Pavano/Zito situation. Red Sox wanted him back too.

Never said I did. Boston papers and media were sure quick to turn on him though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

See?

No homo?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the time it was done it really wasn't bad but hindsight is 20/20. The years were a concern sure but you take a gamble on that to bring him here and unfortunately it hasn't worked out great but it's no Pavano/Zito situation. Red Sox wanted him back too.

Never said I did. Boston papers and media were sure quick to turn on him though.
    That's not true at all. Plenty of people felt Mets gave Pedro too many years, including myself.

Also, what are you talking about when you say "Pavano/Zito situation"? Who thought the Pavano would be riddled with as many injuries as he has, and who actually thought Zito would be this bad? From what I remember plenty of teams where going hard after Pavano, including the Red Sox.

http://www.wnbc.com/sports/3990034/detail.html

Pavano's agent, Scott Shapiro, met with the media Friday night and said his client was choosing between the Yankees, Boston, Detroit, Baltimore and Seattle.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-10-2008 at 10:46 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, ESPN and Gammons led the charge.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    That's not true at all. Plenty of people felt Mets gave Pedro too many years, including myself.
    Already mentioned the years but thats what it took to get him here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Also, what are you talking about when you say "Pavano/Zito situation"? Who thought the Pavano would be riddled with as many injuries as he has, and who actually thought Zito would be this bad? From what I remember plenty of teams where going hard after Pavano, including the Red Sox.

http://www.wnbc.com/sports/3990034/detail.html
    Never talked about why they signed Pavano, don't know why you are bringing that up. Hindsight though it was a disaster.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Already mentioned the years but thats what it took to get him here.

Never talked about why they signed Pavano, don't know why you are bringing that up. Hindsight though it was a disaster.
    I must of read your post wrong, oh well, and yeah... disaster is the perfect word for the Pavano signing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Bad title. I thought he had another hammy. We need this guy badly, and I think he can still return to form.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take 6 inn 1 R from him. Would have loved to see him go til the 7th, but we'll take what we can get from him right now.

Now if only the bullpen can hold it....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This bullpen is an absolute joke.

I am so sick of Feliciano especially.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'll take 6 inn 1 R from him. Would have loved to see him go til the 7th, but we'll take what we can get from him right now.

Now if only the bullpen can hold it....

Absolutely...He is perfect as a 5th starter. 90% of MLB would take his last few efforts from their 5th starter. He is healthy now and I have no problem with him.

I agree that we should have pushed for him pitching the 7th.

Let's hope that decision did not cost us the game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    To reiterate my previous point I found a comment by Minaya, of course why would Minaya bash his own signing yada yada yada...but here it is anyway.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

And for all the trials of the last three seasons – Martinez won 15 games for the Mets in 2005, and a total of 15 since – the Mets, Minaya said, would make the same four-year commitment to Martinez all over again.

“For me, he’s accomplished the goals of what we wanted him to do,’’ Minaya said. “He gave us respectability in the marketplace, he promoted the brand. We don’t get Carlos Beltran, Billy Wagner, other players unless we made that investment.

“We’re in line to draw four million fans. Our TV ratings are 300 percent higher. That all started with Pedro Martinez. Our minor leagues, our academy in the Dominican Republic, we don’t get (top prospects) like Wilmer Flores or Fernando Martinez unless we sign Pedro Martinez.’’

The ball is in the son’s hands.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Absolutely...He is perfect as a 5th starter. 90% of MLB would take his last few efforts from their 5th starter. He is healthy now and I have no problem with him.

I agree that we should have pushed for him pitching the 7th.

Let's hope that decision did not cost us the game.