Thread: White House Ordered Forgery of Iraq-AQ Link

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

White House Ordered Forgery of Iraq-AQ Link

Ron Suskind

The Forged Iraqi Letter: What Just Happened?
    August 5, 2008 | 01:09 PM (EST)

What just happened? Evidence. A secret that has been judiciously kept for five years just spilled out. All of what follows is new, never reported in any way:

The Iraq Intelligence Chief, Tahir Jalil Habbush -- a man still carrying a $1 million reward for capture, the Jack of Diamonds in Bush's famous deck of wanted men -- has been America's secret source on Iraq. Starting in January of 2003, with Blair and Bush watching, his secret reports began to flow to officials on both sides of the Atlantic, saying that there were no WMD and that Hussein was acting so odd because of fear that the Iranians would find out he was a toothless tiger. The U.S. deep-sixed the intelligence report in February, "resettled" Habbush to a safe house in Jordan during the invasion and then paid him $5 million in what could only be considered hush money.

In the fall of 2003, after the world learned there were no WMD -- as Habbush had foretold -- the White House ordered the CIA to carry out a deception. The mission: create a handwritten letter, dated July, 2001, from Habbush to Saddam saying that Atta trained in Iraq before the attacks and the Saddam was buying yellow cake for Niger with help from a "small team from the al Qaeda organization."

The mission was carried out, the letter was created, popped up in Baghdad, and roiled the global newcycles in December, 2003 (conning even venerable journalists like Tom Brokaw). The mission is a statutory violation of the charter of the CIA, and amendments added in 1991, prohibiting the CIA from conducting disinformation campaigns on U.S. soil.

So, here we go again: the administration is in full attack mode, calling me names, George Tenet is claiming he doesn't remember any such thing -- just like he couldn't remember "slam dunk" -- and reporters are scratching their heads. Everything in my book is on the record, with many sources. And so, we watch and wait....
    [URL="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ron-suskind/the-forged-iraqi-letter-w_b_117056.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ron-suskind/the-forged-iraqi-letter-w_b_117056.html[/URL]
    So now defenders of this administration have another name to add to the villain list of Wilson, McLennan, the Senate Intelligence Comm, Isakoff, Corn etc. They accuse those of us who believe that Bush lied of BDS. Well now Suskind says that he has indisputable proof of this act, which is by the way illegal. Congressional hearings are said to follow.

Ok fellows. Let the attacks begins.
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 08-07-2008 at 11:42 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2676450]
    Ok fellows. Let the attacks begins.[/QUOTE]
    Attack what? He writes like he was there, following the action around. This is reporting? Storytime? Narrative for a documentary?

You think anyone besides The Diverse Bumpersticker Society gives a s**t about these stories anymore?

Big Democrats have[I] moved on[/I], they've got majorities to protect and a White House to win - feel free to interpret this as an indication that all the dismay at the Bush administration was just an act. The sad part is the dopes left behind who drank the Kool-Aid are still digging through the sands of the past, inventing reasons to hate George Bush further.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sad but true. Just one more lie that no one wants to know about. The Dems have failed to bring anything better than their predecessors. They are all the same.

If you don't make cash you can't stay in office. You can't focus on important stuff because you gotta attend fundraisers and pretend to care about BS.

Politics

[QUOTE=sackdance;2676496]Attack what? He writes like he was there, following the action around. This is reporting? Storytime? Narrative for a documentary?

You think anyone besides The Diverse Bumpersticker Society gives a s**t about these stories anymore?

Big Democrats have[I] moved on[/I], they've got majorities to protect and a White House to win - feel free to interpret this as an indication that all the dismay at the Bush administration was just an act. The sad part is the dopes left behind who drank the Kool-Aid are still digging through the sands of the past, inventing reasons to hate George Bush further.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the Dems don't care about stuff like this because they want to be able to do it too when they get into power.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2676496]Attack what? He writes like he was there, following the action around. This is reporting? Storytime? Narrative for a documentary?

Big Democrats have[I] moved on[/I], they've got majorities to protect and a White House to win - feel free to interpret this as an indication that all the dismay at the Bush administration was just an act. The sad part is the dopes left behind who drank the Kool-Aid are still digging through the sands of the past, inventing reasons to hate George Bush further.[/QUOTE]

Great... but in your opinion, is it true?

Or... is it another fabricated lie by the Dems? Was Curveball a lie? Yellowcake from Niger? Unmanned drones off our shores? Nuclear weapons warehouses? Aluminum tubes for uranium? Mobile bioweapons labs? I'm being quite serious... In your all-things-invasion opinion, was this invasion completely legit and did our WH act with full integrity and honesty?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is this news? Of course they forged a document to bolster their case for war. Our government has done the same thing many many times before. Someone should go ask Hubbush how he is enjoying the 5 million in hush money he has...yours and my f*cking tax dollars getting handed to a former Saddam compatriot. Freaking disgusting.

What does everyone here think of Iraq's 70 billion+ budget surplus? Do you think they would pay us back with it? Noooooooo...it's sitting in a bank collecting interest. Why would they pay us back with it??:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [/QUOTE]
    And you know this how? Have you read the book or did someone just tell you he writes like that?

Suskind is a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter and has an excellent reputation from both sides of the political spectrum but that probably means nothing to you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2676818]How is this news? Of course they forged a document to bolster their case for war. Our government has done the same thing many many times before. Someone should go ask Hubbush how he is enjoying the 5 million in hush money he has...yours and my f*cking tax dollars getting handed to a former Saddam compatriot. Freaking disgusting.

What does everyone here think of Iraq's 70 billion+ budget surplus? Do you think they would pay us back with it? Noooooooo...it's sitting in a bank collecting interest. Why would they pay us back with it??:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

REAL AMERICANS are more concerned about those stinkin Mexicans earning $5 an hour for minimal labor jobs than to be concerned about the 5 mill this guy got

more and more diversions...........

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is not the $5 million Habbush got. If this is true the White house authorized fraud. This is obviously criminal behavior and someone should go to prison.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suskind is a very good reporter and tends to be both very well sourced and document-driven in his reporting. His book on Paul O'Neil was really a first-rate look into the Administration with tons of documentation, and "The One Percent Doctrine" did offer some important insights into how exactly we got into Iraq.

That said, this is really a bombshell accusation, and I feel like it needs to be corroborated someplace else before we all start treating it as fact. I am completely convinced that both willful ignorance and sins of omission were used to sell the war. That's pretty much established at this point.

But I am not yet completely convinced that outright fraud was used to make the case, which is the accusation here. If Suskind is right, someone will emerge to back him up eventually.

Until then, I am taking this with a grain of salt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2676987]It is not the $5 million Habbush got. If this is true the White house authorized fraud. This is obviously criminal behavior and someone should go to prison.[/QUOTE]
    The point is how do you investigate something like this? If Congress tries to the White House will claim executive privilege and none of the players will testify. The Justice Dept. should but fat chance that they will.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes it seems like the worse the crime is, the more untouchable our politicians become.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2677053]
    [B]But I am not yet completely convinced that outright fraud was used to make the case[/B], which is the accusation here. If Suskind is right, someone will emerge to back him up eventually.
    [/QUOTE]

You've got to be kidding. The White Paper alone, a WHIG slant on the NIE of 2002, was complete and utter fraud. The Downing Street Memos were more evidence of fraud... The repeated lies on Meet the Press every Sunday morning, despite stated denial from intelligence circles, were profound evidence of fraud...

Outright fraud is so abundant in this calamity, it makes the evidence against OJ pale in comparison.

'Beyond a shadow of a doubt'

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2677946]You've got to be kidding. The White Paper alone, a WHIG slant on the NIE of 2002, was complete and utter fraud. The Downing Street Memos were more evidence of fraud... The repeated lies on Meet the Press every Sunday morning, despite stated denial from intelligence circles, were profound evidence of fraud...

Outright fraud is so abundant in this calamity, it makes the evidence against OJ pale in comparison.

'Beyond a shadow of a doubt'[/QUOTE]

You may be right. And as soon as somebody corroborates Suskind's accusation, I'll be right there with you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2678027]You may be right. And as soon as somebody corroborates Suskind's accusation, I'll be right there with you.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... To me, they all corroborate eachother... Suskind, at this point, is merely another corroboration in 5 years of documented fraud. This goes far beyond a few liberals wanting to "stick it" to conservative leadership with baseless accusation. This is former intel officers, foreign heads of state, and bi-partisan allegations. ... It's like every month there's a new bombshell about how blatantly they lied, and KNEW they were lying. But nothing is ever done about it, because of our spineless Congress.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Last edited by Press_Coverage; 08-08-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2676734]Great... but in your opinion, is it true?

Or... is it another fabricated lie by the Dems? Was Curveball a lie? Yellowcake from Niger? Unmanned drones off our shores? Nuclear weapons warehouses? Aluminum tubes for uranium? Mobile bioweapons labs? I'm being quite serious... In your all-things-invasion opinion, was this invasion completely legit and did our WH act with full integrity and honesty?[/QUOTE]

sackdance, chime in...

perhaps you just missed it, but i ask again...

is it all a "witchhunt"? was the cause for Iraq legit on every level? be honest... your particular opinion is important...