Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Daily News: Discussion about skipping Pettitte's next turn

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Daily News: Discussion about skipping Pettitte's next turn

Tired Andy Pettitte still set to start
    By Mark Feinsand
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 9:08 PM

Andy Pettitte says he feels well enough to pitch, but there are those within the Yankees organization that believe the lefthander may be suffering from some fatigue in his pitching arm.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, there was some internal discussion about skipping Pettitte's next turn through the rotation to give him some extra rest.

But with the rotation already thin following the recent injury to Joba Chamberlain, one which forced the Yankees to bring up Ian Kennedy from the minors, Pettitte is still scheduled to make his start on Sunday in Anaheim.

"He's starting Sunday," manager Joe Girardi said. "Whether I start him on five days or six times the next time, I don't know. But he's our starter Sunday."

Asked about his situation, Pettitte told the Daily News that he still planned to pitch on Sunday.

"That hasn't even been discussed," Pettitte said when asked if he might miss a start. "Do I feel as good as I'd like to? No. But it's that time of year."

Still, the fact that there is some concern over the lefty's arm should be disconcerting, since the Yankees are already without Chamberlain, Chien-Ming Wang and Phil Hughes in the starting rotation.

Pettitte has been hit hard in each of his last two outings, giving up nine runs in 5 1/3 innings against the Angels on July 31 and five runs in five innings on Tuesday night against the Rangers. While he is not one to make excuses, a tired arm would explain his recent results.

Kennedy is set to return from the minors to make the start on Friday in Anaheim, while Dan Giese is lined up to pitch Saturday against the Angels.

Pettitte is 12-9 with a 4.34 ERA this year, combining with Mike Mussina (14-7, 3.44) to solidify the top of the rotation in the absence of Chien-Ming Wang. With Joba Chamberlain on the disabled list and likely out for at least three weeks with rotator cuff tendonitis, an injury to Pettitte would leave yet another huge hole to fill for the Yankees during their postseason drive.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba..._to_start.html

just f*ckin great....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It certainly would fall in line with the rest of the season. We might as well be uniform in our injury problems. From what we envisioned at the start of the season, we could be (this is a very negative outlook, yet possible) with this rotation for the next couple weeks:

Moose
    Ponson
    Kennedy
    Rasner
    Giese

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    It certainly would fall in line with the rest of the season. We might as well be uniform in our injury problems. From what we envisioned at the start of the season, we could be (this is a very negative outlook, yet possible) with this rotation for the next couple weeks:

Moose
    Ponson
    Kennedy
    Rasner
    Giese
    that would be absolutely horrible

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    that would be absolutely horrible
    It wouldn't be that horrible if we were in AAA. Still pretty poor though.

Guys are dropping like flies on this team, it's incredible.

Guys who have missed at least a week at a time:

Wang (most of the season)
    Matsui (most of the season)
    Posada (most of the season)
    A-Rod (a few weeks)
    Jeter (2 weeks?)
    Joba (2 weeks at the minimum, likely a month, possibly the last 2 months)
    Hughes (most of the season, may come back)
    Kennedy (half of the seasonish?)
    Damon (a week or two)

Who am I forgetting?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    It wouldn't be that horrible if we were in AAA. Still pretty poor though.

Guys are dropping like flies on this team, it's incredible.

Guys who have missed at least a week at a time:

Wang (most of the season)
    Matsui (most of the season)
    Posada (most of the season)
    A-Rod (a few weeks)
    Jeter (2 weeks?)
    Joba (2 weeks at the minimum, likely a month, possibly the last 2 months)
    Hughes (most of the season, may come back)
    Kennedy (half of the seasonish?)
    Damon (a week or two)

Who am I forgetting?
    Bruney and I'm pretty sure Molina was out for about a week early in the season and Moeller was forced into the starting role. Either way it's pretty rough.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a little surprising considering Pettitte has always been a second-half pitcher. I can't even imagine watching this team a full turn through the rotation if Pettitte has to miss a start. That will just be flat out ugly.