Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennedy just doesn't get it.

Kennedy just doesn't get it.

Not sure he is the type you want on your club.

NYPOST
    Asked to replace Joba Chamberlain in the rotation, Kennedy was spanked so hard he didn't register an out in the third inning of a 10-5 loss that was witnessed by 44,158 at Angel Stadium.

With the Yankees' season circling the drain on two fronts - the AL East and wild card - Kennedy wasn't bothered in the least by giving up five runs and nine hits in two-plus innings.

"It's always disappointing, but it's my first bad outing in a long time, since the All-Star break," said Kennedy, whose previous seven starts were in the minor leagues.

"I felt like I made some good pitches and got out of the second inning. I am not too upset about it. You move on, and I have already done that. I am not going to look too much into it."

When those words were relayed to Kennedy's teammates, they were met with arched eyebrows. After all, this is a pitcher who has now failed all three major-league tests given to him this year, a pitcher who is 0-4 with an 8.17 ERA in 10 games (nine starts), a pitcher who has given up 50 hits and 26 walks in 392/3 innings.

When asked if Kennedy will make a scheduled start Wednesday against the Twins, manager Joe Girardi said, "He is in the rotation. He has to find a way to get better."

Yet, if Kennedy believes last night wasn't bad there is no hope - because he was awful.

Five straight hits in the third led to his dismissal and the Angels erasing a brief 3-2 Yankees lead.

At this time a year ago Kennedy was preparing to fool everyone with a solid September, a month that should never have been trusted.

So much for the former first-round draft pick out of USC in 2006 blazing through three levels of the minor leagues a year ago and the three solid big-league outings in September.

After faltering in two previous big-league gigs this year, the only thing Kennedy has proven is that he can succeed at Triple-A, where even Kei Igawa has tasted some success.

The Angels are 24-14 in the last 38 games against the Yankees, and their 72-43 ledger overall this season is the best in the majors.

The Yankees missed a chance to gain ground on the Red Sox in the AL wild-card race and trail them by three games. Since the AL East-leading Rays beat Seattle last night, the Yankee deficit is 6½ games out of first place.

Alex Rodriguez, who started the game in a 0-for-15 slide, homered in the first. Xavier Nady homered in the sixth.

Jered Weaver took advantage of the Angels spanking Kennedy and reliever Brian Bruney to post the victory even though he wasn't sharp. In six innings, Weaver gave up five runs and seven hits.

Torii Hunter went 4-for-5, homered and drove in four runs to highlight a 17-hit attack.

Four runs in the seventh off Darrell Rasner and Bruney put the game away for the Angels.

Chien-Ming Wang isn't returning. Chamberlain says he will be back from a bout of rotator-cuff tendinitis before the end of the month, but we will see. Journeyman Dan Giese goes today against the best team in baseball, and Andy Pettitte's last two outings have been terrible.

Until last night there wasn't a Yankee who didn't understand the severity of the situation surrounding the club. Then Kennedy entered the room, dressed, got spanked, undressed and told the world, "I am not too upset about it."

He was the only one who wasn't.

Angels:10

Yankees: 5

george.king@nypost.com

SHARE BOX

Buzz up!Show your support.
    Buzz this article up.DiggRedditEmailLinkPrint

Honestly.. I'd send him to Class A, he gave up more hits than he got outs, and he's not upset?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-09-2008 at 03:08 PM.

I'm not ready to call Kennedy a AAAA player after only 1 year in the bigs, like Pelfrey he could turn it around (Though Pelfrey always has a very good fastball) Anyways.. like I said I'm not going to give up on the pitcher yet, but he needs an attitude adjustment. I don’t think he is a bad kid at heart….Still, you can only go by someone’s actions and words and Ian’s actions and words are those of an arrogant punk. I'm not going to excuse his comments by saying he's naive when it comes to the media. You don't have to be a media sophisticate to be truthful and take responsibility for your own lousy performances. Ian needs to be a standup guy and right now he's not.

this is a kid who experienced fluke success early here who we will probably end up trading for pennies on the dollar and will end up being a decent national league starter....boy a package of kennedy melky and jeffrey marquez for johan santana looks pretty good right now doesnt it? sometimes cashman falls too much in love with his prospects...everybody loved kennedy last year when he was lumped together with joba and hughes....a smart gm knows when to sell high..tabata was another example of this..you could have put a tabata and marquez together and would have gotten johan....i am starting to doubt cashman a little bit now....

Quote Originally Posted by KotiteKid View Post
    this is a kid who experienced fluke success early here who we will probably end up trading for pennies on the dollar and will end up being a decent national league starter....boy a package of kennedy melky and jeffrey marquez for johan santana looks pretty good right now doesnt it? sometimes cashman falls too much in love with his prospects...everybody loved kennedy last year when he was lumped together with joba and hughes....a smart gm knows when to sell high..tabata was another example of this..you could have put a tabata and marquez together and would have gotten johan....i am starting to doubt cashman a little bit now....
    it does... doesn't it?

To bad that was NEVER on the table. The deal with Kennedy/Melky involved also included Wang.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-09-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Get his value back up and eventually trade him. I've actually always been okay with trading Kennedy. Hopefully he can get his value back up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    it does... doesn't it?

To bad that was NEVER on the table. The deal with Kennedy/Melky involved also included Wang.
    ohhkaayy there buddy how do you know this? Are under cashman's table when he is discussing trades..my point here is that cashman doesnt have a great eye when it comes to his prospects...he overvalued melky, kennedy, horne, marquez, tabata etc.....all these guys have been a big disappointment this year and are/were significantly devalued..

ohhkaayy there buddy how do you know this? Are under cashman's table when he is discussing trades..my point here is that cashman doesnt have a great eye when it comes to his prospects...he overvalued melky, kennedy, horne, marquez, tabata etc.....all these guys have been a big disappointment this year and are/were significantly devalued..

It would be interesting to see a 2008 report card from Sean on the Yankee call-ups based on how they have actually faired.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    It would be interesting to see a 2008 report card from Sean on the Yankee call-ups based on how they have actually faired.
    Of all the the prospects he's named only 1 of them have been called up to the Bronx, and all of the other one's have been injured this season, yeah injuries are part of the game.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-10-2008 at 12:26 PM.

How about Austin Jackson, Mark Malancon, and Jesus Montero, are they being overvalued? Do you want a report card on them? They haven't been called up the the majors either, I can cherry pick prospects as well.

Of all the the prospects he's named only 1 of them have been called up to the Bronx, and all of the other one's have been injured this season, yeah injuries are part of the game.

EH was more talking about farm system call-ups that were deemed sure things before really doing anything on a consistent basis. Kennedy and Hughes were horrible before the injuries. Gardner was a bust as a everyday player. Duncan =AAAA player...same for Rasner.

Veras has been ok though the long ball penchant is not best suited for a critical late inning role. Ramirez is now hinting at duplicating last years performance when the games got bigger. Robertson's stats are also now horrendous.
    Last edited by chad101; 08-10-2008 at 01:05 PM.

EH was more talking about farm system call-ups that were deemed sure things before really doing anything on a consistent basis. Kennedy and Hughes were horrible before the injuries. Gardner was a bust as a everyday player. Duncan =AAAA player...same for Rasner.

Veras has been ok though the long ball penchant is not best suited for meaningfull late innings. Ramirez is now hinting at duplicating last years performance when the games got bigger. Robertson's stats are also now horrendous.
    Gardner.. has never been touted as a every day player, Duncan.. I never liked, Rasner? Duh...

Players (Ramirez) are aloud to have rough pathes, he's been solid all season. and after great start, Robertson has been getting roughed up, he's got great stuff.. I'm sure you aren't ready to say he sucks.

Hughes is going to be good, and Kennedy I dunno, small sample size.. but I don't like his stuff.

You are vastly exaggerating when you say we have called them sure things. People need to be patient.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-10-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Gardner.. has never been touted as a every day player, Duncan.. I never liked, Rasner? Duh...

Players (Ramirez) are aloud to have rough pathes, he's been solid all season. and after great start, Robertson has been getting roughed up, he's got great, stuff.. I'm sure you aren't ready to say he sucks.

Hughes is going to be good, and Kennedy I dunno, small sample size.. but I don't like his stuff.

You are vastly exaggerating when you say we have called them sure things. People need to be patient.

Well you did say in spring that you'd be fine with Duncan over Giambi.

You also need to revist the call up Brett Gardner threads.

Exaggerating would be if I had deemed the bullpen elite based on a good month.

Well you did say in spring that you'd be fine with Duncan over Giambi.

You also need to revist the call up Brett Gardner threads.

Exaggerating would be if I had deemed the bullpen elite based on a good month.
    More like Betemit/Duncan over Giambi, which is still bad. Giambi obviously has made that look ridiculous. Curious as to what the Yankees will do with him over the offseason. Go ahead and look through the Gardner threads, unless he can keep his OBP at or around what he did in AAA, then he's nothing but extra outfielder. Obviously we don't know what he will be yet. The guy had a cup of coffee. Hopefully he learned a lot during his short time in the majors, and as well as Joe has managed the bullpen this season, I haven't liked what he has done of late. He's been leaving guys in way to long.

How about Austin Jackson, Mark Malancon, and Jesus Montero, are they being overvalued? Do you want a report card on them? They haven't been called up the the majors either, I can cherry pick prospects as well.

my point is sometimes you need to trade these "prospects" before they become suspects. and at the very end of the santana negotations when minnesota knew they overplayed their hand by not taking the hughes melky package i thought i read somewhere that it was a kennedy, melky, horne, and a marquez tyoe guy that would have gotten it done....that compares favorably to what the mets gave up

my point is sometimes you need to trade these "prospects" before they become suspects. and at the very end of the santana negotations when minnesota knew they overplayed their hand by not taking the hughes melky package i thought i read somewhere that it was a kennedy, melky, horne, and a marquez tyoe guy that would have gotten it done....that compares favorably to what the mets gave up
    I understand what you are saying, but you are misinformed, that deal was not rumored to be on the table. Trust me, if the Yankees said no to a Santana deal that didn't include Hughes, Jackson, Melancon, Montero I would be pretty damn pissed off myself. I was always willing to give up Kennedy in a deal for Santana. Personally I like the thought of getting Sabathia for nothing but $$$ than getting Santana for prospects and $$$$.

GET YOUR **** TOGETHER IPK.

UPDATE, 3:05 p.m.: In stunning news Ian Kennedy has been optioned down to AAA Scranton. No word yet on who starts Wednesday.

Joe Girardi played “I’ve Got A Secret” and wouldn’t reveal the move until 2:45 p.m. The reason given was they wanted Kennedy to focus on throwing a good bullpen.

But Kennedy isn’t an idiot. He knew the score when Billy Traber walked in the clubhouse this morning. “I kind of had a feeling,” he said.

Kennedy was sent down with instructions to work on his pitching, not work on throwing seven shutout innings. He has proven he can win in the International League. He need to work on specific things now like his two-seamer and curveball.

Kennedy also apologized for his comments the other day, saying it didn’t come out the way he wanted. Several players, including Andy Pettitte, to him about how better to express himself in the future.

GET YOUR **** TOGETHER IPK.
    Wonder if they go with Aceves or Geise?
    Girardi loves the media attention issues like this brings him. He will go down as a failure as a Yankee manager when all is done IMO.

Wonder if they go with Aceves or Geise?
    Girardi loves the media attention issues like this brings him. He will go down as a failure as a Yankee manager when all is done IMO.
    Little early for that kind of talk isn't it?