Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 blocks under police lockdown

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

10 blocks under police lockdown

[QUOTE]HELENA-WEST HELENA — A neighborhood here is on police lockdown, all over a $ 6, or maybe $ 8, debt.

The feud started earlier this week, when a man recently released from jail refused to pay the money back to a neighbor, residents and authorities said.

A group of men jumped the ex-inmate and fired guns into the air and into homes, mostly after dark, residents and authorities said, prompting some people to sleep on the floors for fear of being struck by stray bullets.

The man and his buddies retaliated — with guns, as well — turning the already high crime neighborhood into what residents said sounded for a few nights like a combat zone.

As a consequence, Mayor James Valley on Thursday called for a lockdown of the roughly 10-block neighborhood northwest of City Hall, in what was formerly West Helena. No loitering. No walking the streets. “No hanging out.” On Thursday night, 18-20 police officers carrying M-16 rifles, shotguns and night-vision scopes saturated the “ curfew zone” for 5 1/ 2 hours, arresting about eight people and confiscating drugs and loaded weapons, police said. “It’s something akin to martial law in that particular area,” Valley said. “It got to the point where somebody was going to get seriously hurt or killed if we didn’t do something.” Residents in the lockdown area have mixed feelings about the mayor’s executive order, which Valley said he would keep in place until the City Council can come up with a long-term plan at its Aug. 19 meeting.

Some residents like the police presence. Others call it overwhelming. The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas calls it unconstitutional. [/QUOTE]

[url=http://www.nwanews.com/adg/national/233689/]more[/url]

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    unconstitutional

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, what else are they supposed to do? Let them all kill each other? Let innocent people get killed by stray bullets?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2682781]Well, what else are they supposed to do? Let them all kill each other? Let innocent people get killed by stray bullets?[/QUOTE]

You would have loved Maoist China

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2682842]You would have loved Maoist China[/QUOTE]
    You might not have minded it too much yourself, comrade.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

When you have these ****ing animals running wild, turning a neighborhood into a war zone, what are you supposed to do? Shrug your shoulders and say, "Well, at least this isn't Newark"? Maybe locking down the city completely wasn't teh right course of action, but I have no problem with an influx of cops prowling the streets with M-16's, making arrests left and right. If temporarily instituting a curfew is the only way the police can gain a little leverage on the scum, then what would you suggest?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

And if they weren't there people like you wolud be screaming that the"poor", or what ever"minority or ethnic group" they belong too is being neglected via discrimination. Damned if you do damned if you don't

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2682856]When you have these ****ing animals running wild, turning a neighborhood into a war zone, what are you supposed to do? Shrug your shoulders and say, "Well, at least this isn't Newark"? Maybe locking down the city completely wasn't teh right course of action, but I have no problem with an influx of cops prowling the streets with M-16's, making arrests left and right. If temporarily instituting a curfew is the only way the police can gain a little leverage on the scum, then what would you suggest?[/QUOTE]

Have a properly trained Police force come in and arrest the people breaking laws. DO Not lock down a neighborhood and deny all of the people misfortunate enough to live in this area their god given right to freedom.

It sounds to me like poor police work and probably a little political and police cowardice mixed in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2682853]You might not have minded it too much yourself, comrade.[/QUOTE]

You are such a nice person.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2682867]Have a properly trained Police force come in and arrest the people breaking laws. DO Not lock down a neighborhood and deny all of the people misfortunate enough to live in this area their god given right to freedom.

It sounds to me like poor police work and probably a little political and police cowardice mixed in.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't know, I'm not a cop. I don't know the proper tactical response in this situation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2682903]Well, I don't know, I'm not a cop. I don't know the proper tactical response in this situation.[/QUOTE]

Neither am I but denying citizens their liberty does not sound like the proper response to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why didn't they just arrest a gang member and waterboard him? It's such a great and productive tactic, why aren't we using it domestically?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what will happen everyday in every state if Obama is elected.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2684527]This is what will happen everyday in every state if Obama is elected.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping you'd have more substantial input on this subject, since you're in law enforcement.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2682867]Have a properly trained Police force come in and arrest the people breaking laws. DO Not lock down a neighborhood and deny all of the people misfortunate enough to live in this area their god given right to freedom.

It sounds to me like poor police work and probably a little political and police cowardice mixed in.[/QUOTE]the freedom has been taken away by the criminals not the police...do you understand?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2684458]Why didn't they just arrest a gang member and waterboard him? It's such a great and productive tactic, why aren't we using it domestically?[/QUOTE]..i got stories for you about the fuzz in the bronx in the 60's and 70's...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2685324]..i got stories for you about the fuzz in the bronx in the 60's and 70's...[/QUOTE]

Is everyone on this website registered AAPR members? :P

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a Monday morning quarterback, but this does not sound like a very good operation. Over reaction seems to be a better word for it. There is going to be a lot of lawsuits over this and it seems that the majority of crime happened in a short time span. Never heard of anything like this happening in the 12 plus years I have been in law enforcement and I am glad I do not work or live in this town.

Philadelphis has run Operation Sunrise and are in the process of doing some other initiatives in certain areas, but I can not see how you can you stop and investigate everyone for simply walking in their own neighborhood.
    That is def. a constitutional no no and the town will be paying for years to come.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2685312]I was hoping you'd have more substantial input on this subject, since you're in law enforcement.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2685318]the freedom has been taken away by the criminals not the police...do you understand?[/QUOTE]

So you think giving unlimited power to the Government is the answer?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2682625]unconstitutional[/QUOTE]

Leave it up to the ACLU